passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

18 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

It's pretty, it's fun, and it's updated to reflect modern values - and decent enough all round if you're a musical theatre fan.

The trailers for this look absolutely trash but the Taskmaster comedians and the fact I'm a musical fan have brought me back in, might give this a go.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna recommend Midnight Mass on Netflix.  Like a lot of shows it maybe takes a little long to get going but it gets pretty great.  It's very Stephen King being about a small town with this hidden horror and it does it well.  I was really surprised by at since to me it came out of nowhere.

We've been watching Only Murders in the Building on D+ over the last week or so, it's really good. Steve Martin and Martin Short on great form, in fact everyone in it is really good. It's funny, but also a decent who done it thriller as well. Worth a watch.

This is moreso about foreign movies/TV I know but I had to watch True Detective Season 3 with subtitles. Not because of my hearing but the characters just constantly mumbled through it.

Lots of directors do this I think to make things more realistic or have you hang on every word. Fuck that, I'm just going to read the script on the screen thanks, fuck off.

True Detective 3 isn't worth it imo, no streaming recommendation here lol

Also it's a problem with modern TVs, they have very bad sound if you don't use headphones. I know sound bars exist, can't be arsed. Subtitles all the way

Loads of people I know put subtitles on for these very reasons. I’ve said it before but I put subtitles on lots of stuff now too. Sound mixing is terrible on most films and shows. Really quiet speech and really fucking loud action stuff. Does my head in. Why the fuck do they mix it so badly when most people struggle? 

Ive got a decent surround sound system with voice clarification and turned down the Dynamic range to help but I still struggle. 

I'm glad you native speakers feel like that as well, I thought my english comprehension was just awful.

Like darf said it really helps using headphones, I can barely understand dialogue over my soundbar but with headphones it's usually ok.

Dubs are insufferable IMO. I had hours of discussions with friends and people in german forums about this because they don't see it but it's just such an awful experience and drags every movie down. You see people moving their mouths and then hear someone else talk, it's super distracting.

It's been almost ten years since I lived there (ugh) but in Germany I'd say it's 80% dubbed and the remaining 20% are situations where you can choose the version you prefer. The latter is mostly reserved to the very big cinemas because they have rooms to spare or the very small, arthouse ones because their audience prefers the original version of a movie. 

Here in Luxembourg it's the original version, full stop. Whether that's english, french, german, chinese, nobody cares. If you don't understand it you need to read the subtitles. Exceptions are movies for kids which are usually shown with french or german dubs to accommodate the younger audience.

• 3 weeks later...

Squid Game is fucking awesome! Watched all of it whilst we were in Tenerife, lapped it up. There were loads of people on the Plane on the back watching it, one was watching it dubbed 😬

Also, Midnight Mass on Netflix is also excellent. A little slow at times but very cool, if you liked Haunting of Hill House and Haunting of Bly Manor you'll like this I think as it's by the same director.

Subs over dubs every day of the week, couldn't think of anything worse than watching something dubbed. It's kinda crazy that it's almost like a national policy for countries whether they choose to sub or dub something and usually where there's a need for English teachers are places (Poland and Spain for example) where everything is dubbed because places with subs learn English through the subs.