passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Watched half of Love, Death & Robots tonight. It's an anthology series created by Tim Miller and David Fincher, episodes are between 5 and 20 minutes and could quite easily have just been called Boobs, Gore & Robots. 

There are a couple of fantastic stories in it so far that I would have loved to see as full movies, a couple weird art house acid trips, one in particular that was created by the visual consultant for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse had some of the most incredible animation I've seen. 

Most of the more 'realistic' looking shorts looked like something Square was doing in the late 90's/early 2000's and weren't my favourites. Also there are two stories revolving around cats which makes it an instant 10/10 from me. 

Looking forward to checking out the rest. 

Five episodes in on the new series of The OA. The first series was pretty good, and a bit unusual. The second series has just gone full out weird and I love it. 

There's a review of episode four that states 'You'll laugh, you'll cry then you'll laugh AND cry and then you'll stare at the screen in ten minutes in disbelief.' That's an accurate description of just how weird it gets. And apparently that's just the start of it. I don't think it's for everyone, there will be a few that bounce off episode four, but me and the wife think it's great!

It's funny, I watched the first series and by the end had no idea whether I'd just sat through something brilliant or I'd had the piss took out of me massively via interpretive dance. 

I'm definitely not watching the second series for that reason. ?

14 minutes ago, smallofbooty said:

It's funny, I watched the first series and by the end had no idea whether I'd just sat through something brilliant or I'd had the piss took out of me massively via interpretive dance. 

I'm definitely not watching the second series for that reason. ?

I thought the exact same thing, but it's the reason I'm going to watch the second series...

Unicorn Store

Starring & directed by Brie Larsson

Quirky tale of growning up (from the adult twenty something side, when college hasn't worked out)

Also stars Joan Cusack and Samuel L Jackson, but the real highlight was Mamoudou Athie as Virgil who was fantastic whenever he appeared on screen.

It's not a great film though but pleasant and different enough to watch.

I woke up far too early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I watched the doc on For Honor, called Playing Hard.

It's good, but it goes a bit "woe is me, first world problems" as developers in a multi-country, hundreds if not thousands team members project attempt to wrestle with the project not being  "theirs".

Made me want to try For Honor, though, so I guess it did its job.

I watched some of the Love, Death and Robots shorts. Suits, Blindspot and Zima Blue were all great. Make a Stardew Valley/Starcraft mash-up game like Suits Blizzard, you cowards.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

Ah shit, that's in my to do list. Worth starting it knowing this news?

Yes. One of the best shows on Netflix. Funny and sweet with lots of twists and turns. It ends on a cliffhanger for sure but there are so many highs throughout the 30 episodes that it's worth the inevitable heartbreak. 

I've been watching Crazy Ex-girlfriend and it's pretty good. I had no idea what it was and someome told me it was a musical so I was like fuck yes, son. Each episode usually has a couple of little musical vignettes that feel kind of like comedic YouTube videos. Probably because that is what the creator of the show was working on before this. It's funny, sweet and a surprisingly nuanced take on obsession and mental illness. Plus catchy show tunes.