passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Windows 8

Cyberpunk

Windows 8.1 is live for Windows 8 users and will go live tomarrow for non-Window 8 users. Biggest thing is the start button is back, but really have not played around with all the new stuff. I saw a few new apps on the start page. Once I get into the nuts a bolts I write some more on my thoughts.

Ive just got a new work PC which has Windows 8 on it, it appears im one of those people that complains about things being different. I can see why the things it has are useful actually, and I think the biggest problem is that im not used to the good way, im used to the bad way of windows 7.

All the same im going to download that update and see if its suits me better.

After some uses Windows 8.1 is much improved. Here what I have seen so far.

Pros

- You can set desktop wallpaper as background on the start menu

- You can now boot into desktop as defualt instead of booting into start menu

- When pinning tiles in groups you can name the group. Say like "Office" "Xbox" "News" and so on.

- A official Facebook app joins the official Twitter app, so no more looking at ads on Facebook

- You can now resize metro tiles like you can on Windows phone

- An all new refreshed Bing with new logo

- Window Gift Cards can be used in the Windows Store

- Much improved Xbox Game, Xbox Muice and Xbox Video apps

- Firefox now can be downloaded with Bing as Defualt (Stick it up your ass Google)

- Handful of new and helpful Microsoft apps

- Improved Mail, Skydrive, OneNote clients

Cons

- Internet Explore still suck, becuase the Trident Engine Sucks. So Download Firefox people!!

Still have more to toy around with, so I post up more if I find anything that excites me.

Bill Gates said “higher is better” when asked whether he used Windows 8, but this isn’t always the case in Windows-land. I remember Windows Me, which loved to blue-screen — I stuck with Windows 98. I remember Windows Vista, which couldn’t transfer files over a network at reasonable speeds — like many people, I stuck with Windows XP. Now a new Windows version shows up again and it’s time to evaluate whether this one is worth the upgrade (like 7 was) or whether we should stick with the old version of Windows once again.

I give credit where credit is due. Whatever you think of it, Windows 8 isn’t another Me or Vista. Both Me and Vista had stability and performance problems. Windows 8 is extremely stable and speedy. Windows 8’s problem is its vision, not its implementation.

The problem with W8 is it was designed by people who use tablets all the time. Not many people have tablets, and those that do are using Apple ones mainly. W8 has crammed in a front end for the minute percentage of people using on touch devices. It's that that has fucked so many KBAM users. I totally understand where they've come from but many of us are not ready for it yet. Skirt all the touch stuff to the side until it becomes the majority share in Windows users, until then stick with what we've had since the 90's front and centre.

Windows 8.1 is excellent. People just have to be willing to put time into learning how to use it. Also, Sly you can boot into desktop in 8.1 and I've never had an issue using apps with keyboard and mouse. Win 8.1 makes Win7 look medieval. It a great OS ... but that my 'pinion.

The problem with W8 is it was designed by people who use tablets all the time. Not many people have tablets, and those that do are using Apple ones mainly. W8 has crammed in a front end for the minute percentage of people using on touch devices. It's that that has fucked so many KBAM users. I totally understand where they've come from but many of us are not ready for it yet. Skirt all the touch stuff to the side until it becomes the majority share in Windows users, until then stick with what we've had since the 90's front and centre.

Only if those users are somehow running android on their iPads: http://tinyurl.com/prghgo7

Also, just between android and apple there are a reported 278 million tablet users. Tiny in comparison to desktop users I would imagine, but it wont stay that way.

Windows 8.1 causing mouse lag in games apparently

Uh oh: Recently released Windows update 8.1 appears to be causing mouse lag and cursor-jumping in some PC games.

A Reddit thread reporting the issue described Deus Ex: Human Revolution and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat as "close to unplayable" as a result. Apparently Call of Duty games and Metro 2033 are affected as well.

It's only video games that don't use Raw Input for reading mouse movements that are in trouble. Something has changed in the way Windows updates pointer positions and that's what is apparently causing the problems.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-21-windows-8-1-causing-mouse-lag-that-badly-affects-games

Gabe Newell couldn't be reached for comment as he's currently in his angry room

• 4 months later...