passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rocksmith

spatular

So it's like rock band pro guitar, except you can use any guitar, and the notes are displayed differently. There's a 2d representation of the guitar neck, with notes coming towards it from behind, so it's like a 3d note chart, so yeah it can be pretty confusing. Probably a bit less confusing than the rockband version for me though. You can flip the guitar neck upside down so it looks more like guitar tab.

It starts off pretty easy with barely any notes to play, I have played guitar a bit before but not much in the last 10 years and even back then I was a noob. It has some dynamic difficulty thing going on so as I'm not a complete beginner it upped the difficulty, then when I started missing a load of stuff it drops it back down - this seeme to work pretty well at keeping it not too easy and not too hard, for me anyway.

I've just been playing through the main career type mode where it gives you some songs to play one at a time, then when you've played them each to a reasonable standard it suggests you play the 3 or so songs in a set list all together and if you do wel enough you get to play an encore song. I think you can just ignore this and play whatever songs you want though as I played high and dry from a list of songs.

There's a practice mode and arcade games that are supposed to help teach guitar technique, not tried those yet.

The recognition works well for single notes but chords it seems to struggle sometimes, although I'm probably not playing it that cleanly. and it can be a bit slow giving you credit for hitting the chords as it has to work it out. It's very lax on hit windows, I don't really see that as a bad thing though.

So yeah I've been enjoying it, and unsurprisingly my fingers hurt a bit now.

Anyone else giving this a go?

I want a go, but from what a few people have told me it's not great, the recognition is off. The tuning isn't right either so what you are actually hearing with your bare ears isn't what you should be hearing.

I still want to have a stab though.

Nah. The game should pick up e B G D A E notes from an open strum, or alternate tuning if the song requires it. From what I've been told when you tune the guitar to what the game wants, if you plug the guitar into an amp is sounds awful. I don't know if the game requires a weird tuning to work but from what I have been told it's far off what could be considered standard tuning.

this is the first I've heard of it, everything I've seen has been pretty uniform praise

but as others have said, I'd be using it as a way to kick me back into playing guitar again, so if it does that, I'd be picking up my acoustic to play outside of the game anyway

I'm pretty much tone deaf so couldn't tell you if it sounds wrong, well it sounds ok to me, but I can check against a proper tuner - if I can find it anyway.

It's pretty cool how the game acts like an amp applies the proper effects to the guitar so it sounds like it should from the song you're playing. They recommend against using hdmi for sound as apparently it adds lag.

Music is subjective so I think this is the track list:

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/tracklist/index.aspx

There is some dlc too, nothing compared to rock band mind, I think this is the USA list but I've definitely seen a number of these on xbl, I'll be picking up the radiohead song and maybe a few others.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/downloads/index.aspx

I think the track list Is pretty good, as in there's quite number of songs I really like, plus a lot I've never heard of too mind.

Bass support is in there. It says it's 2400 points dlc for the American one but it's included in the uk version.

Bought this morning on the way home, installing as I type :)

I'm impressed with the audio help poster, unfortunately though I can only use HDMI with my setup so hopefully I won't have too many sync issues.

Can someone pos spatular? Fat fingers strike again :(

Well this is awesome :o

I would advise anyone who plays guitar to get a copy as it's fantastic. The way the riffs change depending on how well you're doing is genius.

Also the first time you play a power chord reminds you of how brilliant it was when you first started playing. No idea how welcoming it would be for complete beginners but they do start off very easy.

i'm still really liking it too, upto about the 4th level/set of songs. i really struggled on song 2, oddly as i used to be able to play it a bit, i think it's the big movements between notes, i can't do them without looking at my hand. i'm still on pretty basic versions of the songs - the difficulty seems pretty spot on for me.

I want a go, but from what a few people have told me it's not great, the recognition is off. The tuning isn't right either so what you are actually hearing with your bare ears isn't what you should be hearing.

I still want to have a stab though.

I haven't had a problem with the tuning and I've got an electric with soundholes so you can hear the real guitar as well as what comes out of the speakers and it sounds pretty right to me.

Having said that, the tuner you use before each track is pretty forgiving (you can opt for a more robust one) and I just watched some of the Giant Bomb quick look and Vinnie's guitar sounded pretty off to me when he tuned it and the game let it pass.

I'll experiment with using my own tuner at the same time and see how close they are, but I suspect it is actually proper concert pitch.

Got a bit further in this, but won't get much chance to play it for a few days so have lent it to a mate.

Some good riffs and tunes in there - one of the last ones I went through was "Where Is My Mind?" by the Pixies which was good to play but helps that I already knew how to play it.

Went out and bought a second copy so my mate has an early Christmas present.

Put a lot more time into this, nearing the end of the guitar career I suspect, unlocked all the technique challenges and mini-games which really do help.

I haven't had any issues with the tuning so I don't know where that's come from. So far I've had a handful of drop D turnings and the rest have been standard, no weird alternate tunings to speak of. I have had some audio lag though so I've nudged one of the settings down a touch, though it is best to use a better set up than mine, going through HDMI.

The songs have largely been brilliant, even if you don't like the song it's usually a fun one to play. A couple have been a nightmare to play completely fresh though, a couple of instrumental guitar wank pieces.

I've managed to 100% a song now too! The Jarvis Cocker one, it has a great riff and is fairly easy. Once you 100% it, you unlock Master Mode for that song, where you play it and get scored on it but the UI is all turned off so you're going from memory. This is something I'd never attempt on Rock Band but makes perfect sense on here.

Tip for complete beginners - don't just plough through the career, do try to master each new technique challenge as they unlock because otherwise you'll come unstuck rather quickly.

Though having said that, I don't know how intelligent the game really is - it looks like it detects if you struggle quite quickly and adjusts what it throws at you to something you should be ok with. But still, take it slow cos your hands will hurt.

Highly recommend this for aspiring or current guitarists as it will really help. Plus the bass career is completely seperate with the songs in a different order due to difficulty.