passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DANGERMAN

Diablo 3 had an open beta last weekend, a stress test for the servers, but there's was a decent amount of game to play through

It's Diablo, point where you want to walk to, click on enemies to attack them, hit your hot keys when your specials are charged, pick up loot. I'm not sure why these games work, and I'm not sure why Diablo and Torchlight work better than Dungeon Siege.

I only played as the barbarian, with these kind of games I tend to find I get swamped, so playing as the character best suited to close combat suits me, but he does seem a lot less interesting than some of the other characters. I will say, and I know it's very early in the game to make any sort of judgement (you play the first act), that it hasn't grabbed me as much as Torchlight did, but it's still enjoyable and hugely compulsive. It's quite easy too, apparently that's just how Diablo plays, and I certainly wouldn't want it to be too hard, but it was only on the boss fight that I had to use a health potion.

The problems though, the game has to be connected to the net at all times. It doesn't matter if you're playing single player with no intention of ever taking it online, it needs to be connected to the net. And not just connected in a casual way, checking in every now and then, it seems to be virtually running the game from a server. What this means is that if the server is busy you get lag. Click on an enemy to attack and either you wont perform the action or you will and the enemy wont react for a second or so. You also get put back a few steps from time to time, like you've unsynched with the server and lose the last couple of seconds of play.

There's also the obvious issue of this meaning you cant play the game if your net, or Blizzard's servers, go down. I think this is due to the auction house for loot that allows real world money purchases. I get that being offline runs the risk of people hacking the game and selling created weapons when they get online, but I'd happily take the option of never being allowed to sell stuff in exchange for being able to play offline.

All this could change as it was a beta, and the lag might never be a problem again. Although I suspect the launch weekend could be a nightmare. Shame because the game itself is very good

It is coming out on consoles, so i'll definitely be waiting for the 360 version. Never played Diablo 1 or 2.

I did like Torchlight but got so sick of it by the time i finished it. Torchlight 2 is going to start out at €20 i think, so i'll be holding out for a Steam sale on that one too.

It will be interesting to see which game ends up being more popular (at least, critically). Apparently Diablo III has had some mixed reactions so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody getting this when it comes out tomorrow?

Im thinking of getting it as ive been itching for something but whenever I think about buying another FPS or typical RPG it bores me, think this might be what fills the void, I havnt played a diablo since the first one so it will be awesome to see the changes in the new one.

This is excellent. That's all that really needs to be said about this. I actually saw light coming through the windows by the time I'd finished playing and still wanted more.

Played mostly single player, a good chunk of the first act I suspect. Started a Monk which I'm really enjoying so far. The combat is fast, hectic and makes you feel like a total badass. The music and sound effects really add extra punch when you're blitzing through hordes of undead. I went back for some multiplayer and it's loads of fun, spent longer than I intended playing with a bunch of randoms. Unfortunately the real money auction house isn't live until 23rd May but i'm interested to see how that pans out.

Weirdly for a Blizzard game, the Mac performance sucks. if you're thinking about playing on a Mac make sure it's a pretty beefy machine otherwise the game will chug, even on the lowest settings. I'd probably just recommend playing on Windows from the off tbh. Luckily when you download the installer it downloads both the Windows and Mac files so you can try each without wasting the bandwidth downloading individually. One minor thing that's a little disappointing is that you need to log into Battle.net in order to play, there's no offline mode at all, but whatever, it's no major issue anymore as you're connected most of the time anyway.

I can see myself spending alot of time with this.

Is it performance on the mac, or server lag? Rock, Paper, Shotgun reported lag even in single player on launch night.

Also, is the rrp really £50 like i'm reading online? That's a lot even for the usual Activision/Blizzard premium. Of course it's actually £35 everywhere, but even that's more than average for a pc game, but people will willingly pay that for anything with blizzard on the box.

Reaction seems pretty good (apart from issues resulting from the always-online drm / blizzard server problems). It seems like it's going to review well.

