passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 4

Jimboxy

I did a start to finish with Mighty Mika, King of the Norge and I enjoyed it a bit more than I was expecting. It's still not a very good game, but it has good points. Story wise I think it's a fucking mess. I did a quick google to see if it was what I thought it was and even the fully explained versions of what's happening is full of holes. I'd love to see if the people here could translate it any better.

It's really lazy design wise too. In the previous Halo games you had these massively sprawling levels that all locked together, and for all things looked the same and you retread a path or two a few times, it felt cohesive. It felt like a place that could exist. Here in Halo 4 it feels like a series of rooms that ended up on the cutting room floor that they managed to work into a game by circumventing the whole "They don't really fit together" by making you walk through endless black holes.

I don't dig the Promethean as enemies either. They are too similar to fight as The Covenant are. I know The Flood get a lot of hate, but when you were fighting either The Flood or The Covenant you had to adapt on the fly, taking weapons that were better for either situation. That tactical decision to kit yourself out has gone, what you fight one lot as you can fight the other lot with just as efficiently. You don't need to alter anything, just carry on inch by inch and you are good. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but bring The Flood back! :blink:

EDIT: Or the Brutes, they have a different fighting style to the usual Covenant troops.

Also, bring Arbiter back. I always prefer him over the dull Chief.

I'm really enjoying the special ops or whatever the game calls them. They are brilliant fun. They are not as good as Firefight, but they are still a hell of a lot of fun to play with friends. I'm looking forward to seeing how these episodes pan out.

I'm fucking horrible at MP. I'm currently carrying a 0.77 k/d. Normally I wouldn't worry about that but it's quite important as a team player in this to hold your own. I should play more Regicide when I'm on my own, I tend to do better there than anywhere else. I'm still fucking shite at it though, I've not won a game of it yet. It might help if I stopped playing with people that chip in right at the end and leave me with assist points. Bastards.

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/Sly%20Reflex/wargames/

Depending on how you've done in the campaigns and previous Halo games you can add codes alien written codes from HERE into either the Halo Waypoint app on 360, or THIS website. It's not really much but it's a nice set of armour parts for you to play virtual doll house with your Spartan. If you're going to get killed a lot might as well look a bit different from the others.

About the story, yeah I found it confusing, apparently watching the waypoint videoes explains a lot but you shouldn't have to do that and I haven't seen them myself yet. The story to me is sci-fi nonsense like it always has been, but I like sci-fi nonsense.

About the portals I'm torn a bit as I don't like backtracking and when you're told to go do something, then you get there, then have to fight back to where you started to be just told to go somewhere else, can be annoying, the portals get rid of a lot of that, but also agree that they make it a bit disjointed.

Anyway I'm more interested in the multiplayer, was worried 343 might mess it up, especially with no beta and the perks/kill streak bonuses/unlocks, I like how everyone is equal in previous halo games, even reach with the armour abilities - they were still available to everyone. I still think its a bit early to judge if some of this makes it a bit unbalanced, but initial impressions, from 100 or so games is pretty positive, it's still halo, and I still think the multiplayer is brilliant.

I still don't like the idea of the perks, but nothing seems too powerful so far. And I don't like the idea of the weapon drops for doing well, but they are not too frequent, and what you get is pretty random, so I often get a choice from a load of things I don't really want anyway, but some things can be a big advantage, like the saw. Unlocks are also not too bad as you unlock the important stuff pretty easily. I still think I'd like it more without that stuff.

The new ctf rules of being able to shoot when carrying the flag I was also a bit worried about but it seems to work well and I still really like ctf games. The new teratories/base capturing game is really good too, if a bit confusing to work out who is going to win at times. There's still a lot of modes missing which I hope can be added into the playlists later. The maps seem pretty good too, can't think of any I really dislike anyway. I even don't mind the new FFA mode, and I don't really like free for all, it's good how it keeps things even by making the leader a marked man.

I used to like how you'd be assessed based on how well you do but now it doesn't really take into account deaths that much, but that's only a small thing.

Anyway I think 343 have done a great job, both single and multiplayer.

had some games with hinn the other night, good fun games :)

I had a good few games on multi too actually, the maps arent as good and so on, but its only just been released and im sure better ones will come along. I think all the new things are good additions, I still get a bit annoyed at people not playing very teamy, there are too many cases of an opposition player getting in one of the mechs and dominating, which just doesnt need to happen, if everybody works together then you can easily wipe out any vehicle, but when a team is scattered then the vehicles can wipe you out.

I love the Ghost, got a ton of splatter kills where newer Halo players obviously just arent used to it, so blindly run along the massive open spaces not looking whats around them - perfect double kill fodder.

Id like a few more of the more fun game modes, ive never really had a game where i get a shit ton of medals like I would do on something like multi team slayer for example, but as with the map packs, this will come.

Completed the campaign.

