Sly Reflex

Sony Consoles and Updates

As amazing as GP is and Sony need to substantially step up their game the fact that the new Xbox won’t have any new games is a massive blow. And they did it to themselves is the funny thing.

Even though launch line ups tend to be pretty underwhelming with a new console I’m looking for new games and if Sony has that I see myself going that way first.

The other thing is I’ll end up with both as always but if I had to just pick one of the bat, it’ll be the one that has new games on it

I feel like I’m the only one who ever says this and no one else seems to care but exclusives are the most important thing a console has. A great subscription service I think has just proven that it’s also the new necessary second but you got no games then you got no pitch, really. 

It’s like a gun with no bullets

I think you might need to use more apt terms than "no new games" and "no exclusives"... it'll have both and saying otherwise is just plain wrong.

Now given that those games will play on older hardware in no way takes away from the fact that they are exclusive to Xbox or indeed new... Microsoft have been banging on about scalability since around 2018, I'm not sure why this news came as such a shock to be honest. It's reasonably the same as the pc market and Microsoft have been doing their best to try to ape that on consoles so it seems.

Can't say it bothers me at all, it just means I'll be able to play those games in the living room on the Series X and when its summer I'll play those same games in the conservatory on the X... bonus.

Exclusive or new to the Series X, then. Point being part of what makes me want to spend big money on new hardware is because it should do what the old hardware can’t. If it’s still playing the same games that’s not really good enough. 

That's fair enough... but, according to the internet, choice is a good thing.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Exclusive or new to the Series X, then. Point being part of what makes me want to spend big money on new hardware is because it should do what the old hardware can’t. If it’s still playing the same games that’s not really good enough. 

Haven’t Sony also said their PS5 games will be playable on the PS4 for up to 2 years now too. Just listened to the Bombcast and it was in their news sections. Think that’s just how it’s going now. I agree it’s very disappointing that this is the case though. Sounds like we’ll have to rely on 3rd parties to bring the games that fully utilise the power of the new consoles. Which again is disappointing as 1st party studios always get loads more out of the consoles than 3rd party developers do so new console “wow” moments are going to be few and far between by sounds of it. 

I think you may have misheard that... it definitely goes against all I've seen on the internet so far anyway.

So it’s just more half-step consoles, then? 🤔

Sigh

18 minutes ago, Nag said:

I think you may have misheard that... it definitely goes against all I've seen on the internet so far anyway.

Maybe, I’ve googled it and can’t find that information. I’m sure that’s what they said though... 

Edit - found it. It’s about 1:08:20 in the podcast (premium). There is a slight difference, he says “many of the games launched on the ps5 will also be available to play on the predecessor machine”. So there is a difference in wording there. Could just mean 3rd party games but as Brad points out it’s from a playstation earnings report so could assume its mainly about their games. Or maybe it just means games that are already deep in development that are launching on PS5 but a lot of development has already been finished in the PS4 so they can easily port down. Maybe something like Ghosts of Tsushima? 

Sony aren't headed to Pax East cause of coronavirus. I done told you dudes we're all going to die 

Tin-Foil-Hat-for-Humans-by-Archie-McPhee

You best get through your backlogs while you can. I recommend Disco Elyiusm

Re. last vs new gen console releases

Don't we always have a cross over period, with many titles coming out across old & new gen for 12-18 mths?

Been even more prevalent this gen with recent remasters (GTA V, TLoU, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, etc) too, and wonder if it's not just down to a general reduction in AAA releases compared to the 360/PS3 gen.

Last couple of gen’s, yes. But that was usually 3rd party titles or a remaster. You’d still usually have a couple of exclusives that look quite a bit better than what came before during the launch period. Sure, there will still be some

impressive looking stuff still but there’s no doubt they’ll be held back a bit to ensure previous gen compatibility which is very disappointing IMO. 

That's interesting @mfnick (the PS5 games stuff)... guess it's wait and see how that pans out.

6 hours ago, Maf said:

As amazing as GP is and Sony need to substantially step up their game the fact that the new Xbox won’t have any new games is a massive blow. And they did it to themselves is the funny thing.

