passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2

DANGERMAN

Ed sent me this to play the other day and so far I'm really enjoying it. Unlike a proper Dragon Quest game your character doesn't get directly involved in the fighting, using monsters instead. In fact unless you specifically tell your monsters what to do they'll just attack how they want. There is that option though, you can be specific and tell a monster to heal or cast a fire spell (for example), or be more vague and tell it not to use magic or fight defensively.

So far things have been fairly easy, I've played enough Dragon Quest though to know that at some point I'm going to have to tell my monsters to cast kabuff, go defensive, or not to use magic because the enemy have cast bounce. At the minute I've been telling them not to use magic because they use it constantly, pissing away their magic points on enemies it takes 1 hit to kill.

You catch monsters by 'scouting' them during a fight. Basically you're impressing them with your strength, so your monsters hit them (this doesn't do any damage) filling up a meter, get it to 100% and they'll definitely join you, but I've had monsters join me on 45%. The problem is they join at a low level, and because you need to be stronger than them to impress them, you're getting them after they'd be useful. New recruits do level fairly quickly, and monsters you've had a while will start to level up at a snails pace. However I've got a slime, the first monster I caught myself, that should by rights still be part of my team, but because I know the newer monsters have more potential I have to drop my level 15 slime for a level 8 cureslime who does next to no damage.

Monsters in your reserves do get some experience when you fight but I'm fairly sure it's reduced, so if you want them to level up quickly then you have to put them in. You also then need to grind because they join at such a low level.

Most annoying thing so far though, there's giant monsters in each area, the first is a giant worm (there's also a troll who's too strong for me at the minute), the second looks like Zodd from Berserk, a big winged dog type thing. This randomly appears on the map when you're above ground, spins around looking for you, then rushes you, killing one of your party. Which means heading back to your base to rest, to trek back to where you've just been.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying it, I think it might get a bit tedious, but I can't complain too much about what I've played

Played some more of this, actually I intended to get 999 done but I've got hooked on this. It turns out it's basically an easier Shin Megami Tensei game, you collect monsters to fight for you etc, but once you've done the first few areas you gain the ability to fuse them.

Monsters are graded too, most of my team are F+, or at least were, including some that have been really good and feel stronger than that, but I've fused an E+ and a D+ who hopefully will develop into really powerful monsters. The problem of them starting back at level 1 is still an issue, it means going to a new area, getting powerful enough to convince a monster to join you, sticking them as your subs and grinding until they are level 10. Once they're level 10 they can be fused, which starts them back at level 1 again so you have to grind for ages. By this point the monsters in your party are pretty handy so you have to grind even longer (especially as the subs get reduced exp) before your new monsters are as strong as them

Aside from that it's really good, I'm at the point where you can really see the difference in strength from when I entered an area to when I'm done with it