passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning

shaolin_monkey

Official site:

http://reckoning.amalur.com/

Howdy folks. Anyone else being playing this? I've been having a blast. The story is a bit thin so far, but it is colourful, exciting and fast paced. There are quests everywhere you turn, and action around every corner. The landscapes are vast and beautifully crafted. There are a ton of dungeons to explore, and all kinds of nooks and crannies.

What do you guys think of it?

• 1 year later...

Put a few hours into the start of this and while I'm enjoying the combat, the dialogue and town bits are boring me and making me lose interest.

In Torchlight you can completely ignore the story and dialogue given during the side and main quests but on this they seem keen to show you their fleshed out world. You can skip dialogue but there's a lot of it and has Mass Effect style dialogue trees.

I think I've played enough to move on and not come back. Shame as the action is fun enough.

• 6 years later...

THQ really didn't buy all these IPs for show, did they.

It was an okay game. Combat was fun and the world was pretty but the quests were super generic and boring and everything was kind of lifeless. Really a mixed bag but I enjoyed it for a while. 

I enjoyed it, albeit as a mage the game was hugely unbalanced (pretty tough to start off, laughably easy by the end). Also the DLC didn't scale, so by the end, again, it was a cakewalk.

It was all interesting enough (and so too is the story of 38 Studios, MLB's Curt Schilling, and their business loans) but I'd just revisit on the 360 (if I really felt the urge).

I think I had the same experience. I remember having this rain of fire spell at the end which just killed everything in  a 40 yard radius.

A strange lack of personality in the main characters is what I recall. Just something missing.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Coming to Switch on March 16th.

https://youtu.be/SRXASceTh24

Amalur is expanding its borders and heading into the unknown territory of... Nintendo. Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is coming to Nintendo Switch on March 16th, 2021! Just in time before the adventure continues in the brand-new expansion, Fatesworn, coming later this year. Return to the Faelands and forge your fate into the shape of your choosing. Uncover the secrets of Amalur and rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war - finally on-the-go!

• 2 months later...

I remember playing this on PS3 for about 15 or 20 hours before losing interest so I made the rational decision of buying it again for Switch.

In my defense, I think this is a game that benefits a lot from a re-release. On its initial release it always felt like it came five years too late. The world was lifeless and structured in a very artificial way compared to Cyrodill and Skyrim. Dialogue sequence meanwhile were extremely stiff, characters had about two facial experessions and very low-poly, blocky models, which is something BioWare was doing way better at the time. So coming out at the tail end of a generation and doing a lot of things worse than other recent games in the genre made me lose interest in it after a while.

But if you pick it up today and get into it actually expecting something that's not quite up to modern standards I think really work in its favour. It's certainly not a better game than it was in 2012 (?) but simply knowing what you're getting into turns this into a rather enjoyable, if superficial, experience.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Switch version though if you don't plan on playing it it handheld mode. Doesn't look much better than it did on last-last-gen, even if the resolution is a tad higher.

Completely forgot this game had DLC back in the day. I more or less randomly stumbled into the Teeth of Naros area yesterday which was a really nice surprise because it looked way better than everything I've ever seen in the main game and introduced a new race of character that's actually kind of unique, unlike literally everything else in this game. It also seems kind of tailored to your playstyle a bit because some NPC gave me a sceptre that combos extremely well with my mage build. Really cool.

Will pause it for the moment and go somewhere else though. There's a truckload of interesting loot lying around and I'm still carrying a children's backpack.

• 8 months later...