passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Some artwork for Season 4 of Castlevania:

EzB2He4VIAI8611.jpeg

Looks like Camilla will be going on a rampage at some point and Alucard is carrying his classic shield. Not much else to take from this I think. It's also going to be the last season Warren Ellis is involved with since him and Netflix parted ways after his me-too thing last year.

It's no Pixar for sure but already closer to the source material than the live action movies ever were. I think 3D or 2D animation is the way to go for videogame adaptations and I hope there will be more projects like this in the future than the recent MH movie for example.

Claire's vacuum shirt is a bit weird though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here’s a recent list from Polygon.

https://www.polygon.com/21266801/best-movies-on-netflix

Some of these are on my watch list (Da 5 Bloods, Good Time, Lady Bird, The Night Comes for Us). A good few of them aren’t on Japanese Netflix as far as I’m aware.

A few of them I wouldn’t put anywhere near the top 25 (Crimson Peak, The Ritual, Under the Shadow), although they are decent enough.

After I’ve seen some of the more high profile movies on my watch list I might make a list of my favourite 25 movies on (Japanese) Netflix, I could probably stretch it to 50 (and it still wouldn’t include the three movies above).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somewhere, a while back, I mentioned the book series 'The Wheel of Time'. A series so long (written from January 15, 1990 – January 8, 2013) due to hiatus and what not, that the author died (2007) before it was complete. There are fourteen books, in total.

Why is this relevant?

Robert Jordan’s beloved high fantasy series The Wheel of Time is coming to the screen. Finally. The first book, The Eye of the World, arrived on shelves in 1990. And now, decades later, Amazon Prime Video is bringing the world of Rand al’Thor, Matrim Cauthon, Perrin Aybara and so many more to life. It’s a rich story, dense with lore, magic, and about a million characters. The Wheel of Time series contains 14 novels, with Brandon Sanderson completing the last three books after Jordan’s passing. Adapting that much story is a challenge, and a TV series seems like the best way to approach it.

We know season one has eight episodes, but we don’t know how much story those eight episodes will cover. It’s possible they’ll cover roughly one book per season. Or more likely that they’ll bring in elements from different books as the adaptation dictates. That would be a more flexible way to tell the story. We’ll certainly update you when we have concrete information about this.

Season one’s directors include Uta Briesewitz, Wayne Yip, Salli Richardson Whitfield, and Ciaran Donnelly. Rafe Judkins is serving as showrunner We know titles for the first six episodes:

“Leavetaking”

“Shadow’s Waiting”

“A Place of Safety”

“The Dragon Reborn”

“Blood Calls Blood”

“The Flame of Tar Valon”

Watched Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf yesterday. Completely missed that it came out already.

I really liked it, it's a well done sort-of origin story for Vesemir but it also goes a bit further than that but I won't go into too many details. As a tale it's detached enough from the usual Witcher media content to be considered standalone, but I wouldn't advise anyone without prior knowledge to watch it as there's only so much lore they can explain during its 100 minute runtime. In fact I think the runtime is its only "major" problem, as some characters  most importantly the antagonist, whose ultimate motivation gets quickly exposed in a single sentence  fall a bit flat. Ten minutes more for some additional character-building scenes here and there would have helped, especially as the story feels a bit more convoluted than it actually is at the start.

The production was done by Studio Mir, who rose to fame with The Legend of Korra, but this is on another level. It shows what they can achieve when they're not limited by TV-show budgets and in some scenes it actually comes very close to classic Disney levels of animations. There are some heavy anime influences though, so you kind of have to accept that a character jumping means going ten, not one meter through the air an that Igni is not just a short fire wave but a screen-filling fireball. You could argue that this contradicts the lore but I looked at it as embellishments from a storyteller with a penchant for exaggerations.

Definitely recommended if you have a faible for the Witcher universe.

Cinderella (2021, Amazon Prime)

Updated musical starring Camila Cabello in the title role and a bunch of comedians who've been on Taskmaster in support - Doc Brown stands out as a rapping town crier, Rob Beckett, Romesh Ranganathan, and James Acaster support, whilst Idina Menzel, Pierce Brosnan and Minnie Driver add some star quality.

But, and it's an enjoyable but, it all feels a bit like watching a pantomime, with modern pop songs making up most of the musical numbers.

It's pretty, it's fun, and it's updated to reflect modern values - and decent enough all round if you're a musical theatre fan.