Sign in to follow this  
Nag

Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen.

You're never safe playing this game. Just stood there letting my pawns collect loot and then a fucking Gryphon lands on me out of nowhere, roughs me up for about a minute and then fucks off just as quickly as it came in. Wild.

Just came to the realisation that the pawns are learning too. Dace, who has been in my party for a while now said something along the lines of "Oh there's a chest around here" and then did a whole hotter colder thing as I got closer to it. It floored me a bit, it was like when I was playing Borderlands with Jay and he knew where all the shit was, except this was a AI that had learned through playing with people, I guess.

The more I play the more I think that this shouldn't just be a cult hit, it should be a full blown one.

Yeah, they'll learn the best attacks for things too... get a mage pawn who's fought that Drake you encountered a few times and if he has ice magic he won't fuck about using other stuff, that'll expose the heart and its happy days.

Not sure what class you're rolling but I really think having access to a bow really allows you to roll with any kind of threat. 

Using the Fighter class.Tempted to rotate around though to see what the rest is like. I did have a gander at the vocations and it looks like you have classes between classes. The issue is I'm using my pawn to heal the party right now. I'm using a pawn that has been brought in from a friends game that's high level but it's doing work and generally taking a load off so I'm reluctant to see it go for something else.

If I did switch and held onto the high level Mage I'd have to go to either Strider or Mage. This means that the open slot I have would have to be a fighter for aggro control. If I did go Mage I'd have to make sure the party was healed up all the time and I don't know how hard that is. Alternatively I make my own pawn a Fighter and have to scour the pawn club for a healer each time I level up.

I don't know, it feels a bit of a quandary because the 4 man party system is mean to be one of each and then whatever the player fancies being themselves. I'm pinned in by the high level full out offensive Mage and my own support Mage that the last two spots feel like they have to be Fighters to make up for the squishiness.

I feel like almost all the pawns you see are either Mages or Fighters. I have tried Striders but they tend to be really shit. They spend more time on the deck than they do dealing damage.

There's 9 vocations for the player and 6 for pawns, you'll never have clean sweep and to be honest you'll never really need to.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with on this, I ran with a Mage and Sourcerer for half a game at one point... Yeah, they were glass cannons but some of the fights were spectacular. The Assassin let's you wield a sword and bow, it also has perks which makes it a viable tactic to go it alone.

I loved the freedom to chop and change at will, it was a breath of fresh air at the time 

A nice touch I've not mentioned is that the armour changes when you're in safe areas. I'm wearing a full face helmet right now but when I go into civvy areas he pops the visor up so people can see his face.

The weakest part is the story. I have not got a clue what's going on at all. The story feels like shit side quests. It's rivals have it beat hands down there.

I did a story bit earlier on where you have to go into the catacombs and it appears that the whole of the map has multiple levels to it. You know when you're playing Skyrim and you go into a random cave and when you get to the end of it suddenly you're in Blackreach? It's sort of like that You go into an underground bit and then come out of it at the other side of the map. It feels specifically designed to have these underground ratruns if you know where they are and how you unlock them, since a lot of them are barred off if you approach them from the wrong side. 

I've played through the game easily four times now and still don't get the story or endings completely... It's gibberish.

There's zero cohesion. I feel like they had to tick boxes for tropes with the characters. The blonde aloof one. The comedic relief. The dead serious one. The black dude. The hooded man that's almost certainly not a rip of of Star War's Emperor. It's crap.

The gameplay is joyous though.

Made a fair bit of headway tonight.

Evicted the family and ended up paying for lodgings. That was an expensive quest.

Went back to the bandit camp and told them them I dealt with the issue they were having in the hope they'd give me the tome over I needed. They didn't so I killed the dude and then found out I don't think I needed to but I couldn't revert a save. A bit of platforming later I had the tome. Oh yeah, before this a Gryphon jumped me. Made the fucker pay for interrupting me though, gave him the fucking of his life.

Then I went into a water temple and did some light puzzling and some combat against a mix of shit that varied from dead easy to OMFG it's riding me and I can't get it off.

This all followed the fact that someone has been using my pawn and now she knows more about the game than I do. We're off to the water temple? Cool, lead the way person I created. It was like taking the dog to the park, practically dragged me there.

Did the bits of story the guy that works for the king wanted and then went in and had an audience. It all went David Lynch, fucking weirdness that makes no sense and people with Dwarfism. Irish Dwarfish as well, the worst kind. I don't understand anything that happened in that cutscene or any of the following parts.

Anyway, the important stuff is still good. Fought some monsters I've fought before because quests told me to go do so. One of them looks like an arena style thing where you fight gradually harder and harder mobs. Also fought another big boy outside the witches hut. It's a good fight, one I'd wager feels nicer to do if you have projectiles, but whatever. Climb up him and jizz your metally load into his weak spots for massive damage..

Also started gearing up quite quickly now. I have a feeling that will accelerate even more once I find this idol the weapon smith is after.

Swapped out the short round with the sword that was bigger than her for a woman that sounds like a man that can do stabbings and ranged. It's the first time I've seen a pawn actively climb on a beast tonight as well. The Mage I am using also did it on a Griffin as it was trying to fly away. I emphasise trying, because it exploded in a fireball as soon as it took off to make an escape.

Also the Witch had a Pinocchio moment and is a real boy now. Oh Dragon's Dogma story. You so silly.

That Golden Idol is a reward for a side quest, a very easy to miss side quest...

Has Madeline got a shop in your game? She wants an idol too.

I have one Idol I got it from meeting the people near the big picture in the grass. I tried to be spoiler free there since there's (admirably poor) story there that's mainline stuff. Or at least I think it's mainline stuff, it's so bloody disjointed it could have been a side quest.

The merchant actually lit me up an idol quest, I think that's the next thing on the agenda.

Yeah, I know where you mean... There's actually Bronze, Silver and Gold that can be gotten, Gold is obviously the best.

Meeting those folks can definitely be considered the main questline but yeah, things aren't particularly clear in the respect.