passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Darkness II

Hendo

More or less the same gameplay as the first but I only played the demo of that.

Visually, though, it is pretty different as it's gone for a more cel-shaded look which really suits it, seeing as it's come from a comic book graphic novel.

It's pretty grim and gory at times and Mike Patton is back on full, deranged extreme metal vocal style.

Also, a brilliant way to open the game with a bang.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy of Mass Effect 3 but all I want to do is play this, as last night I booted it back and it gave me a proper "oh shit!" moment.

I don't know how this will pan out and I won't spoil it but suddenly there's a possibility of there being a different reality and all fantasy guns and Mike Patton stuff isn't the true reality.

I really want to see how they wrap this one up.

• 11 months later...

I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more posts in here, I know it didn't set the world alight but you'd think more people would have played it.

I've only played the first level, I've just got out of the sewers and back to Johnny's house (is that his name?). I've a few pc issues with it, firstly it's giving me all the instructions as though I'm playing with a controller, which I wasn't initially. I've switched now, but I'd rather play an fps with a mouse, and my aiming with a stick suffered straight away, but then because of the demon arms, maybe the trade off for shoulder buttons is worth it.

I quite like the shooting but I don't like that it limits ammo so much. For the pistol it's not really a problem but I'd like to make more use of the shotgun, but then I guess it gives the skill tree a reason to exist. Killing people with the arms is awesome, using a car door as a shield then flinging it and decapitating someone in particular. But it's not always apparent where enemies are, and getting close enough to them to use the arms isn't always easy.

I really like it so far though, it does seem like you really need to play as though you're going to use the arms (so smashing lights) even if you aren't, just because the perks of having the darkness are so beneficial, and the shooting isn't strong enough that you won't need things like the health regen

From what I can remember you can level up the demon arms? If memory serves, it becomes invaluable to use them rather than guns, especially for getting health back. It does become more important as the game goes on I think.

I loved it, very underrated game. Disappointed with the "proper" end though, the alternative is a much better ending.

• 3 weeks later...

is the proper end the one that sets up the next game, should that actually get made, if so I agree

I liked it, I never felt like I was all that powerful though, all the enemies had to do was get close and circle me and I was fucked thanks to the slow movement. I'd have liked to have ended the game as a killing machine, practically invincible (which I know he is, but it doesn't feel like it). The core game is pretty good though, the shooting could be better but it's not terrible, most of the problems are caused by the auto aim I think.

the story is fairly good too, I didn't like the ward parts that much, it meant there was a lot of bumpf between levels and it was fairly clear what was going on from the 2nd one. However, at least it was different, it felt fully formed, probably because it's a comic series or something