passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

I know there's seperate TV and film threads but I'm after recommendations of stuff that's specifically available on Netflix. Due to the annoying lack of a playlist or watch list feature, I often come across stuff in there that I think, "oh I'd like to see that", but then forget all about it.

There's a good 5 part documentary called The Pyramid Code on there which debunks everything you were taught in school about what the pyramids were built for, as tombs.

DOCUMENTARIES

American Movie
Bobby Fischer Against The World
Brother's Keeper
Collapse
Dreams Of A Life

Exit Through The Gift Shop

The King of Kong

Music From The Inside Out
Punk's Not Dead
Scratch
Upside Down : The Creation Records Story

The U.S. vs. John Lennon

TV SERIES

Archer
Arrested Development
Breaking Bad
Chappelle's Show
House of Cards (UK)
House of Cards (US)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Justified

Quantum Leap
Saxondale

FILMS

Annie Hall

The Bicycle Thief

Blue Velvet

Buffalo '66

Clerks

The Conversation

Do The Right Thing

Fargo

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Ghost in the Shell

The Godfather

Groundhog Day

Husbands and Wives

Jackie Brown

Mean Streets

Midnight Cowboy

Oldboy

Serpico

Slacker

Superbad

Synecdoche, New York

There Will Be Blood

Waking Life

Wall-E

I totally second 15 Stories High.

But after you've seen that I think Saxondale is worth a go. Steve Coogan's other creation. It's particularly funny to me, persoanlly, as I used to work with someone exactly like him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bWv6-L6V5gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They have the entire 3 series of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I can heartily recommend. Just recently finished watching it and I'm sad it's over. It's one of the best animated series available; exciting, genuinely funny, great characters, and the story and action are fantastic. The first series is brilliant, the second just gets better and the third is borderline masterpiece, especially the last few episodes. It's definitely something I'll be re-watching again and again.

They don't have it on Netflix yet, but I'm hoping the sequel series The Legend of Korra will be on there soon as well. While not as good as Avatar, it's still excellent to see what happened to the characters and world decades after the events of the original series.

Can also recommend Breaking Bad, they have the first three seasons on the service. Nailed the first season pretty much non-stop over the weekend, great show. Also, It's Always Sunny In Phillidelphia is pretty chucklesome.

Some good suggestions there, I want to set aside some time and watch the one about the chess master and the guy who lost his memory and made his own reality.

I started watching "If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front" last night with the missus. Only got part way through before bed time but it's a pretty good watch.

Also started watching a George Carlin stand-up show which is pretty good.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like netflix for documentaries, I'd probably never get to see them otherwise.

Another one I saw recently is 'American Movie'. It's about a slightly inept independent amateur film-maker and a film he's been trying to make for years with his friends and family. It's interesting, and charming and pretty funny.

• 1 month later...

Series 5 is up but only the first half so far I think.

Also, Arrested Development, House of Cards is a must.

Loads of good documentaries and bios, I watched a good one last night called Mr Untouchable about a gangster from the '70's who controlled the heroin trade in New York.