passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DmC (Devil May Cry)

spatular

I wanted to start this thread mainly so "run" could be in the sub-title bit, and maybe a video, but that bit has gone so i'll have to type something about the game i guess.

i'm quite far in, about 3/4, wasn't enjoying it at first, there's lots of story/unnecessary stuff at the start, and i was just hammering the same button to win (playing on easy), but as the games gone on it introduces new stuff at a nice (in this case slow) pace and forces you to use different attacks/mix it up a bit, so i started to have some more fun with it, to the point i'm enjoying it now, it's fun. Even on easy it's not so easy you don't have to think about it, you don't have to think much mind - just enough to make it fun. the controls could get confusing though, there are a lot of button combos you need to know, but the slow introduction of new stuff helps here and i haven't struggled too much with the controls.

there's lots of platformey type bits which mix it up a bit, they aren't bad but aren't particularly good either.

so yeah good stuff, after a slow start imo anyway.

The DMC series has always been a harsh mistress, even on normal difficulty. I remember the first boss in DMC3, the three-headed frost dog-thing, it was tough as hell that early in the game. Also, the two bosses Agni & Rudra... I spent alot of time on those two :(. Awesome pair of swords afterward though. Apparently this game isn't as difficult as it's predecessors, although this is from the same people moaning about a change of hair colour :huh:

Very much looking forward to this, all evidence suggests I'm going to love it. I've been very tempted to just pick it up on the 360, but I must stay strong and wait for the PC version! Not long now...

Finished this last night, last boss was pretty easy to a point then i had no idea what to do, looked on youtube and it was so simple i felt stupid. the story even gets pretty interesting at the end. not much else to say, it's good, i enjoyed it, but i'm not the sort of person to get the most out of it by playing on harder difficulties and understanding the combat in more depth and stuff.

Had my first angry moment with PC gaming just now because of this.

ShopTo delivered it early as usual, so all day I've been looking forward to getting home, putting my feet up and spending a few hours on this. I try to install the game from the DVD, Steam pops up and says "enter the key", then states it's not released yet and invites me to try again after the release date with a big "CANCEL INSTALLATION" button as my only course of action.

I know that's fair enough, release dates bollocks and all that, but I never had this problem on a console, I could just put the disc and off I go etc etc.

Now I'll have to wait until an unspecified time on Friday. Stupid Steam <_<

you could try using Tunnelbear, it lets you go through a US ip address. I've used it a couple of times and it's worked fine, but there are warnings that steam can ban your account for it (it seems very very unlikely, probably only if you're playing banned content or buying stuff)

I played the first level. I like it, it looks really good, and the music fit in with the style very well. I wasn't exactly a virtuoso at the combat, but once I've unlocked a few more moves it might feel a bit more fluid.

It runs super smoothly on Ultra, but annoyingly I still get a bit of screen tear in cutscenes even with v-synch turned on in the options.

• 11 months later...

I think I'm gonna be amending my GotY list because I think this game is legitimately awesome. I liked it from the demo but it has turned out better then I expected.

I'll get the nit-picks out of the way. It could be tighter and I would prefer a hard-lock in their somewhere. I know it's more about crowd management like God of War (It's much, much better than any God of War, mind) but there are moves that do require some accuracy and I did find myself launching somewhere I didn't want to be. And while a appreciate the addition of the platforming section they could also do with a serious tighten up as well.

While the combat can get a bit finger tying it does have loads of scope within it to have some fun, and it also has a good variety of enemies that encourage experimentation so you do find yourself building up some real long combos.

And while I said I think the platforming needs tidied up I do still like what they've done. Sometimes it's like the combat in how finger tying it can be and it can catch you out as it seems simple. It's a nice distraction, anyway. It's good at spacing things out.

I like all that story stuff, too. I like how Dante and Virgil are done in that they are opposites but aren't enemies (yet) and I like how they do i in this game. They tease at something one does pissing the other right off but it doesn't happen... I dunno, it's good dramatic tension, I think. I wasn't expecting that, though I haven't fully played a Ninja Theory game so that's maybe why.

I also think Dante's one-liners are better written than I've heard people say. Some don't raise a chuckle but others do. It doesn't have a bad hit rate.

Oh, and I've not talked about those graphics, but they're awesome. My favourite looking game in ages.

Cool game, anyway. It's a shame it wasn't the hit it needed to be... I maybe should have bought it...

Done! Really, really liked it. I think this was an attempt to take a genre game and turn it into something bigger in scope, not unlike Resident Evil 4, but this isn't pulled off as well as that. But like I said, I still really, really enjoyed it and appreciated it on the most part.

I just loved the whole style, art direction and themes it had. It was just right up my street, all of it.

I also had a quick look at the harder mode and it's glorious. I'm gonna be playing through this again pretty much right away. Part of me wants to save it because since I liked it so much I actually want to own a physical copy of it and if they make an edition with the Virgil DLC included at a £17.99 to £19.99 price point I will buy it in a heart beat.

I kinda feel like a doofus for picking MGR: Revengeance over this... I mean that's good, but this was the early 2013 hack 'n slash to go for in hindsight.

But guys. His hair. You aren't true raving lunatics gamers unless you complain about his hair.

I loved it as well. Started Virgil's DLC but didn't connect with it quite the same. It didn't have that silliness the main game had. Dante was a surprisingly likeable protagonist.

I knew I shouldn't have stopped playing this, the combat is too complicated to just dip back in to half a year later and pick up where you left off.

My problem with Devil May Cry, all of them, is that there isn't enough health around. I don't mind having to buy items, but you can do pretty well in a fight but get hit once, same the next fight, and the next, and never be rewarded with free health.

Despite now being fairly shit at the game and not having enough to replace the health items I've used I still think this is the easiest DMC game I've played. Enemies wait for you to attack them, it's lighting responsive (on PC), and while I'm complaining about not being able to top up my health items, I still have 4 small ones and one that will fully restore my health, plus a couple of revive things. Presumably you can revisit previous levels, if so I think I'm going to do that to practice the combat and maybe earn some stuff.

I've just done the succubus fight though, decent enough fight, but the dialogue was great :lol: