passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony PlayStation Vita

Hendo

• 3 months later...

Allegedly the real name for this is now Vita.

ss_preview_psvita_pic1.jpg.jpg

The rumors started when Games Pundit cited an anonymous source telling them Sony would announce NGP's final name at E3 next week: Vita. Most shrugged their shoulders, but some legitimate-looking presentation images leaked on another blog, Mega Rock. That blog's since taken itself down. Too late, though.

There's more circumstantial evidence. Try pointing your browser towards vita.scedev.net, which leads you to Sony's developer portal--ngp.scedev.net works, too. psp2.scedev.net leads to a browser error, however, which means the subdomains were made legitimate by Sony.

Someone also registered playstationvita.com and psvita.com on April 19, long before rumors.

I've talked to several developer sources, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, as E3 is so close. But each confirmed Vita was definitely the codename for the project when Sony was first showing the hardware to developers. One developer said his company has stopped referring to the machine as Vita, preferring NGP or PSP2, but was unclear if Vita had been dropped.

When Sony revealed its next portable in January, it was not supposed to have "NGP" attached, I'm told. Sony was unable to find internal consensus on a final name, so the event grudgingly went ahead with something temporary. At the time, however, it was being referred to internally as Vita.

None of my sources were able to say with complete certainty whether Vita has stuck and that's the name that'll appear at Sony's press conference next week. But don't be surprised if it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, Hot Shots Golf is planned as a launch day title. I just went a little giddy. I can't get one of these things, I really can't. :facepalm:

When I first laid eyes on the PS Vita in January, I was floored by UNCHARTED (now officially dubbed UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss), eager to try Super Stardust Delta with dual analog sticks, and mesmerized by the use of AR in Reality Fighters. But I knew that the game I’d be coming back to on flight after flight, year after year, would be Hot Shots Golf.

I’ve easily sunk hundreds of hours into the Hot Shots Golf series dating back to the PS2 days, with the majority of that time on the PSP’s Open Tee line. Based on what I’ve played of Hot Shots Golf, the hours will keep piling up on PS Vita.

The first thing I noticed was how the game’s cheerfully colorful visuals benefit from the PS Vita’s stunning OLED display. Don’t compare it to the PSP’s Open Tee series; Hot Shots Golf’s visuals on the PS Vita are even more polished than those of PS3’s Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds. Gorgeous character lighting, dazzling water effects, fluttering birds, swirling leaves — this is as pretty a day on the links are you’re likely to see.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/10/vita-preview-hot-shots-golf-working-title/

36gbp.jpg

EDIT: direct feed gameplay - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-everybodys-golf/715986

• 1 month later...
Sony executive Kaz Hirai has confirmed that the PlayStation Vita will launch in Europe and the US early next year.

It launches in Japan by the end of the year, according to MSN Money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-vita-out-in-europe-and-us-early-next-year

And Sony just destroyed any hope of this thing being a success.

Sony executive Kaz Hirai has confirmed that the PlayStation Vita will launch in Europe and the US early next year.

It launches in Japan by the end of the year, according to MSN Money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-vita-out-in-europe-and-us-early-next-year

And Sony just destroyed any hope of this thing being a success.

why? because it misses Christmas?

Yes. Nintendo are dropping the price of the 3DS, coupled with two killer titles for Christmas. Sony had a real chance of competing if they brought it out here this year, but I feel the longer they leave it, the less people will care.

I still want one, though.

• 1 month later...

It's not a deal breaker for me but good to know that it's been confirmed as region free :)

We kind of thought that the Vita would be region-free, and at E3 we heard some positive news, but now we know for sure.

According to 1UP, Sony Computer Entertainment's president of Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida confirmed it. In response to a question sent to him on Twitter about Vita being region free, he said, "Yes, it is."

Guess what I'm doing in December?

I said I wouldn't be buying boxed games for the Vita, but now it looks like I am. That's cool. If the PlayStation Network stays the way it is, you'll need a Japanese credit card or point cards to pull down PSN titles. Still, it's great to hear that importing is officially a go. If Japanese language and terrible exchange rates aren't a hurdle for you, get your order in now!

I wouldn't buy a Japanese one but it would be cool to not be limited by which games you can play on it.

Vita will be region free.

We kind of thought that the Vita would be region-free, and at E3 we heard some positive news, but now we know for sure.

According to 1UP, Sony Computer Entertainment's president of Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida confirmed it. In response to a question sent to him on Twitter about Vita being region free, he said, "Yes, it is."

I said I wouldn't be buying boxed games for the Vita, but now it looks like I am. That's cool. If the PlayStation Network stays the way it is, you'll need a Japanese credit card or point cards to pull down PSN titles. Still, it's great to hear that importing is officially a go. If Japanese language and terrible exchange rates aren't a hurdle for you, get your order in now!

A little bit of good news.

Playstation Vita is going to be region free, massive news!