passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

^ I’ve been enjoying that (edit - the Netflix high score thing). Not keen on how they keep jumping between topics. And yeah some stuff I’ve heard before but I guess I wasn’t that up to date with stuff going on back then, and it’s quite American focused, but there’s stuff I’ve found interesting in there. Not sure if DANGERMAN will watch it but episode 4 is sega based.

I think it’s great. It’s not really a series made for people that have been gaming 30 years and know most of what will be presented but as a modern documentary series it’s clean and concise while informative and entertaining.

I’d certainly never heard of console f or the guy that had likely invented the first cartridge. Or knew about the woman that won that space invaders comp. I knew about that Nintendo World Championship but didn’t know who won or had seen any of the raw footage from their vhs camcorder.

The way stories are told with 8 bit animation or amusing skits I think works wonders rather than just blah blah talking head. 

It could be a meaningless coincidence that they released the DD trailer on the game director's 50th birthday

Not a fan of some of the animation in that trailer though. The main characters look robotic, and I'm not just talking about the pawns.

Gives off some Berserk vibes, if you've seen the new anime of that

I'm not too fond of that 3D animation style that tries to imitate classic 2D animation but then again some shows pull it off nicely, like Dragon Prince or Drifting Dragons. Lots of dragon everywhere it seems. Maybe Dragon's Dogma will do fine then as well.

Re. High Score (Netflix)

What concerns me, regarding this US made programme, is that the UK videogame scene of the 1980s was 8 bit home computers, not Atari VCS, NES & Master Systems.

The UK was on a videogame boom in the 80s, not really affected by the crash, with ZX81 ZX Spectrum, BBC Model A&B, Acorn Electron, Vic 20, C64, Dragon 32, Oric, Amstrad CPC  etc the mainstay of home gaming, then later with the Amiga & Atari ST, and PCs, prior to the big surge in the 1990s of the Megadrive & SNES.

Highstreet stores, WH Smith, Boots, Woolworths all sold systems & games, together with pocket money titles (£2-£3), from the likes of Mastertronic, that were sold through newsagents. Games were usually £5-£15, compared to £30+ for an Atari/NES/MS cart.

There's been a few UK programmes over the years that have covered this, especially big titles like The Hobbit and Elite, from UK development houses & bedroom programmers, and I think it's important not to get brainwashed by the whole Atari> Sega/Nintendo> Sony> MS timeline.

The documentary "From Bedrooms to Billions" covers UK videogame growth pretty well.

• 1 month later...

I watched American Murder last night on Netflix. I thought it was a series but I was happy to see it’s one and done.

Annoyingly I remembered the case early on so knew everything but it was still good to see so much footage etc. Also I’m always surprised by how fcking huge American homes are.

I'm always amazed at the wasted space in American homes - whenever they have a guest over there's never a spare room and someone usually ends up on the sofa. Even more puzzling if you've ever seen those infomercials for inflatable guest beds, that are clearly targeted at/from US market.

Finally got around to watching Season 3 of Castlevania and for me it was a mixed bag. During some of the longer dialogues - particularly the one with the boat captain and most of those between the wacky priest and the magician - I noticed I started to lose interest and focus. On the other hand there were some plot lines I rather enjoyed, first and foremost the entire relationship between Hector and Lenore which I feel isn't as black and white as it might come across in the end.

That said I think the pacing overall was too slow and the show a bit too chatty. I know the writer is a comic book veteran but you can do a lot with animation without saying a word. Case in point: the ninth episode, which was absolutely fantastic in its execution. 

I hope Season 4 finds a better balance but regardless I'm intrigued by where it goes. I'm a bit worried that they want to set this and the Devil May Cry show in the same universe though. Seems unnecessary.