passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New Super Mario Bros U

spatular

Not got that far in The main game yet, it's pretty similar to previous games on ds/wii so far, it's good fun. But I'm crap so find it frustrating sometimes. Anyway mainly wanted to say how brilliant the challenge mode is, there's loads of stuff like time trials, finish sections without touching the floor, collect coins in a time limit, etc, all with gold/silver/bronze medals for doing well. I'm really enjoying doing these, only thing is a quicker restart would be good. Being able to play on the controller is pretty cool too.

Yeah! Finished this today, it's good fun, probably my favourite 2D mario game out of the ones I've played, but then I haven't played a lot of the older ones that people probably think are the best ones. There's still loads of stuff to unlock and hidden levels and stuff, but I'm not sure I'll go back to the main game mode.

The challenge mode is a different story, I've unlocked loads of challenges now, maybe around 50, not sure how many there are. Passed about half of them, but barely any golds. I'm still really enjoying this mode much more than the main game, bite size challenges that are pretty tough remind me of another platformer I really like-super meat boy. and it's keeping varied too with things like collect the least coins possible, and there's stuff in there that I haven't seen in the main game, like penguin and propeller suits. Edit- doing stuff in the single player mode seems to unlock more challenges...so I might go back to single player.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a huge post but the site crashed and I lost it, bad times.

Basically it's really good, gives me a lot of the same feelings that the old ones did, particularly super mario world on the Snes. It's a great launch title I'd say, and it's been good fun going through the game with the misses who isn't normally a gamer but it's been like playing alongside me when I was a kid, watching somebody make the same mistakes and eventually get the hang of when to time the jumps and stuff.

Some of the latter levels are pretty hard, and finding the secret paths had been challenging, just finished the ghost house on the snow world and that was a real bitch, hats off to anybody that does that without looking at some kind of guide or throwing their toys out of the pram.

• 5 months later...

got the luigi dlc, it's pretty much exactly as i'd read - harder, shorter levels and luigi has different physics. i quite like it but think it'd be better if nintendo coppied stuff like trials for the instant restarts, and getting rid of the lives system.

should have waited for the cool case.

got the luigi dlc, it's pretty much exactly as i'd read - harder, shorter levels and luigi has different physics. i quite like it but think it'd be better if nintendo coppied stuff like trials for the instant restarts, and getting rid of the lives system.

should have waited for the cool case

Yeah, that last line. I've got a physical copy preordered, it's the case that's won it for me.

The main NSMBU game I think is really good though, easily the best of the 'New' Super Mario games and I like it better than Super Mario World as well, thanks to it being more challenging and having some really fiendish secrets to find....it was a really pleasant surprise for me after I thought New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS was a bit shit. Super Mario Bros 3. is still the best 2D Mario game though, that hasn't changed yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to the last bit and only had 3 lives so went scouring the old toad houses till I had 20. Bowser fight wasn't too bad, I remember it being really hard but maybe that was from one of the DS games. Overall enjoyed it but not as much as the main game, still loads of levels to do mind, I've pretty much done the minimum to beat bowser.

• 2 months later...

this is definitely better than the 3DS game, it's got some great levels in it too. To be honest my memories of it are going to be largely swearing based, it gets really tricky if you're going after the coins. I unlocked a secret route on the world map that got me to the last area bypassing 2 others (last area before the castle) so I've got quite a lot left to dip back in to. I wish I had this installed on my WiiU hdd, not that I've got the space, but having it there just to dip in to, a bit like a handheld game would be pretty cool.

I might be imagining it, but I died a few times because of unresponsive controls, maybe the game runs at 30fps or something, but I can't shake the feeling it was lag from playing on the gamepad. Eitherway here's a picture of Bowser

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016tk8e.jpg

Glorious looking game isnt it, I think people really disregard this game because its not a Mario galaxy, but its really something special, good level design and it really doesnt look out of place in the mario world family.

Id say it only really works as a single player game. To be honest, the idea of playing it with another person leaping around should have stopped in the whacky nintendo idea room. In practise its a nightmare, especially if the second player is not that skilled. Jumping on each others heads, knocking the other person of a ledge or just putting the timing off are all really frustrating in a game that can be pretty tricky in places and requires the most precise of timing. Should add that its still a perfectly good 'take it in turns' kind of game, just simultaneous multiplayer isnt great.

As a single player game its excellent though, easy enough at certain places to be fun, and hard enough later on to give you the challenge you want.

• 1 month later...

This game is awesome, no doubt its awesome. Its hard, that's ok, i dont mind a challenge. But I really hate the Ghost Houses (as I did in NSMB2). I'm stuck in one on Frosted Glacier, I remember getting a little stuck on one the world before (i think, it feels like ive played this game in a wierd order) and I entered this one with a glum heart. Its not even fun. Its not enough to not make me want to play anymore, I've got the real jones for this game atm, but these ghost houses can fuck off. I moght have to cheat just to get it out the way.

Hmm I remember getting really stuck on one of the ghost houses, it might be that one, theres a room with a wall made of coins and a little P block that you keep coming back to over and over I think.

I can only half remember it really, but I think theres a false wall a little below the level where the P block is or something. I seem to remember a moving platform too, that I think you run along to get to the hidden door.

I remember it because its not intuitive at all, and took me a fucking age to find. I was determined not to use a guide too so I had that old school thing of having to just puzzle it out over three days or so, going to work with that on my mind was a fucking agony.

Yea, its looks like this from memory:

post-80-0-52980500-1384513397_thumb.png

Hit the P and those coins appear down the bottom and stuff. Get out the door that works (two are fake), then you run through a long corridor with a big coin at the end, through a door and back to that room. Repeat untill you want to die.

POST ART SCHOOL EDIT: Under those blue coins would be blocks that used to be coins before the P block was pushed, thats the moving platform maybe Sam was on about? I tried both walls either side, im sure I did.