passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cyberpunk 2077

radiofloyd

cyberpunk2077.jpg

The Witcher developer CD Projekt has lifted the lid on its new AAA RPG - it's a videogame version of Mike Pondsmith's classic '80s pen and paper RPG series Cyberpunk.

Details are slim, but the Polish developer promises "a mature RPG for a mature audience". It'll have a non-linear story, "advanced RPG mechanics", different character classes and a "gigantic arsenal".

Pondsmith will be collaborating with CD Projekt on the title.

"For over two decades, I've been proud to say that Cyberpunk's been the gold standard of what it means to be a true cyberpunk game. And it's been a huge success for me and our many fans, with over 5 million players worldwide," commented the US author and game creator.

"But over all that time we haven't found the right team to bring our cyberpunk world to full digital life - until now. CD Projekt Red is the team we've been hoping for. Their incredible work on The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shows that they share the same dedication and love of great games that we do at Talsorian.

"I'm especially stoked that they want our participation in making this game a fantastic project that will live up to everything Cyberpunk fans (old and new) have been waiting for. Trust me - this game is going to rock."

There's no word on what platforms it will land on or when it might launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-30-cd-projekt-announces-cyberpunk

Not much info but the more CDP the better. smile.gif

I played the pen and paper RPG in the late 80's, and used to have a good time with it. Like most things with the moniker 'Cyberpunk', it's loosely based on literature from the likes of Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The book Bladerunner was based on) William Gibson (Neuromancer, the film Johnny Mnemonic was based on a story from this), and many others. Mike Pondsmith, who invented the pen & paper game, used William Gibson's work a lot. It was thought of as a Sci-Fi D&D at the time.

As you can imagine, I'm seriously stoked about this news, and I'm really looking forward to what CD Projekt can do. If their Witcher games are anything to go by, they already have an impressive track record for turning novels and literature into seriously good RPG's.

And I'm so gonna screen capture my Xbox notification (or Pc) that says "Cyberpunk is playing Cyberpunk" :lol:

• 2 months later...
As promised last week, today we’ve prepared some information about our upcoming Cyberpunk title. It’s great that you have so many questions about the game and we hope that we can satisfy at least some of your hunger for knowledge about the title that’s currently being in the works. With that being said, let’s get to the main dish.

Below you can find the original questions followed by answers from CD Projekt RED Community Manager, Marcin Momot.

Richie79: What elements are you using as inspiration (references) for making Cyberpunk?

Marcin Momot: There are quite a few actually. Aside from the obvious ones like the works of William Gibson or the Blade Runner movie, we also take from the first Ghost in the shell, both anime and manga. We’re also looking up to System Shock because of its interesting approach to gameplay. The first part of Deus Ex is also a very important source of inspiration to us.

Guipit: Will choosing your class affect the story? If so, how much?

MM: It’s always been very important to us to deliver mature and ambitious entertainment. It’s not going to be any different this time around. We want to keep the role system from the pen & paper version of Cyberpunk. As opposed to the regular fantasy set-up with mages, warriors and archers, we’re going for something different. In Cyberpunk, each character role will offer a set of special skills that will impact your stats in many different ways. That’s where the challenge kicks in, we want to create a game where character customization will be strongly tied with the plot. Now going from that, we believe that we can make a game where, with many different role choices, you will get a very strong, engaging story, just like it was with The Witcher.

Mihura: Will there be full customization of our character like a D&D game, things like gender, ethnicity, moral stand point, sexuality...etc or we will be restrict to something like Geralt from TW2?

MM: We definitely want to give players way more freedom with customization of the main protagonist then they had with Geralt in The Witcher series. We are planning on letting them change their statistics, equipment, implants and much more.

Saoe: When can we expect to see more info, screenshots or first videos from the game?

MM: I keep bothering guys from the art team to release some new content soon but they don’t want to listen to me for some reason. I won’t give up though, so make sure to follow our website and social media because when I finally convince them, you will be the first ones to know.

Geralt The Riv: Will the setting be a totally new designed by CDPR(You know like name of the planet, country, state, city etc) or just a mimic of a current location?(New York, L.A. Miaimi etc.....)

MM: Cyberpunk’s story takes place all over the world, but we’re going to focus on it’s most characteristic venue - Night City. One thing is certain, we want to make a game with an open, living world that stays true to the source material.

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/270

• 2 months later...

Called Cyberpunk 2077:

The Cyberpunk game will be called Cyberpunk 2077, and the RPG is a sandbox title which takes place in Night City.

“The Team has to love the material. The Team has to want to be faithful to the material. The Team has to have the skills to execute the material and see that vision through to the end. They have to be on fire with the desire to make an extraordinary game, and that leads, at last, to why we hooked up with CD Projekt RED, said Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith.

CDP and Pondsmith said Cyberpunk 2077 “will be true to the essence of the cyberpunk genre,” with players thrown into the dark future of the year 2077 where advanced technologies have become both “the salvation and the curse of humanity.”

A multi-thread, nonlinear story designed for mature players will take place in Night City and its surroundings, where players will visit some of the places present in Cyberpunk 2020.

One area will include a combat zone completely taken over by gangs, where the player can visit the Afterlife joint and the Forlorn Hope.

The sandbox nature of the game and mechanics inspired by Cyberpunk 2020′s pen-and-paper system has been “fine tuned to meet the requirements of a modern RPG,” with plenty of guns, rifles, implants, gadgets and other equipment available to the player. They will need it when venturing around Night City, ya know.

A release date was not provided during the livestream.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/18/the-witcher-2-gets-mac-version-on-steam-and-gog-today/

• 2 months later...

Trailer

I so want this.

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There’s going to be a lot of carnage, so the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they’re not always able to get the job done. They call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the “Psycho Squad.” And these guys are exceptional, these guys are crack troops. The fact that they’re proud of that name tells you a bit about their mindset. They wear a badge with their official emblem on their right sleeve, but their left is reserved for their unofficial Psycho Squad emblem. It’s primitively made and the image itself is on the crude side of things. It’s not unlike a badge."
The company isn't even revealing what platforms the game will be appearing on. That kind of secrecy all but confirms that we're looking at a next-gen game, which will likely be appearing on PC and as-of-yet-unannounced consoles.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/cyberpunk_2077/b/pc/archive/2013/01/10/cd-projekt-red-releases-first-trailer.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cyberpunk 2077 will be present at E3 2018 (Rumour)

The largest Polish videogame website GRYOnline.pl posted an article today about a likely Cyberpunk 2077 presence at this year's E3. They cited two different sources that separately confirmed not only a trailer, but also a playable behind the closed doors demo that will be presented to journalists. CDPR had done something like this before with The Witcher 3 at E3 2013, where the game was played by a dev in front of an audience.

Trailer is gonna be shown before the expo at one of the press conferences. They didn't specify which one.

E3 2018 will take place from June 12th to 14th, with some press conferences beginning days earlier as usual.

• 3 months later...

CDPR will present a ‘role playing game’ at E3 according to schedule

27A67BDA-A351-4D50-87BB-F1F1BF86DC21.jpeg

Schedule source

Although the schedule does not reveal the title of this game, we can safely assume that this RPG is no other than Cyberpunk 2077. After all, in January we informed you about some rumours suggesting we’d be getting a trailer during this big event.

• 1 month later...

I really hope this is good but I'm not sure about the tone, it looks a little much for the amount of time you're going to be spending there. It did make me wish they had the Ghost in the Shell licence for this though

hopefully we'll see some gameplay at one of the other conferences