passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony PlayStation Vita

Hendo

Ugggh, I give up icon_facepalm.gif

So far today i've dropped and broken stuff, spilt hot coffee all over my desk, spilt hot chocolate all over myself, failed to read an article properly, failed to read a thread properly, told people something was impossible when it clearly wasn't and they told me so... and there's still time to spare before I go to bed.

emoticon-00173-middlefinger.gif to this day.

• 3 weeks later...
A pamphlet explaining how PlayStation Vita owners can use their PSP UMD collection has been circulated at a Sony sales briefing in Japan.

Andriasang heard the news from a shop representative present at the meeting, but specific details weren't shared. However, subsequent comments made by Sony development chief Yoshio Matsumoto to Dengeki PlayStation suggested that owners of UMDs will be able to download the same game on Vita at "a special price".

Many PSP games are already available to download from the PlayStation Network, of course - it's how the ill-fated PSPgo exists.

What's more, Sony has confirmed that PSP games will work on Vita. If you download a PSP title for PlayStation Vita from PSN, you can play the multiplayer with a friend using a PSP.

How much PlayStation Vita games will cost in Europe and the US hasn't been confirmed. In Japan, Uncharted: Golden Abyss will cost 5980 Yen (£49.85) in shops and 4900 Yen (£40.85) to download. Ouch.

And how will you be able to prove you still own it? And how special will that price be? And 50 quid for a game!

Alarming, ninty drop the ball and leave it wide open for Sony to swoop in and do a good thing, which they could really do with in the handheld Market and even generally, an their move is to price games at FIFTY quid?!

Dumbfounded

• 5 weeks later...

Here's the UMD solution. Better than nothing, but I can see some publishers fleecing people

The PS Vita does not use UMDs. Instead, it uses cartridges and digital downloads. The UMD is going extinct, putting current PSP owners in a bind should they want to play their PSP titles on the Vita.

Today, Sony announced its solution: UMD Passport.

Starting Dec. 6, the UMD Passport service will start in Japan. Here's how it works: Download a free app called "UMD Registration Application". After that, enter your UMD game disc into your PSP, and according to the on-screen prompts, register your UMD via your PSN Account. The UMD will then be available for purchase.

Once the PS Vita is released in Japan on Dec. 17, you can then download the title on your new Sony handheld. According to Sony, the games will be available at an "agreeable price".

Currently, 40 game companies are offering 200 UMD titles as part of Sony's UMD Passport program. The digital versions of the games are priced anywhere between ¥100 (US$1.29) to ¥2,400 ($31).

Here is a selection of titles to give you an idea of how much the downloads cost on UMD Passort: Patapon 3 (¥1,000 or $13), Gran Turismo (¥1,000 or $13), Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (¥1,000 or $13), Dynasty Warriors: PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Persona 3 Portable: PSP the Best (¥1,500 or $19), and Guilty Gear: Judgment (¥500 or $6.40).

This is not a full list of titles, and other companies, such as Konami and Capcom, are participating. Expect pricing and titles at a later date. Obviously, Sony did not disclose U.S. pricing, but one could assume that games priced at, for example, ¥500 would be priced at $5 in the U.S.