Felt like it was a hard push at teh start, but ended up as somewhat of a wet fart.

In my opinion, too many obligatory vehicle sections.

The final boss seemed a bit of a let down. and did anyone else find that a lot of the game towards the end felt liek it was lifted from star wars? Falling into the Sarlacc pit? flying a space ship across the surface of a ship?

Initially I hated multiplayer, and found myself being destroyed. I'm not the best halo player, but in Reach, I could certainly hold my own and would regularly finish near the top of the board. I was playing regular slayer and getting my ass handed to me. Started playing Big team slayer and it's clicked a lot more.

Able to hold my own, able to get a better K/D spread, and generally survive a lot longer.

I've never been bothered about my Kill/Death Ratio, I go for the "storm in like Rambo and go fucking ballistic" approach. I may die a bit, but I take a fair few bastards out with me. Fire half a Battle Rifle Clip, then twat them in the face. Fun times.

Thats what Halo is all about, if you are playing team battle anyway. If you are on free for all then you are guaranteeing a frustrating evening as people just sit on the fringes and mop up the kills. I like to be comfort myself that even though ive just died and am getting corpse humped by three of the opposition team, the grenade from my team mate will score me three assists and him three kills.

The one thing ive not got back to yet is the plasma grenade kills, I used to do so well with that, plasma sword and sticky grenade would easily see me on a rampage, but at the moment its just instant death, is it just me of have they taken away the lunge from the sword?

Nope, the lunge is still in there, I've been done by it a few times.

I was playing the Spartan Ops last night and I've noticed an alarming amount of people in this are complete dickheads. Because XP given is related to how much you kill, it seems some people are intent on dicking over everyone in the lobby at every possible opportunity. Although they've turned some aspects of the team killing off people have still found ways to kill other players so they can take the kills and rank up more. It has been a while since I play a game where it was as infested with pricks as this is.

I noticed a problem with the scoring as well in Spartan Ops. I spent a whole game driving for a another player in the Gauss Warthog. We went the whole mission without any trouble, he managed somewhere in the region of 70 kills while I had none because I was behind the wheel. I got something like 300XP out of it and a nice and a thank you message from the guy I was driving about. I didn't even get the match complete bonus! To compare I've run about a whole map just killing random Grunts and received 10 times more XP. That doesn't really make sense. I wondered why nobody was interested in driving vehicles about if they were not shooting and now I know why, you are not rewarded for it. They should make it a 50/50 split on XP, the gunners would be fucked without drivers, so why do they get treated so badly in rewards terms?

haloty.png

You only got the thank you message because its an old man that wants to play with your willy.

I used to get a ton of XP from being wingman or whatever it was, when somebody in your vehicle gets a kill, it used to be a huge source of XP for me in Reach or Halo 3.

Loving this! It's the first time I've properly played a Halo game online, and I'm liking it a hell of a lot. Currently level 14, I tend to favour the assault rifle but have also unlocked the battle rifle and DMR. I'm playing mostly 4v4 and FFA, as I prefer the smaller maps and quicker games. Tempted by the season pass, will it be a mixture of map sizes or mostly larger scale ones?

Single player is good too, although I'm only on the third stage.

^ can't say what 343 will do but previously it's usually been a mix of small/medium/big maps.

, is it just me of have they taken away the lunge from the sword?

Like sly says its still there but I think they might have reduced the distance a bit, like they have for the punching.

What perks and load outs and stuff are people using?

I'm using the regen, extra amo and armour I think. Not sure how useful the regen is, it's good if you can run away and use it, but if you're still being shot at it doesn't seem to do anything, which is probably for the best. Fast reload sounds good to me as does infinite sprint, might try them.

im loving it too ed! Ive never really gelled with halo competitive multiplayer in the past, always found the matchmaking system baffling and the lack of customisation and general bells and whistles a bit boring compared to cod and bf. i must add i didnt play reach though. now that theyve taken some of the good ideas call of duty has been rocking for 5 years, made the graphics shit hot (im not a gfx whore but its always nice and feels fresh for halo - both apparent fidelity and all the redesigns of weapons, armour, enemies etc), sorted out the matchmaking, and given us a grade A lobby system, i think its the bollocks. really impressed. havent played the sp yet.

ive certainly seen people teleport to me when they hijack a vehicle im in, thats annoying!!

Yeah that's pretty normal, well for the previous games anyway so I'd assume it's the same, if they've pressed the button at the right time they'll hijack the vehicle but the animation can't catch up with the vehicle so they sort of warp there.

What perks and load outs and stuff are people using?

I'm using the regen, extra amo and armour I think. Not sure how useful the regen is, it's good if you can run away and use it, but if you're still being shot at it doesn't seem to do anything, which is probably for the best. Fast reload sounds good to me as does infinite sprint, might try them.

I'm using Hologram, Shielding, and extra Ammo. :)