passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Windows 8

Cyberpunk

Just thought you'd like to know that the next iteration of Microsoft Windows, currently named 'Windows 8' has just gone public with it's beta build. This is a free version of Microsoft Windows 8. Although it goes without saying that while Microsoft beta builds are usually pretty stable, I wouldn't use this as your primary operating system.

windows_8_screenshot.jpg

This build is close to what you will see in the shops when it gets released for resale. It is a fully licensed full operating system, and will support most of your existing software with only minor updates needed usually. It is free to use until Windows 8 hits the shops. I've been running the alpha build for a few months, and I have to say it's not bad at all.

When you use the Consumer Preview Setup program, there will be an option after the download completes to Install to another partition. Selecting this option allows you to create installation media that is customized for your machine based on your current architecture and language, and also gives you a unique product key that you will need to enter when you start Advanced Setup later. This is the safest option, as it preserves your existing Windows installation. You can try Windows 8 without losing anything on your pc. Generally speaking, if your computer can run Windows Vista or Windows 7, it'll be able to run Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview download

Or you can download the Windows 8 disc image to burn to DVD from here.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Iso

You don't have to use the display pictured above. By clicking on the 'Desktop' button, it becomes normal Windows, with all that entails.

I'll have to spend more time with it. We're still trying to figure out how to upgrade from XP at work. Slow and steady..

Well guys, I've been running Windows 8 Beta on my laptop for a week as it's primary operating system, just so I can tell you what it's like to live with on a day to day basis. And I can sum it up in one sentence. "Where the fuck is that, then?" That's what you ask yourself most of the time when you use it.

It goes like this. Windows 8 starts, and you log in. Now, at the log in stage are the first couple of changes. First off, you see your lock screen, which is a pretty picture, with the time, date, and your wi-fi and battery status displayed in the bottom left corner. Tap space, and you see the log in screen. Now you have a choice of an offline profile (usual Windows log in on Windows 7 or below) or an online profile, where you log in with your Windows Live details. This connects your pc to Windows Live, XBox, and Facebook, once you've given it all your details and secrets, and sold it your children.

Now we have the 'Start' screen, as pictured above. From here you can get to your most used programs, such as Internet Explorer, Email, Pictures, etc. You can add programs to it by right-clicking on the program shortcut, and selecting 'Pin to Start'. You can also download apps from the Windows App Store. Now here's where it gets weird. In order to get to what would be your 'Start Menu' on Windows 7, you right-click on the Start screen, and select 'All Programs'. Then the start screen changes to a side scrolling full screen menu system. If you want the traditional desktop, you select the desktop app from the Start screen. But the desktop has no Start button on the taskbar, making it pretty pointless.

Most apps have no visible way of shutting them down after you use them. I've found that you have to tap the Windows key on your keyboard, to get back to the Start screen. Then, by hovering your mouse at the top left of the screen, you get a list of open programs. Right-click on them to close them.

To turn off the pc, hover the mouse over the bottom right of the screen. A sidebar appears on the right, and you select the cog icon. This is the pc's settings menu, with screen brightness, current language, etc. Also, the 'Shut Down' icon is there.

And as for the apps, Xbox Companion, Facebook, Xbox Games, and others don't currently work in the UK. Some of the new Windows games (Pinball FX, Flow, Cut the Rope) should give you Xbox cheeves, but that's turned off too. The pictures, mail, messaging, music, and video apps work very well, and look nice on the Tv, after the lappy is hooked up. There's weather apps, finance, and the type of stuff you'd find on Itunes/Android Marketplace. You can see that this is geared towards tablets and touch screens.

To end, there are some really good bits. When Xbox Companion works, it should seamlessly interface with your Xbox360, for music and video streaming, and some gameplay elements. It's interface is rendered by your graphics card, instead of the software rendering currently used, making it very quick. But having to hunt for the things you want, having no traditional menu system, which we've been using since 1995, and hiding all the guts of the OS (control panel, shut down, windows explorer, etc) make it currently very frustrating.

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that they're really focusing the UI on tablets and touchscreen devices (and maybe even Kinect too). Possibly too much.

I'm happy to stick with Windows 7 for a while. I normally only change OS when I get a new PC, so hopefully by that time they'll have desktop usability sorted.

• 2 months later...

http://spong.com/article/27708/PC-Developers-Agree-Windows-8-is-Cause-for-Concern

It's not just Gabe Newell that apparently has a problem with Windows 8. Following similar comments from Blizzard's Rob Pardo and Markus 'Notch' Persson, it would seem there are a few PC developers that believe that Microsoft has something of a "wrongheaded strategy".

