passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

I'll pop this here, as it's relevant to the sports doc chat above - even though it's on Sky Sports rather than Netflix:

Life of Ryan - an glimpse into Ryan Giggs' tenure as caretaker manager at Man Utd for 4 games at the end of the 2013-14 season. I guess they were just planning a doc on what was likely to be his last PL season as a player (who turned 40 that season). But a run of poor results saw David Moyes sacked just 10 months into a 6 year contract, and Giggs takes up the reins.

There's a few soundbites from footballing legends, Cantona, Maradona, Beckham, Scholes and Sir Alex, but it's really just a bit dull. No real insight into what was going on at Old Trafford in that turbulent post Fergie season, and nothing to really endear you to Giggs (esp. with the family scences, now knowing the widely published backdrop of his philandering ways).

One to avoid.

3 episodes into Space Force and sadly only laughed at one joke that wasn’t in the trailer.

It’s not terrible but it’s also not very funny, which for a comedy is a bit of a no-no, admittedly.

It’s worth watching for me to pick up on which politicians and officials they’re satirising. And Janina Gavankar is in it somewhere, so worth waiting for that bit.

At the moment seems a bit of a waste of so many big names.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to episode 3 of the Witcher and think I’m done. I think the show looks really amazing and very rich, I was surprised just how perfectly Cavill nails the Witcher voice that was pretty cool. But I just can’t care about anything else that’s going on. All of the other characters are so stereotypical. I feel like I’ve seen all of these archetypes done a hundred times before and none of them are even acting them out particularly well. It’s all just very lame and done to death. 

Tits, though, yay

I've watched the first episode of Space Force. There was one hilarious moment that made me laugh ("plastic button covers") but not much more. I appreciate the lack of juvenile sex and penis jokes usually found in ... "comedies" like this from the US but I was hoping for a bit more. Will watch a couple more episodes to see where it goes.

We stopped after the first three episodes. It's a decent enough concept and a good cast, but not very funny. It isn't on Netflix, but I'd recommend Upgrade if you have Prime. It's also written by Greg Daniels and was very good, funnier and more interesting.

@Jimbo Xiii For clarity, if I watch a film off a streaming platform do I put it in here or in the film thread (perhaps annotated with its source; cinema/Netflix/Prime etc)?

Not wanting to add an unnecessary level of admin or to be too pedantic about it, I'm just never really sure if I'm posting in the right place (i.e. whether this thread is for TV series, and all films go under film thread (unless MCU, DCCU), or if film thread is (predominantly) for new cinema releases and films watched via other media get discussed here?

Or, hey, it's 2020, there's many more important things to focus on, it doesn't really matter that much....