passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

On 22/12/2019 at 11:12, DANGERMAN said:

Tris is fine from what I've seen of her, doesn't look exactly like her but she seemed alright. Yen I'm not keen on, she's too young and a little plain looking for how striking Yennifer is supposed to be 

It's the opposite for me. Yen for me looks pretty Yen-ish, though I have to admit I never read the books. She looks younger but this is pretty much her origin story so it fits. She's also quite pretty as well which they could just barely hide during her hunchback days.

Triss is too much of a contrast from what I know (again, only from the videogames). She looks completely different but most importantly acts in a completely different way, as she's more emotional than CD Project's ironically cool redhead. It's not a criticism of course because I know the games took some liberties but I just need a bit more time to get used to it.

In the books, or what I've read, Tris comes across as younger acting, and a bit scared of Yen. Yen isn't the most powerful sorcerer but she's up there and a lot stronger than Tris. 

The thing that skews it a bit against the tv series I guess is that Geralt, Yen, Tris etc all have prolonged lifespans, they barely age, in the show its like the time just hasn't passed, it's difficult for them to portray time passing 

Up to episode 5 of The Witcher and I’m enjoying it a fair bit.

Superman is doing an alright job, certainly got the voice down. Or it could be effects, I dunno.

Someone in work was asking about it and asking if it compared to Game of Thrones. I can see why they thought of that, being a fantasy series from a series of modern books. Doesn’t feel as expensive as that series got.

It doesn't feel like Game of Thrones at all IMO and that's only partly due to the lower production budget. It only has three focal characters instead of thirty and while GoT's background seems entirely build upon politics, The Witcher uses a different kind of lore to establish its world. It's way more deeply rooted in the classic Lord of the Rings fantasy genre and the stories are more about personal growth and finding your own path.

Anyway, I watched the last episode a day ago. I think it's a solid first season. The last episode drags along a bit too much but it's a great starting point for season 2. The chronology can seem a bit confusing at first but it's pretty clear after a while how they structured the narrative. No idea why some people complain about that, I can only suspect they were posting stuff on facebook while watching.

Forgot to mention, but yeah, Cavill is really good as Geralt. I already forgot it was him in Episode 2 or something, he really fits perfectly.

I enjoyed the Witcher having come to it without ever having read the books or played the games.

I thought the acting generally good, I liked Cavill's dryly grumpy angry cynic with a heart portrayal. His foil, the bard's, language is too modern, but I still liked the character and he compensates for the gloominess of Geralt. In fact it's good to hear a range of regional and nationanl accents. Also the cultural differences, armour, clothing, etc. to distinguish between states is nicely done too. It's set itself up for the next series alright with me.

I agree it's a different kind of show to GOT and comparisons are probably not really helpful.

I did find the passing of time, along with characters not ageing somewhat confusing. This wasn't explained / portrayed well at all. If you missed some random comment about decades passing you were struggling. Also some characters who aren't magical didn't seem to age (or perhaps they only existed in a limited time period but I'll be fucked if I know how long they were supposed to have been around for in the scheme of things).

The penultimate episode was a great case in point - it started with me going, so he's the doppler. But then going, no it's a flashback. It's very badly done, so badly that my partner who'd watched all seven episodes refused to watch the last one saying she no longer had any idea what's going on and it's too confusing. The fact I'm having to work it out and try and explain it is not good enough. Also the point about flashbacks in any visual medium is you know it's a flashback because the characters are either younger (or older if it's a flash forward). If the bloody characters just all look the same then the director needs to use a different device to convey this. It's entertainment not a test.

There are zero time jumps in Ciri's storyline though. Every time you see her you know it's just the present unfolding as it goes. 

I'd argue it only starts to completely make sense when you watch all episodes but I don't think that's a bad thing. I mean if you don't watch the last 20 minutes of a movie chances are you're not getting every important information as well. Same here – if you stop with episode seven you're obviously going to miss a couple of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Unbelievable, a short 8-episode series about a serial rapist based on true events.

It feels positively non-TV-ish: no cliffhangers, no forced twist and turns, just a very emotional, tactful, serious tale about a dramatic experience a couple of women had to endure and how the involved police detectives manage to bring it all to an end.

I was particularly impressed by the acting. Toni Collette and Merritt Wever are great but for me it was Kaitlyn Dever who was the most impressive of the cast. She's absolutely fantastic, particularly in her character's darkest moments, and I hope she has a bright future ahead.

It's not an easy topic and some moments can be hard to swallow even though there's nothing explicit in the show as you usually only see the reaction of the people involved instead of the act itself. But if you get into the right state of mind for this I'd absolutely recommend it. For me personally I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The films will arrive on the service in three batches. Feb 1:

• Castle in the Sky (1986)
  • My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
  • Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
  • Only Yesterday (1991)
  • Porco Rosso (1992)
  • Ocean Waves (1993)
  • Tales from Earthsea (2006)

March 1:

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
  • Princess Mononoke (1997)
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • The Cat Returns (2002)
  • Arrietty (2010)
  • The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1:

• Pom Poko (1994)
  • Whisper of the Heart (1995)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
  • Ponyo (2008)
  • From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
  • The Wind Rises (2013)
  • When Marnie Was There (2014)