passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony PlayStation Vita

Hendo

Surprised no-one has posted this:

After claiming that PSP2 is in the works and will drop the UMD disc drive, Acclaim's Dave Perry has moved to back up his comments.

"I hear Sony FINALLY has the PSP 2. And thank goodness, they've removed the stupid battery-sucking UMD disc drive. I'm excited!" he said yesterday in a Twitter post.

While Sony wouldn't comment on Perry's claims, the Shiny Entertainment founder later elaborated on his comments.

"I've been (for a long time now) calling on Sony to move with the times," he told GameDaily. "I love the PSP, I just wish they'd learn from the mistakes and move forward. I'm really tired of new versions being baby steps, or more color changes. I can't reveal my sources, but you can be certain there's no UMD, which means fully digital online device, and you know I know people."

Perry also told Kotaku: "I spoke to a developer who is working on it right now. I know this developer is already working on it, so that means they have a prototype. That would sound like a fall release to me."

Perry speculated that as the PSP was repositioned as a "fully digital online device", Sony would keep retailers interested in backing the handheld by initially selling games for the system on memory sticks.

For backwards compatibility purposes, current PSP titles would be made available via the PlayStation Store, he also suggested.

Sounds like PSP2 really is in the works then.

Yay or nay?

I say yay. Being able to download games straight to the machine would certainly keep me interested in trying out more games for the device, especially if priced right.

Announcement at E3 maybe?

This will be fantastic and do really well for sony SO LONG AS THEY GET THE PRICING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With downloads people expect to pay less.

They also need to allow you to re-download the data if you lose or erase it.

I can see the way being to download the games from your PS3 though and then transfer them..... this is already happening.

Seriously though..... if the prices are stupid then all they will do is encourage more people to pirate them.

This would certainly encourage me to get back involved with Sony if they took this kind of exciting move, the sooner it happens the better, just get something out and then update the firmware over and over. The thing that Apple have going with the iPhone and iTouch in terms of easily accesible gaming is gold, and thats the way forward for getting hold of games, especially for handhelds, this could potentially be absolutely massive for the PSP2.

To go off on a flight of fantasy slightly, if you can get downloadable games up and working and coincide this with one of the possibilities talked about for future internet usage and how it might be transmitted on the unused radio frequencies (or something, basically internets everywhere) then that would be amaaaaazing.

Yeah the one thing the PSP really lacks for me right now is decent multiplayer gaming.

Currently they aren't enough people on.... and you can only really play at home on wifi....and if you are at home then really you are going to be playing on your main system.

If they could offer like you say anywhere gaming..... that would be a goldmine.

I think they may have to offer an alternative to downloads if they want it to be successful as some are sort of understandably still wary of paying for downloadable software. If the Memory Sticks weren't so expensive still, buying one of those preloaded with the game could work.

YEah good point.

Also i am sure alot of PSP game purchases are actually by parents for their kids... again a physical format is needed here for this.

Even though we and younger gererations are more comfortable with DLC i can imagine older parents not having a clue.

The download market currently only makes up 1% of all game sales (thats FACT read it on kotaku the other day) so i can't honestly see Sony dedicating millions of pounds/dollars/ yen on a machine that would a) make all of the UMD disc's obsolete and b ) depends completely on the download market which is currently small.

Well in the above article, it does say:

Perry speculated that as the PSP was repositioned as a "fully digital online device", Sony would keep retailers interested in backing the handheld by initially selling games for the system on memory sticks.

• 2 months later...

From 1up

Rumors of a major PSP hardware redesign have repeatedly bubbled to the surface over the last several months -- some claiming the removal of the system's UMD disc drive, and others pointing to a second analog stick and sliding screen. According to sources directly involved with the new system, we have learned that Sony will quell those rumors by unveiling their revamped PSP at this year's E3 conference in June.

Many have speculated that the update would be called either the PSP 2 or PSP-4000, but our sources claim Sony will forgo a numerical moniker in favor of a subtitle. We've heard various rumored code names for the project (including PSP Slide, PSP Flip, and PSP Go!), but given that Sony has introduced the Go! brand of add-ons (the Go!View video on-demand service and 1.3 megapixel Go!Cam) for the European PSP, it seems likely that the new system will in fact be called the PSP Go! Our sources further confirm that this redesign will be available in two SKUs, with either eight or 16 GB of built-in flash memory. The system is set for release in Japan this September with a U.S. debut coming in either late October or early November.

In addition, since the UMD is going away, Sony will have over 100 classic and new PSP titles available for download at launch (Gran Turismo Mobile is said to be one of the premier launch titles). As for the hardware itself, the redesign will include a d-pad, analog nub, and face buttons as part of a sliding unit sticking out below the screen (as seen in our mockup above). Unfortunately for those looking for twin-stick shooter controls, the new system will not have a second analog stick, but instead will remain consistent with the current control configuration.

