passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

"Gone Home" by The Fullbright Company

dekard49

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/30/2988880/bioshock-the-fullbright-company

'BioShock' designer founds new studio, The Fullbright Company

By Emily Geraon April 30, 2012 01:23 pm 3Comments

Former BioShock designer Steve Gaynor announced today a new Oregon-based independent studio, The Fullbright Company, founded alongside fellow 2K Marin colleagues Johnnemann Nordhagen and Karla Zimonja.

The small team is developing a first-person exploration-based PC title influenced in part by atmospheric first-person games and the open-ended design of BioShock.

"Since we are a small team and we don't have a ton of resources, we wanted to take one part of that BioShock experience," Gaynor told Polygon in an interview today.

"Basically strip out the combat and all the life and death danger that comes with games that are about shooting or any kind of running from enemies, and make it exclusively about being in a place that's extremely immersive and believable, and letting the player explore the environment and interrogate it really deeply and pull the story out from there. It's about exploring a place and finding what's there and what happened there."

Describing his creative influences for the title in-development, Gaynor stated:

"I'm going to drop this on you without any further explanation but two of my biggest creative influences are System Shock and My So-Called Life.

"They are influences on two very opposite ends of the scale as far as the experience and the fiction and aesthetic."

Gaynor previously worked with Nordgagen and Zimonja on BioShock 2 DLC Minerva's Den before reforming independently under The Fullbright Company banner.

"I think that independent development has a huge advantage in agility and the freedom to try stuff that I guess is more risky. And we are doing a game that doesn't fit into a very clear genre, that couldn't be marketable I'm guessing on the scale of the companies that we've worked for before require."

The Fullbright Company is aiming to release the title next year but hope to have a showable section available for press later this year.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/8/3006941/the-fullbright-company-reveals-its-first-game-gone-home

The Fullbright Company reveals its first game, 'Gone Home'

By Griffin McElroyon May 8, 2012 01:00 pm 2Comments

The Fullbright Company, a new indie outfit founded by former BioShock designer Steve Gaynor, revealed its first project: a 3D exploration adventure game, titled Gone Home.

A post on The Fullbright Company's blog gives some background on its first opus. Gone Home places players inside of a "modern, residential locale," which they must explore to learn more about the home and what happened to its inhabitants. Players will be able to interact with physics-based elements in the environment as they search through clues and rifle through cabinets. Think: sort of similar to Shenmue, but with way fewer Gashapon machines.

The studio also revealed a two-minute gameplay preview of the title, both of which are posted below. The blog post stresses that the footage is culled from an early version of the title — Fullbright is focusing its efforts on completing the first half of the title, adding that only 5 percent of art and sound assets are currently in the game. The team will also be going dark after today's announcement until the game's development is further along.

"This is the biggest chunk of Gone Home that we're going to show until we do a full trailer and reveal, probably later this year," the studio's blog reads.

Screens and vids in link!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
First-person urban exploration mystery Gone Home comes out on PC and Mac on 15th August, developer The Fullbright Company has announced.

The game launches on Steam, and DRM-free through the Gone Home website for $19.99.

Gone Home tells the realistic story of the Greenbriar family through the eyes of their college-aged daughter who's returned from a year studying abroad only to find her family is not home. Where are they? What are they doing? Are they okay? As you poke about the family's newly inherited manor home you must piece together what everyone's been up to for the last year, as the game is set in 1995 before we could cheaply close the transcontinental gap with a simple e-mail or Skype call.

I played the first half hour of Gone Home back in November where I found myself falling in love with its hyper-detailed down-to-earth setting. "Gone Home is a lot of things," I wrote in my Gone Home preview. "It's a mystery unraveled at your own pace, a coming of age story and a family drama. But perhaps most of all it's a time capsule." I for one can't wait to party like it's 1995.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-02-gone-home-goes-to-your-home-in-a-fortnight

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad it's getting so well reviewed, but I'm avoiding them as don't want to know any more about it before I play.

I've added it to my Steam wishlist for now, I'm kind of on a not needing to buy games on launch thing right now. It does make avoiding spoilers a pain sometimes, though.

• 3 months later...