passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen.

wholehole

I had this fight just now against this eyeball boyo.

DuFDSfMX4AILWqz.jpg:large

Got him to about 30% of his health but got too close to an AOE and ate it.

It's cool tho, it's got this one attack where it petrifies you but if you turn your back to it it doesn't affect you. Just remember doing that in FFXIV a few times and wondered if it would work here. Sure enough.

You can't grab the eye and stab it tho ☹️

It's a cool encounter, feels like a proper boss fight from an MMO or JRPG. Which is interesting cause as I think of it the main game is devoid of proper boss fights other than the dragon. The bosses in DS actually suck.

It takes a really long time to fight tho even with the dragons rancor bow. Makes me feel like I really should just try the magic classes already but it will take so long to get my guy adept at them.

I feel like the Dark Arisen expac is not for me. I beat that giant eyeball and it was a great fight, made ample use of the gouge ability of the assassin

But the dungeon itself is kind of tedious and the enemy placement can be bad. There was this one guy who was a big armoured dude straight out of Dark Souls 2 who they placed in a narrow stairway. I had to bait him with shield summon and have my sorceror kill it with Gicel ice spells cause there was no clean way to engage with it with a melee class when it was so stubborn about staying in its tiny stairway.

It lacks the openess of the fights you have in Gransys and it seems to ask a lot of you in getting gear ready. Cause what I'm reading about the way they calculate damage in DD it's a simple subtract of defense and attack, which explains why my sorcerer is such a beast but running in with knives is not effect at all.

I'll put it on ice maybe and consider a hard mode NG+ but I'm not really enjoying running this dungeon over and over again.

I think perhaps you might be supposed to do this also cause of this whole "dragonforged" weapons thing.

It's definitely more close quarters than not, things do open out a little the further you get... I think the thing that got to me after a while at that place was the dark, it gets a little boring.

Seems to me your pawns are just a liability on the harder bosses fights. I'm fighting this bishop with a dragon and they keep standing in its AOEs and getting killed. Reviving them is too much hassle considering how little they help.

My assassin just got an ability which makes it stronger in a solo party so I might just stock up on curatives and do that. But there's no quick way in and out of this place to do that and assign that ability.

I really hate the DLC, it's kind of ruining the game for me

The base game is a fun but janky action RPG with great mechanics and discovering how to take down enemies is a lot of fun. But the DLC is pure RPG numbers crunching. You fight everything in corridors. There's no scope for open ended action when you're fenced in like this. It's like everything is Sen's Fortress. If your numbers aren't big enough then you got to go home. The damage scaling is terrible, when DD is an RPG it just isn't good sadly

It's frustrating cause these boss fights are good. I'm at the last one I think (actually the internet says he has a second form, but still). I'm trying to find some better gear else I might try to solo it again like I did the bishop cause the damage scaling is so dumb that the solo augment for assassin might be necessary to avoid grinding for ages.

This game is breaking my heart. This fight against this demon guy at the end of the DLC is really great but I don't have the numbers to pull me through, even with the assassin's autonomy ability. I need to get a better sword than +2 Dragons Dogma. I need to run around the island and find a cursed weapon that takes me over the line. But I hate that I have to do that. I've got this guy down. Avoiding all his AOEs and parrying all his physicals (exct the grab) but the numbers just aren't high enough

I also like Sen's Fortress. But Souls is less a game about combat and more dealing with obstacles. When you put the player in a tight spaces in DD a lot of its systems fall apart and the pawns become a useless liability cause they don't know how to deal with close quarters.

• 3 weeks later...