The big concern is of the "walled garden" that features prominently in Windows 8's touch-based user interface. "Hopefully the market will be able to adapt to the wrongheaded strategy Microsoft is employing with Windows 8," says Brad Wardell of Stardock.

"PC Games have always been gamers' games, edgy and adapting fast. I do really agree with Gabe Newell's comment that the one thing holding back Linux is gaming, and how significant gaming actually is to purchasers' choices," said Day Z creator Dean Hall.

"There is quite an interesting market transition happening right now, that in a way DayZ got caught up in the middle of. With the consoles hitting the end of their life, it would seem PC gaming appears - in the short term at least - to be pushing forward pretty strongly.

"It's really too early to say what impact it would have for development of projects like DayZ, much of our backend architecture is already running on Linux... This whole scenario feels much like the Microsoft I recall upending the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise, a decision that I couldn't figure out whether I was more angry or puzzled by."

I don't really get the fuss over this. As I understand it the PC version of the OS is just a polished W7 with the option of having the touchscreen tiles.

I don't really get the fuss over this. As I understand it the PC version of the OS is just a polished W7 with the option of having the touchscreen tiles.

From what I've read, I seems like they're trying to shoehorn the tablet style interface onto desktop PCs.

For example unless they've changed it: it boots directly into the Metro touchscreen style interface, apps launch into fullscreen with no window controls, and requires weird approximations of gesture controls with a mouse.

Some criticisms here:

http://m.kotaku.com/5897763/three-killer-problems-that-threaten-windows-8

Don't know if that's still how it is. I don't like to fuck about with pre-release OS stuff.

Don't know if that's still how it is. I don't like to fuck about with pre-release OS stuff.

Yep, that's how it is still. It's just gone RTM. That's Released To Manufacturer. So now Dell, HP, Asus, etc have there hands on it, and are modifying it to their specs, like every other Windows.

My major problem is the whole Metro UI thing. I'd prefer an updated Windows 7 with the Metro UI as an option. Don't force me to use it if I don't want to.

Microsoft to drop 'Metro' name for Windows 8

A potential trademark dispute has forced Microsoft to drop the Metro name for Windows 8's blocky, tile-based interface.

Talks with an "important European partner" have brought about the change according to internal memos seen by tech news site The Verge.

The partner is believed to be German retail giant Metro AG.

Microsoft is currently working out what to call the interface and said the new name would be announced soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19108952

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it looks nice and all but they really need to sort it out. They've essentially hidden the start button and even when you press it none of the stuff you'd expect to find in there is there. It's like they have messed about with it just because they can mess about with it. It probably works better with a touchscreen but it sucks a bit with the mouse. They should have just updated W7 with the metro overlay and left all the windows and file searching in for those that will be using a keyboard and mouse. It seems a bit pointless. I can see a bit of a backlash when people buy PC's with this pre-installed.

I do like the way the panels and stuff are laid out though. That's well nice.

Yeah weve got it here at work, its okay, look amazing, but as always theyve just fucked with shit for the hell of it. 'Oh it must be good, and it must have taken them ages because everything is different' type thing.

Theres ALWAYS a backlash to be fair, with anything that people use lots and then changes, but especially Microsoft stuff.

• 2 months later...

I just finished doing a Win 8 install on my Laptop and so far my feelings are mixed. The most important thing is that Steam and my games work on the new OS. I am confused on why I was forced to make an avatar and open a Xbox Live account just to play Mahjong and Minesweeper. I guess that is Microsoft's future plan for Xbox?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but apparently the 64GB Surface Pro tablet (out in a couple of weeks) only has 23GB of usable space once Windows and programs are accounted for.

That's ridiculous. It's also something wrong with all tablet/phone/mp3 players - they should be advertised according to usable space, not the overall storage size.

• 4 weeks later...

been using windows 8 at work for about a week now, pinned pretty much everything i use to the taskbar, and right clicking in the bottom left is useful, i barely ever see the metro stuff/new start menu so its pretty similar to win7 - i like it.

been using it at home for a while but never really do anything complicated on the pc at home, so didn't feel like i'd tried it properly till now.

• 7 months later...

Windows 8.1 preview ad. Start button is back, boot into desktop, run multiple apps side by side, Start page more like Windows Phone.

If you have Windows 8 installed then 8.1 is free and will be made avalible via the Windows Stores app. Everyone will have to pay for the update. Goes live on Oct. 16th.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VQb5caeSo00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QGrv7JbzjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>