Even though launch line ups tend to be pretty underwhelming with a new console I’m looking for new games and if Sony has that I see myself going that way first.

The other thing is I’ll end up with both as always but if I had to just pick one of the bat, it’ll be the one that has new games on it

I feel like I’m the only one who ever says this and no one else seems to care but exclusives are the most important thing a console has. A great subscription service I think has just proven that it’s also the new necessary second but you got no games then you got no pitch, really. 

It’s like a gun with no bullets

I do get where you’re coming from but it’s been Microsoft’s game plan for awhile now to put their games on as many of their systems as possible and create an Xbox platform rather than just a console so to speak. But, saying that, I do agree with you that having games available only on PS5 gives a reason to upgrade and if you’re currently an One X owner and happy with it I personally don’t see much reason - purely in terms of access to NG games - to upgrade to the Series X (it makes less sense to upgrade to Lockhart if that comes to fruition too) for awhile as everything will be available on your One X, PC and One S. Unless you’re like many of us on here who have got to have the new bit of kit, graphical showcase etc. day 1 which I can obviously understand.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

Haven’t Sony also said their PS5 games will be playable on the PS4 for up to 2 years now too. Just listened to the Bombcast and it was in their news sections. Think that’s just how it’s going now. I agree it’s very disappointing that this is the case though. Sounds like we’ll have to rely on 3rd parties to bring the games that fully utilise the power of the new consoles. Which again is disappointing as 1st party studios always get loads more out of the consoles than 3rd party developers do so new console “wow” moments are going to be few and far between by sounds of it. 

Jason Schreier has said that ‘Sony will have PS5 only titles available at launch’ but that’s just inside info and nothing official. I’m sure there will be ports of stuff like GoW, GoT, Days Gone and TLOUP2 among others, all 3rd party games will be cross gen for the first year at least too. But it does seem Sony will have at least 1 PS5 only title at launch, but then if you can get all your Microsoft launch games included in game pass at launch will it matter? Honestly no idea if it well significantly affect sales of the SX or not initially, probably not.

18 minutes ago, Blakey said:

but then if you can get all your Microsoft launch games included in game pass at launch will it matter?

Not really. But like I say it’s still disappointing. & actually, if Forza 8 doesn’t look or perform much better than the One X version, then I’ll actually have no reason to upgrade at launch (unless there’s a big surprise). So that could actually put me off buying it for a while. 

For the record I will get both, I always get both because I love both company’s output. But if it was down to “What one will you get first?” and one has new games and one doesn’t.

However if both systems aren’t going to have new games that take advantage of what they can do then it would probably come down to a war of subscription services. 

But I will get both anyway because I love video games

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Horizon 2 as, if not a launch title, definitely in the launch window. Sold!

The only underwhelming Playstation launch for me was the PS4. PS1 and PS2 were amazing just because the jump in technology both times was so much greater than what I was playing the day before I had played those consoles it was like holy fuck. Even though the Dreamcast came first Sonic Adventure was the only game on it I loved so the PS2 was crazy.

I actually really liked Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man as well. For Motorstorm the first one was my favourite out of all the Motorstorm games they made, and Resistance was really fun. It had creative weapons and was a decent shooter, I think. Not Halo but I liked it a lot. 

PS4, though, crapped the bed and didn’t get going for a long time. First off 3rd parties was like “Consoles are over, this shit is dead”, so it was all cross gen stuff. And even Sony themselves seem surprised they had a PS4 and was like “Err...Everybody likes indie games, right?” even the hardware couldn’t wow which gave rise to two years of headlines about pixel counts.

In retrospect you could say these launches were underwhelming but I remember feeling pretty whelmed at least 3 times out of 4 (Not including PSP and Vita which were both garbage start to finish)

So I'm very outside the loop then cause I wasn't aware of this 'no real next gen games' thing, or that Sony's next gen line up could be like one game or whatever. Honestly I don't mind, it makes it much easier to sit back and put off that upgrade and get an idea of the capabilities of the systems rather than jumping right in.

It's not like any of these systems would have a BOTW in their launch lineup anyway. Also I wonder how quick that next FFVII part will come out, if that could be cross gen too