passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

On 04/02/2020 at 09:02, Maryokutai said:

Has anyone seen the Dark Crystal series and movie? In what order would you recommend watching them? As far as I know the series is a prequel but that doesn't always mean you should watch it first.

The series is a prequel to the movie, that's right. I've never seen the film though so no idea if one would benefit from watching that first or not.

The series is phenomenally good but you've got to concentrate to take everything in if that makes sense.

Finally caught up with The Good Place & what a perfect ending it was for the show, also I'm glad they took the decision to end it before it went on too long like a lot of shows.  It is up there with my favourite shows that I've watched.  Just a feel good, funny show with a great cast.

Also watched The Stranger which was pretty good, certainly better than I was expecting it to be.

The Dragon Quest 5 movie has been added to Netflix. Damn. I need to get back and finish that game before I watch it, I really - really - enjoyed that game. 

Hold on, Bianca! It’s been 7 months but I’m coming to rescue you!

Also My Hero Academia has been added as well. I know people love that show but I don’t know anything about it. Does anyone know if what they’ve added is the first series?

Don't sleep on Love is Blind everybody.

It's a dating show (stay with me) where some guys agree to marry women having never seen them. They're placed in these private 'pods' and talk with one another at length, eventually falling in love on an 'emotional' level rather than involving any physical attraction and proposing to them.

It's fucking wild. Some of the drama is fucking amazing and when it comes to the weddings (spoiler alert, some of them actually get that far) it's fireworks. Watch 1 episode and I can guarantee you'll be hooked.

Started the final Bojack season myself. It’s certainly been a great show, going from sheer ridiculousness (pretty much everything Todd does), to bleak and moving (Particularly the funeral episode that focuses on entirely on Bojack monologing).

I've started it too, in fact I think I'm in to the 2nd half of it. It's nothing like as bleak so far but it is trying to make some of Bojack's actions more real. It's made me realise that the show is so horrible and he's such a piece of shit that it maybe doesn't have the impact you'd expect 

Saying that though, my mood was genuinely affected last time I binged it 

Castlevania is failing to hold my interest. The first season I didn’t like, the second season I actually liked quite a bit, and this third season is doing nothing for me at all. Maybe the second season was a fluke.

• 3 weeks later...

I binge-watched – which was very easy with 7 episode à 25 minutes – I am not okay with this yesterday and I utterly loved it. It was the same kind of coming-of-age meets supernatural stuff mix that made me fall in love with Life is Strange but where LiS was more of a slow-burning sentimental ride, this is faster-paced and more witty but never neglects the serious moments.

I've read that the comic is quite a bit darker but I wouldn't say that this makes the show the lesser version, just a different one. That said, the cliffhanger setting up Season 2 could turn everything upside down because there's no source material to work with anymore (just like seasons 2 and 3 for 13 Reasons Why).

But that's still far off. As it stands this is a great show with a loveable cast.

Just finished the third series of Castlevania. Wow, what a ride.

It's slow paced, with meandering multiple plot lines then bangs it all together over an extended cliffhanger ending that sets series 4 up perfectly.

Beautiful, smart writing from Ellis (probably one of the finest living comic writers) dipping into multiple worlds, philosophy, morality and psychedelia. And big stars now doing the voice acting (well) such as Bill Nighy and Jason Isaacs.

Also maintains that world weary dry humour, and great hearing British and regional accents, rather than an Americanised cast.

For some reason I found the first Season of Altered Carbon extremely boring. It was a universe with endless possibilities and they just told a run-of-the-mill thriller story. Maybe it got beter later on but the first half couldn't hold my interest.

The new CGI anime looks really nice though but I have no idea if you need any knowledge about the live action version to understand it.

I’m a few episodes through Tiger King. Boy, that thing has some plot twists!

Granted, I’d had a smoke beforehand, but really hard to keep track of all of the crazy going on.

My conclusion so far is that they’re all crazy and as bad as each other.

I finished it about an hour ago. I didn’t think I could find a crazier story than the one in Don’t Fuck With Cats, but Tiger King is truly insane and they all deserve to be taken out back and shot in the face.

Not sure if I'd go as far as recommendation but the Justin Fashanu biopic 'Forbidden Games' certainly highlights a number of social differences and attitudes from the 1980 & 90s to nowadays.

The 'Love My Neighbour' clip, and several from Thatcher and other politicians of that period are particularly jarring. 

Made way after Justin's untimely death, it doesn't really go too deeply into his character, and skims over large parts of his downward footballing career, with the occasional sound-bite from former colleagues, and notably his, professionally more successful, brother John.

But as a period piece, against the attitudes of the time, it's really fascinating in parts; from being fostered to an older white couple in Norwich; to the youngest (and first black player) £1m transfer; and first openly gay footballer.