I'd like to play, but the online requirement and other restrictions are enough to put me off paying the asking price.

I'll probably wait til Torchlight 2 for my click and loot fix, and if D3 ever goes on sale for the same price as Torchlight (around £15) I could probably put up with the limitations for that.

It's just general performance on the Mac, I get about 10 -15 fps more out of Windows on the same hardware. No lag in the actual game either from what i've seen so far, in single or multiplayer.

I play WoW (well, not at the moment I don't :D) so the login process is pretty familiar to me, kind of like second nature so I tend not to notice too much. I can see how it might put some people off though. It's good to have MMO chat channels there whilst you're playing, so that's one benefit. The community is very friendly and willing to help out at the moment which is also cool. Not sure how long that will last though.

just getting login error after login error, makes the fact that they insist upon logging into battle.net even more annoying as they create a problem for themselves that cannot be fixed, no amount of servers can handle this many attempts to login at once....fucking poor

I keep hearing about the elective mode, I'll have to play about with it if/when I get this

Turning on Elective mode should be the first order of business once you've logged in, doesn't make any sense that it's off by default.

I leveled each class almost to 10, played the Witch Doctor to 18, then finally decided to play as the Monk for the rest of the game. They're bloody awesome.

The attention to detail, audio and especially the skill system just get better and better as you progress. I've become a full-on Diablo addict over this past week, even to the point of playing Diablo 2 when Battle.net went down yesterday blush.gif

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen

A quick glance online shows multiple reports of Diablo 3 accounts being hacked, suggesting it is a growing issue. Players have seen the loss of items stored in character inventory and stash, and gold removed as their accounts are stripped bare. Blizzard has been working to "roll back" affected characters to a point before accounts were compromised, but some progress is lost.

The reports coincided with the EU Diablo 3 servers going offline on Sunday afternoon for around four hours, preventing players from logging in (error 33). It has been suggested that the EU servers were taken offline following a SQL injection attack, but this remains unconfirmed.

Blizzard offers an Authenticator designed to provide extra security to your account. Donlan did not have the authenticator before the hack, but reports suggest accounts have been compromised even with this enabled.

This is the company who run the most successful MMO there has ever been. You'd think they'd have this server and account shit down...

can I be the first to state the obvious, that it wouldn't have happened without the DRM

I think it's multiplayer related in this instance. Basically if you join a public game some dick can get hold of information needed to steal your character.

Again: Blizzard. Over a decade of multiplayer game development experience. :facepalm:

If they were clever, these people would have waited until the cash auction house went live before stealing everyone's shit.

This is the company who run the most successful MMO there has ever been. You'd think they'd have this server and account shit down...

You can't prevent stupidity. This was inevitable, what with the massive number of new Battle.net accounts being created, the majority without any extra authentication I'd bet. It's the responsibility of the user to secure their own shit with the tools provided. If an authenticator, either a token or app, isn't used then you may as well just have a blank password for all the good it does you.

You can't prevent stupidity. This was inevitable, what with the massive number of new Battle.net accounts being created, the majority without any extra authentication I'd bet. It's the responsibility of the user to secure their own shit with the tools provided. If an authenticator, either a token or app, isn't used then you may as well just have a blank password for all the good it does you.

This does sound like it's Blizzard's fault if this is to be believed: exposing information that can the be used in an exploit to bypass authentication completely.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239

I'm not sure that's fair, people expect that a password will be safe. Granted people should mix up their passwords more, but at a certain point the extra security becomes more than it's worth for the general population

can I be the first to state the obvious, that it wouldn't have happened without the DRM

I think it's multiplayer related in this instance. Basically if you join a public game some dick can get hold of information needed to steal your character.

fair enough. As I understand it you can see what people in your game have by clicking on their name, so I guess if you have something awesome (lots of gold or a weapon that will be worth a bit) you're more likely to have your account hacked? Or is it simply, see username hack account, take whatever's there