When asked about any of these details, Sony, of course, stated that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation."

As a bit of actual speculation, we wouldn't be surprised to see Sony borrow many design features from their Mylo 2 handheld Internet device, which is seemingly dead in the water. This could provide an 800x480 pixel touch screen for the system, as well as a camera on the system's backside.

Between the redesign and a strong lineup of recently announced PSP titles (see: Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny), Sony is clearly attempting to assert their relevance in the wake of the DSi's release and success of the iPhone as a gaming platform. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a splash Sony makes and the reaction the new hardware receives when it debuts at E3, which is only a month away. Preloading every PSP Go! with a copy of LittleBigPlanet would certainly make some waves.

So how would I play my old PSP games? And why would GAME or Gamestation want to sell that if they can't sell games with it?

This is a good point Hendo san, maybe they'd get some kind of deal to sell credit for the games, but this is a very good point, unless Sony are going to do some kind of thing where you pay 30 odd quid for a voucher which when activated allows you to download a game....but this could perceivably be hacked.

So how would I play my old PSP games?

They could start a scheme where you send your UMD to them and they supply you with a unique download code. Thus keeping the consumer happy whilst also killing off the second hand PSP game market in one fell swoop. It won't happen though, it's too sensible.

So how would I play my old PSP games?

They could start a scheme where you send your UMD to them and they supply you with a unique download code. Thus keeping the consumer happy whilst also killing off the second hand PSP game market in one fell swoop. It won't happen though, it's too sensible.

i wouldve thought, if the thing connects to the internet, than by putting the disc in the original psp and connecting with it the online shop could confirm on your account that you have a retail version of that game? pretty sure all games have unique codes, so it could only be used once to stop people just sharing the game. possible, i guess

• 4 weeks later...

Sony to offer digital PSP game rentals?

Sony could launch a subscription-based digital game rental service for the PSP, according to a questions that appeared in a recent consumer survey.

As reported by Joystiq the survey is polling PSP owners on various subscription options for a games-on-demand service. "The service will enable you to download a fixed number of games during your subscription period," the survey says. You'd have the option to choose new titles once the subscription period - which may be weekly, monthly or otherwise - has ended.

"At launch there will be an extensive catalogue of games to choose from, with more titles being added to the catalogue each month," apparently.

It's all more fuel to the fire that Sony is about to unveil a new PSP with a hard drive instead of a UMD player. Here's hoping we'll find out if there's any truth to the rumours at E3 next month.

It's all pointing to one thing, isn't it? I have to say, I'm getting more interested in the PSP2 and subscription service (depending on price) would be a good thing, in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Sony are doing an event in Japan either today or tomorrow, I think it's early tomorrow morning our time.

Current rumours say the specs are:

- Dimensions: 17X7.4X2.3 cm

- 5" OLED multi-touch screen (12.7 cm)

- Multi-touch trackpad

- Resolution: 960 x 544

- Quad core ARM Cortex A-9

- PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+

- 512MB LPDDR2 RAM (1GB devkits)

- 16GB flash + SD slot

- Wifi, 3G, bluetooth

- Acelerometers, GPS, gyroscope, front and back camera

A Codemasters exec is quoted as saying, "as powerful as a PS3". Will they price themselves out of the market?

192602-ngp_header.jpg

At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Tokyo today, Sony officially announced the successor to the PSP. It's codenamed "NGP" ("Next Generation Portable"), and it appears to have an answer for many of the common complaints about the PSP platform -- and then some. As you can see, its body looks very much like a PSP, but it's larger than the PSP-3000, since it's packing a five-inch OLED multitouch screen at 960×544 (four times the pixels of the PSP). Here's what else we know about the hardware:

two analog sticks (yes, you read that correctly: sticks, not nubs like on the PSP -- they rise above the body of the device)

3G, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and GPS radios

the same motion sensors (three-axis accelerometer, three-axis gyroscope) as the PlayStation Move

a multitouch touchpad on the rear of the unit that's the same size as the front screen

front- and rear-facing cameras

a multi-core GPU

The screen can distinguish actions such as "touch, grab, trace, push, and pull." According to the developers (both first- and third-party) who showcased their wares at the press conference, the "NGP environment is very flexible and very easy to develop for," and apparently, "On NGP, we can enjoy the same quality as PS3." In fact, Hideo Kojima came out on stage to show an in-engine cutscene from Metal Gear Solid 4 rendered natively on the NGP.

Other games demoed at the event include: an Uncharted title with touch-screen interaction; a Hot Shots Golf game where the NGP's motion-sensing tech provided first-person golfing; Yakuza; Monster Hunter; Dynasty Warriors; and Epic Games' Dungeon Defenders, which is currently available on Android. NGP games won't come on discs -- they'll actually be sold on flash-memory cartridges.

Pics from kotaku

ngp1.jpg

ngp3.jpg

7_01.jpg

2_02.jpg