passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Learning english through movies isn't that great, usually you don't understand half of it when listening and there's a chance you can't keep up with the reading either if you have subtitles in the same language to avoid confusion. I think books and games are better suited for that as you can progress at your own speed. I took me until I played through Oblivion in english to finally take the step and try listening to movies instead of reading their german subtitles. In fact I'd even consider that game to be equally important to the four-or-so years of englisch in school I had up until that point as far as teaching me is concerned.

Anyway, brackets closed.

I've watched 5 episodes of squid game, it's good I think but it's not really doing anything new so far. I don't watch a lot of netflix stuff anymore cause it feels a bit like a conveyer belt of content but it's good to see non English speaking stuff get a big push like this. 

It's a bit of a fucked up thing to take away from it but the main thing I keep thinking about is none of these fuckers are taking a shower in between all the murders. No wonder the 'soldiers' have to wear those masks, poor guys have it tough.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

it's good I think but it's not really doing anything new so far.

To be honest, I only watched the last episode but I got that vibe too. I did enjoy it, while being reminded of Oldboy and Ichi The Killer.

Finished that now, dunno how it compares to Oldboy didn't get that at all tbh. Found it a very dull and safe ending 

Spoiler

sequel baiting further seasons, yawn.

Overall though it was pretty good but when it gets more centered on the main characters towards the end it tested my patience cause none of them are as interesting as the weird gimmicks behind some of the games and the decisions people make in them. Which I guess means I should watch it wearing a diamond mask sipping scotch, first I sympathise with the soldiers now I just want to watch people die doing weird puzzles. But that's the good part of the show, so 🤷‍♂️

It was worth the netflix resub anyway. I think it needed a (minor oldboy spoilers)

Spoiler

big strong sort of twist ending that recontextualises the whole show or something like that. Which is what I expected when Och said it was like Oldboy. But it just ends sort of like 'tune in for season 2 for further mysteries'. I probably won't do that, but I had enough fun watching this.

I guess I was expecting something a bit more bold. But not to be overly negative (it's just that the last impression given is the most lasting one) as the episodes 1-7 are a decent stretch of quality it just doesn't go far enough with it imo. Ep 1-7 review is a 4.5/5, the whole thing is like a 3.5. The weak carry through is what takes it down for me

One thing that really bothers and annoys me is

Spoiler

the stuff with the mother having diabetic necrosis or whatever it is. She walks out of the hospital and his son goes off for a week to play murder games, but like it seemed pretty clear and evident that she needed that fucking surgery then and not later. I kept thinking of it the whole time, of course she was going to die. 

I watched The Motive tonight on Netflix. It’s a true crime doc series, there’s only 4 episodes of around half an hour each. It was good but the part that’s meant to make you wonder comes from the defence guy that’s clearly full of bs and I didn’t buy what he was hinting at for a second. 

Still, it’s mad that it happened and the aftermath or lack there of.

10 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Finished that now, dunno how it compares to Oldboy didn't get that at all tbh

Unseen antagonist controlling the actions of others?

I think we're on episode 4 of Squid Games, it's good but like others said, not blowing my mind.

Watched the first two episodes of Arcane (that League of Legends series) on Netflix yesterday and I'm really impressed. It certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel with its second class undercity and a family-like community drifting apart, but it's put together with seemingly effortless confidence. It's rather well written and the 40 minute episodes give everything enough room to breathe. And while it's not gore and nudity and swearing like Castlevania, it's also definitely not a children's show with episode 2 already showing a suicide attempt among other things.

Visually it's also very accomplished and without a doubt the most impressive animated production Netflix has put out there so far. It's straight up Pixar level, but with a very distinct and unique style. And some of the more subtle facial animations are really impressive, too.

Unfortunately I noticed too late that they didn't drop all the episodes straight away (I hate this btw., this is a streaming platform, not TV), but going by the first two, this could end up being something really special.

Watched all the available Arcane episodes now (again, screw that drip-feed nonsense on a streaming service). I can't stress enough how good this is. Episode 3 in particular was phenomenal in the way it was set up and concluded, this pretty much blows a lot of Netflix' recent live action stuff completely out of the water. I don't quite see yet where one of the three narrative threads is headed towards, but the show is so beautifully rendered that even in those moments you can just get lost soaking in all the visual splendour.

I'm surprised there isn't much internet buzz about this, but maybe it'll just take a month or so to become popular like Stranger Things back then.

(Also if this is the quality level Riot targets for their League spin-offs I can't wait for the RPG and the fighting game.)

I watched the first episode of the new Cowboy Bebop. I found it mostly fine, even enjoyable, but sort of blunt and awkwardly scripted. They can't really show, they have to have characters explain everything all the time as well. While the anime sort of just lets the visuals speak for itself a lot of the time. I will watch more of I think. I'm sort of surprised it's gotten really negative reviews, but I'd guess it's cause maybe the show is a bit redundant. I have seen the original but it must be well over 10 years ago now so I don't have a good recall of it. Just that it was very melancholic, while this is more zany and MCU with all the quips. 

I guess it's maybe a bit too weird for non anime people, and just nowhere near as good as the anime for anime people. But I'll watch more of it. I've a pretty high tolerance for cheesy dialogue cause my brain goes 'its anime init', even if its a live action of anime

No, it's essentially a westernised remake type of deal. 

Tbh I'd be surprised if you like it but who knows. It's mildly distracting trash which is what I need atm, and I do like the music. They brought back the original music director from the old series. One of the things it does right imo, even while messing some other stuff up

If you like this, try the original too. Subtitles are easy enough to get used to but also the original has a quite good dub too from what I heard