passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen.

wholehole

Booted this up for the first time in ages. Did the Hillfigure Knoll quest so now I'm ready for my audience with the duke. I'd forgetten how tedious this game can be if you are just running around in the open so I'll try to follow the main questline for a while. All of my quests are just kill x amount of enemies anyway or else find the viewpoint markers.

I too have been poking at this again.

I now have "The Final Battle" quest open to me. I've jsut hit level 50, and I'm not sure If I go for the final quest, or if I level up some more.

I'm now playing as an assasin, and I must say, I was enjoying being a magick archer a lot more. I'm just not really finding that daggers and bow are doing much damage with the assasin, feels like I'm not really doing much.

I've also found it better to set up my pawn to use all the lesser damage versions of the spells they have, and they spam out spells a lot more. It's a shame that I can't really do much to command my pawn to spam out a few more spells.

time to go and face the final battle I guess...

Wrapping up side quests, and stumbling into more!

I went to witchwood to get some king bay leaves for a sidequest (I'm also looking for some ancient ore, so spent over an hour scuffing around all the walls to try and find somewhere to mine some) and found some guy who have given me a stone slab with writing on it, I'm currently playing as as assasin and i've used a skill which increases my strength if I'm on my own.

Problem is, the stone slab weighs loads, and so now i'm over encumbered, so all the shit i've been carefully collecting I'm going to have to dump.

I'm also thinking of taking another swing at the bitterblack isle stuff now i'm a bit more levelled up.

Had some delving through bitterblack last night.

I switched up to using the shield with the assassin, and most of the enemies you encounter are damage sponges, but nothing as difficult as I found it first time.

I'm finding I spend a bit more time blocking and waiting for a window to open and counter, it's a bit more slow paced (although I'm still very much appreciating the speed of attacks the assassin can deal with daggers.)

I have found that I'm always running short of rift crystals, which is kind of a bind, because I was looking to upgrade some of my dragonforged gear and that shit's expensive!

I've come across a giant armoured cyclopse boss thing, it's heal bar is massive and didn't budge much after about 5 minutes of relentless hammering on the x button, so I left that.

I have found that my Pawns are getting knocked down an awful lot more, I think I need to switch my pawns up though as I don't remember the last time I changed them, I guess this is why I'm pulling in so much XP recently.

I'm still not sure about the assassin, I enjoyed using the magick archer more, but I think that's because the "lock-on" targeting made things a little bit too easy. I have found a skill with the assassin though that makes my character move faster, and this lets me shoot quicker, so I can fire off arrows at an insane speed, when I get the 10x arrow shot it seems a little unfair!

• 1 month later...

Got this with October's value for money ps plus, it was under my gaming radar but if you love RPGs, then Dragons Dogma is no exception, fantastic world, free roaming, enemies around every corner, the dark arisen addition includes the original game and practically every single add on. What's not to like? fantastic storyline, fantastic graphics, the pawn system is also simply amazing, if you have friends that have Dragons Dogma, use each others main pawns to gain each other some money and experience! Im pretty much on level 22 and its still hard as Phil Mitchells knuckles. Overall, the game is utterly brilliant, not a walk in the park, but it's not as hard as demon souls either :D If you want a realistic game where the story line is great, the character customization is unique and is a fantastic free-roamer... Well fruit and nut!

• 1 month later...

Decided to press on with the main quest,

Wow,

Things get pretty mental towards the tail end of the game.

Well, I beat the dragon, and found out a whole bunch of crazy stuff is going on, it seems that there are a few people who are arisen.

Also, all my stuff got dragonforged, which is great, but then you get taken to Grand soren, where all the weapons and armour make mine look like fisher-price toys, Problem for me is that each item costs 300k+ I can maybe afford one thing...

I'm now in the everfall and getting my ass kicked a lot!

It's very easy to get overwhelmed if you're not careful in there. My main problem though, is that before I jumped into the everfall, I dropped off *EVERYTHING* I was carrying. I'm an assasin class, so I prefer to stay as light as possible. As such, i have no curatives.

All the big guys in the everfall inflict negative statuses, the pawns eat up curatives as soon as they pick them up, so I've been mostly going into these battles being hugely dependant on my pawn to heal me and cure any status issues I get.

I managed to defeat an evil eye after working out what I had to do.

but

now I'm stuck fighting the Ur-Dragon. holy crap that thing is tough! I was advised that the offline Ur-Dragon easier to beat than the online version, because it has significantly less health, but man! that thing is a damage sponge and I'm getting pummelled!

even in easy mode.

• 4 years later...

Five years late to the party.

This is alright isn't it? I'm getting my shit pushed back in left right and centre, but I think I'm getting the gist of what is going on. The pawns must have a suicide pact though, they just fuck off into the fray and have no self preservation at all. It's like watching my grandma cross the road, they just fire off and hope for the best and no amount of  "Get the fuck back here" spamming on the d-pad brings them back.

I adored this game, it's a different beast to Bloodborne so don't expect that... you can expect a weird as fuck story though and a whole lot of great fighting.

If you were on PS4 you'd be able to use my pawn.

• 2 weeks later...

So I must be missing something here, since this game is kicking me in the bollocks over and over.

I first noticed this when I was sent to the witches house, the bandits in that area killed me repeatedly. Same happened today as I was sent out west from what I assume is the main area of the game. So much so that I decided to do Bloodborne and just run past the enemies that I couldn't be arsed dealing with. This worked right up until I got quite far into the jaunt when a fucking ogre or something ambushed me along with god knows how many bandits and wolves. At least I think it was an ogre, it was pitch black and the only light sources that happened is when a pawn used a fire attack. Amazingly I managed to win this fight, I'm not sure how, but as daylight broke I carried further on and then got killed by what I think the game called a Chimera. You fight one at the start of the game.

By this time I levelled up a bit and on the way back managed to kill the bandits with a bit of struggle, but it was doable.

This made me think back tot eh start of the game where an NPC took me to an island, I assumed it was DLC so backed out to go back mainlining the story. I have n o idea how to get back to this island, but I assume it had some low level questing in it now.

It's also made me think about my pawns. Do I have it set up correctly? What's a good set up? Why can I not heal my pawns? Am I missing something here, I see they have restoration items but they won't accept them which feels like I'm doing something wrong.

I've got to the part of the main area where you can go down the spiral building, I forget what it's called but it's situated in an area that looks like it gets rebuilt over time with shops for pawns. I went down a few spirals, fought a giant and he jumped off the ledge to his death with me on him. Cunt. Got him the second time because he decided to die by the sword instead of dying by gravity. Ended up moving slow as fuck so went back to town to sell lots and lots of junk. Still overweight and I have no idea what to get rid of.

Advice please, @Nag? What am I doing wrong here?

That DLC island makes bloodborne look like a Barbie colouring game.

Give that a swerve.

Stray off paths and you'll get attacked.

It's good to have a pawn who backs your skills up.

I played a nimbly bimbly climbing assassin type. My pawn hurled fireballs (and complained about running in streams)

Yeah. I had a really good rogue that I had but it out levelled so quickly.

Here's a question. How do I make my pawn heal more than anything else? How do I go, "look, stand over there, heal us 3 and don't get hit"? That would be amazing if you could do that. Sure, do attacks when nobody needs healing, but healing should be a priority.

I'm off back on this now. If you're lucky I'll post later on more escapades. Give you a break from that bland cowboy simulator.