passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Booth At The End (Amazon Prime)

Odd one to recommend, as Season 2 is on Prime, but Season 1 is not - however it is pretty much a stand-alone 5 episode series, so shouldn't really cause much issue, as long as you're aware of the basic premise ; a mysterious stranger can grant the 'wishes' of people who undertake the odd tasks he gives from his book.

The set-up is that the timeframe of each episode is non-sequencial, so somewhat confusing, as you unravel each person's task and wish, as it goes back & forth, but each episode is only 20 mins, so best 'binge' watched.

The concept and acting is great, stories compelling, the whole concept of 'be careful what you wish for' is well handled, but don't expect a nice neat conclusion.....

We've been watching a lot of Dark on Netflix over the last few evenings. It is amazing, we've just started season 2 and if it can keep going as well as it has so far, I can legitimately see it being one of my favourite shows of all time. It's German, but a (pretty poor) English dub is available as well, but stick to the subs if you can. It is hard to describe without giving anything away, imagine a much more  gritty very serious version of LOST or Stranger Things but so much better than both of shows. It looks amazing, the cinematography is stunning. The acting is great, the script is really good, the story is pretty mind bending, has a lot of twists and turns. It is very character dense, but I think that is a good thing. If anything watch the first two episodes as that is when it lays out a lot of the broader ideas of the show, but stick with it as it is so so good.

Hamilton (Disney+)

Superb musical, or perhaps really operetta as there is minimal spoken dialogue. This is a filming of a live theatrical performance - not movie remake.

A huge amount of history and politics is covered in the 2hr 40min running time, focussed in the Act 1 on War of Independence and Act 2 Establishment of US Government and key principles and notable 'hiccups'.

Couple of oddities, the reuse of some cast from Act 1 into different characters in Act 2 threw me a bit, as too did the portrayal of Hamilton's 9 yr old son, and Burr's confession in the opening number seemed unnecessary, but they don't detract from a compelling story and fantastic mix of song styles and genres.

Definitely worthy of several rewatches.

Warrior Nun is pretty much a Buffy the Vampire Slayer type show.  I did find it to be fun. 

I also watched the Snowpiercer TV show.  The original film sat on my to watch list for ages but I forgot to get round to it and I think it's gone now.  So during a night of sleeplessness I stuck on the show.  I really enjoyed it but I dunno if its still worth watching if you've seen the film.  I'm sure there are some key differences so it works as a show but I dunno.  It held up pretty well as it's own thing to me. 

I watched the first two episodes and gave up, found it a bit too on the nose and melodramatic. 

You all need to be watching DARK, because it is fucking brilliant. We're about to finish the final episode, it seems like it is going to have a satisfying conclusion, which is rare. It's comfortably slotted itself in my top 5 shows list.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

We're about to finish the final episode, it seems like it is going to have a satisfying conclusion, which is rare.

Most likely because this was always planned as a 3-season-show, so they didn't have to extend the runtime in case of a big success or hastily wrap it up if it hadn't. They just stuck with their initial vision all the way.

I haven't watched it yet but I'm glad it's universally loved. German TV shows are usually super bland and boring so it's nice to see this shake up the local industry and prove that (surprise) something more fresh can work, too.