passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

I think from a dev POV they will definitely prefer the tech which takes some of the work and makes it easier even at a performance cost. If you look at it that way it can also be impactful to gameplay experience stuff cause devs could spend more time on that side of things than worrying about the manual methods used now.

Like this is not a fair comparison cause I'm not sure the picture here of Miles is actually how good the lighting is in gameplay and the Peter Parker one is just a random recreation of the Miles trailer but it's the kind of difference which we could be seeing,with Peter looking all lit up and glowing strangely like he's Jesus or something and Miles looking like he actually belongs in the world

1497BD2E-B2F1-45CA-BE5F-823F544FD32B.jpeg

I get why people want higher minimum and average framerates but ultimately it would stall what games could be if we went that way. People might say they want this now but 6 years down the line would people be satisfied with a generation of games that run super smooth but barely look improved over PS4? If framerate is really that important to people and they insist on it then there is a platform for that (PC). Ultimately consoles pay the framerate price here as the standard bearers of this technology. PC gets this tech first but it can't really be pushed until it's on a platform that's widely available. We're never going to see another game like Crysis where it's basically built for a PC that didn't exist at the time, consoles will always be the 'medium setting' experience that lifts everything up.

I feel like the kinds of games where 60 and higher FPS is transformative can be counted on one hand anyway. Fighting games, FPS, MMO, platformer, dmc-style games. A lot of stuff fits well with being built around 30. I'm also going to bet people will be disappointed with 120fps when they try it first, it really gets to be diminishing returns after a while especially on a controller.

Makes sense to be honest. The first HD systems only put out 720p most of the time, 1080 was a very, very rare occurrence which only somewhat became standard during this generation and not even in every game (particularly some more taxing titles on standard Xbox One).

Next-gen as the technically first 4K-ready generation only occasionally reaching that resolution natively and otherwise using something in-between 1080p and 4K seems like history simply repeating itself.

I don't care either way to be honest. Depending on the game I'd rather they either make it look super clean and pretty or super smooth.

Seeing as this has come up again, what Dusk Golem (AestheticGamer) says about horror games - particularly Capcom/RE - can be treated as reliable. But with this it's a bit of a shot in the dark really, RE8 was apparently struggling to run at Native 4K on PS5 in June/July this year when it was running at Native 4K in the showcase along with a load of other PS5 games? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, even if RE8 was struggling to run in Native 4K on PS5 in June/July 2020 that doesn't mean it'll struggling running in Native 4K in March/April 2021, optimisation is just a part of development, if it was coming out in 2 months then it would be a bit more of a worry, but it's not.

Also whether his info is reliable or not he only 'knows' about RE8 struggling to run at Native 4K. This has been extrapolated by many as 'PS5 struggles to run games at Native 4K' which is utter horseshit and more FUD.

Saying that though, I wouldn't be all that surprised or particularly arsed if checkerboarding/upscaling was still being implemented across some select titles on PS5 and XSX at some point over its lifespan. As @one-armed dwarf touches on, even PC games struggle a lot running Native 4K, games like Control I wouldn't of been able to run at QHD (let alone 4K) if it wasn't for DLSS (Nvidia's upscaling tech) which bumps 1080p up to 4K. 

How so @Maf

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Jesus, this all looks and sounds like Apple. "Be the first to give us money for our product, faithful follower. And don't forget: only you as a first-class consumer will be able to play Spider-Man in The Avengers."

Another weird take this. You expect them to not take pre-orders for their new console in this day and age? It's just standard practice. They did the same for the PS4 and the anniversary/limited edition consoles too.

I think it's a bit silly to take umbrage with Sony wanting to sell their console, I mean, that's the whole point. ?

Worth noting that pre-order page is US only. So you won't have to be triggered looking at it in 2022 when you get your PS5. 

I think his point is they frame it as “Register for an opportunity”. Wow, thank you for letting me apply for the privilege of exchanging money for goods ?

These things will be in high demand and probably sold out for a while so pre-ordering is going to be important if you want one this year, but there is also a level of pretentiousness to the above pre-order page.

Classic Sony.

8 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The questionairre thing is weird to me as well. Like if you haven't played PS before does that make you a second class pre-orderer, that's how it reads

The FAQ section may seem a little strange, I think it's probably to stop their support lines being bombarded, they obviously know pre-order demand will be high so are limiting numbers. I'm not sure why but in the US Sony sell PS consoles direct, they did this with the 20Y anniversary console and the one that was blue and transluscent along with the PS4 launch. 

I presume their (direct) allocation will be small compared to the numbers available to retailers. Again, this isn't an issue for us in Europe as there's no PS direct service here. 

I never got that at all @Maf it's just the same as the 'register your interest' pages available for PS5/XSX on many UK retailers' websites. It's a weird thing to take umbrage with. ?

This whole overblown, pretentious hype machine is utterly ridiculous. Keighley gets a truckload of views for showing other people how he holds the PS5 controller and now we get an "opportunity" to pre-order it.

Jesus Christ, it's plastic box that plays videogames. I mean this is worlds beyond the PS3 days when they said stuff like "work longer and harder to afford a PS3". But unlike back then they're not even getting ridiculed anymore. Maybe I'm just fed up with a lot of people having these IMO really unhealthy relationships with companies with an alarming lack of scepticism.

Or maybe I just need a web-wide Twitter-block-thing.

On one hand yes it is ridiculous. On another hand the alternative is to just shit it out on release date and hope people buy it.

Its just the times we live in now isn’t it. Every little bastard detail is hyped. 3k rumour videos, a majority of which turn out to be inaccurate but that’s washed over the next time they make another because HYPE ??