Sign in to follow this  
wholehole

Guild Wars 2

Anyone else here planning on playing Guild Wars 2 at any point?

Not heard any chatter about it but just in case I'll update with the server I'm on and character name later on.

I played the headstart weekend, so far it's been a fairly smooth launch, and i've been enjoying myself a lot.

I haven't progressed all that far, as i've had a lot of fun just wandering around the map discovering all the points of interest, and getting involved in the dynamic quests that spring up, etc.

I'm playing an Asura Engineer, running around with dual pistols. It's awesome.

I should've been in the headstart also but Play fucked up my order :(

Still trying to decide on either a Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist or Engineer. May just try all four for a few levels each and see which one I like best. Will be choosing Char or Asura to start with depending on the class I pick.

Can't wait to get in and crack on.

I did one of the dungeon instances on Monday night. We died a lot, but eventually got through it with 4 spellcasters and an engineer.

It was fun, but I think they might have to tune them a bit in future to bear in mind you don't have the traditional crowd control and healer roles in this game.

I'm not particularly far in my character's personal storyline, I've been completing various map areas and doing the daily achievements.

What server are you on Craymen? I'm on Blacktide.

I've exhausted my options and tried every race's opening area, and every class up to around level 10. Settling with the Charr Ranger, which is the first character I started (go figure) and managed to get to level 20 so far. I think starting the dungeons at level 30 was a bit of a mis-step as I'm itching to play through some, although that may just be the WoW player in me.

Played through a bit of my personal story but some of those quests can be haaaaard. Mainly focusing on exploring and crafting atm. The heart quests are okay, not as enthralled with them as I was initially. They could do with some sort of indication to let you know how large the area is for the objectives to count. There's been a bunch of times where I've been looking for and killing stuff and it hasn't counted because I was just outside some invisible barrier.

Some of the launch-itis has gone now but I'm still enjoying it. The ease of being able to explore at you own pace is excellent, there's always something to do and you can always get back to civilization easily no matter where you end up. I'm still in awe when a big event multi-part event happens and so many players flock in from all over to join in. It gets pretty hectic but looks incredible with everyone's abilities going off all at once.

This is all gonna go down the pan once Mists comes out anyway but it's good to have something on the side that doesn't require another subscription as a kind of palate cleanser.

Guild Wars 2's first major content patch is nearly ready. It's the Halloween-themed Shadow of the Mad King and it's due out on 22nd October.

Players of Guild Wars 1 will know ArenaNet likes to go a wee bit overboard for Halloween.

"Halloween has a long history in Tyria, and in times past was always marked by the spirit of Mad King Thorn cavorting among the people unleashing his own brand of insanity," wrote ArenaNet. "However, it's been over 250 years since he was last seen, and for most people he is merely a figure of folklore. Despite this, rumours persist among the populace that something wicked this way comes."

For a week, Tyria will be transformed with Halloween decorations, new mini-games and dynamic events. It's also "the time when barriers between realms are weakest", teased ArenaNet. "Be prepared for an epic adventure in four acts starting 22nd October and running until 31st October."

Judging by a screenshot of a Halloween-decorated town/city, you're in a for a visual feast.

Evon Gnashblade of the Black Lion Trading Company will be stocking Halloween costumes and transforms that will allow you to play Costume Brawl with each other.

The Shadow of the Mad King patch will also bring paid structured PVP tournaments, which we covered in a separate post, as well as general new events, jumping puzzles, bosses, mini-dungeons and achievements.

That broad overview is all that's available so far.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-15-first-major-guild-wars-2-content-patch-is-shadow-of-the-mad-king

That advert is loltastic "Stop the graphics!!" :awe:

Have been thinking about getting back into GW2 as I enjoyed it a ton when it came out. Looks like the perfect time to do so. It's cool when a developer actually follows through with an April Fools joke.

I'm having some right hassle getting this registered, Arenanets system for resetting passwords and such is a bit overkill. I've had to open a ticket with them, as I'm just getting pointed around in circles following the links and support that the website forwards you to.

Sly, really sorry, I need to sort my Steam notifications out. Been missing stuff all over as they haven't been popping up.

Give me a nudge once you manage to get on and we'll do some stuff. I'm on the Blacktide server, so just let me know if you already have a different one lined up. I seem to remember being able to flip between servers easily but I'm not 100% sure how that works.

I think most people that play are on the Desolation server.

I've only fired it up once and looked at the server list. I've had so little time over the past few days to do anything.

What class are you Craymen? I'm going to start soon and I'm trying to pick a class none of us use.

EDIT: Engineer. I should learn to read before I post. I'm going to try and get a few of us on all at the same time. Games are better with friends. Are you in?

I'll try and get on Friday night. I think I'm going to play one of those plant people. No idea on class yet.

I created a character and stuff. I'm a bit confused with this game, it's not like anything I was thinking it was going to be. It's pretty bad at directing you as well, unless I'm missing something.

Also, when I picked my server it said you had to pay or use something to swap servers Wholehole. I don't know if that comes out of your own pocket or ingame pocket.

I'm going to try getting into this tomorrow with Craymen at 8:30 if anyone else would like to join.

That Heart of Thorns would be an expansion pack seemed assured—especially for those who have been following Guild Wars 2's Living World. Today, ArenaNet announced that that inevitability was, in fact, inevitable. Heart of Thorns is Guild Wars 2's first expansion, and will take players to a brand new area: the Maguuma Jungle.

Here's the trailer that premiered on the PAX South stage:

http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-announced/

More details in link.