passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

• 3 weeks later...

PS5 logo ‘breaks Instagram image likes record for a games company’

Sony’s PlayStation 5 logo looks to be the most popular Instagram image of all-time from a video games company, according to analytics gathered by VGC.

Less than 48 hours after it was posted, the PS5 logo image has amassed almost five million likes and 136,000 comments, easily surpassing the second-placed image post, Fortnite’s AvengersEndgame crossover announcement from April 2019 (2.7 million likes).

The analysis includes what VGC understands to be the top 20 most popular video games and video games company accounts and does not include influencer profiles.

(Sitting at 5 million for those wondering). And yes I know it doesn’t matter at all but news is news.

I can't see Microsoft doing anything but coming out guns blazing (although their guns were more water pistols for me last year) at E3 2020. I still think its a bit cringy that they're 'so Pro-E3' but barely rent any space on the show floor (just for Mixer) and instead use their own Theatre in Downtown LA to showcase their games off to the Public.

It's disappointing Sony won't be at E3 this year, every PlayStation has been shown/announced there since the original. I guess they'll have a PS Meeting sometime in Feb/March and a PSX-style event a few weeks before E3 to show off the console, release date, price etc. But who knows. These are exciting times!

I have to say I was gagging for Next Gen in 2013 as I felt like the power of the Last Gen machines had long stagnated games' possibilities but at the moment I really wouldn't mind if this Gen went on another 3 years or so, I feel like it only really hit its stride since 2015. 

Also @one-armed dwarf I've never played more than 30 minutes of OG FFVII but watching that get unveiled live (along with TLG and Shenmue 3) was definitely my favourite E3 moment ever. It's always worth booking the day after off work to stay up - well it has been in previous years - less so recently.

17 minutes ago, Nag said:

I also can't see E3 itself riding this out for too much longer.

It's probably just a question of how much money it still makes. They're open to the general public now which means they can put Ninja in a glass cage and let him play Fortnite for four days and people will buy tickets to go. It might lose its impact (and I'd argue it already has to some degree) but I doubt it will vanish anytime soon.

I'm also not too bothered by Sony giving it a miss. Their conferences were always in the middle of the night for us Europeans anyway and archives aren't as fancy as the real, live thing.

All I was saying @Nag is it's a little hypocritical for Microsoft to say they'll always support E3 and stuff publicly but in reality they only barely support it and just use its name to promote their conference/showcase of products. Maybe cringy was the wrong word to be honest, I do find a lot of what Phil tweets out on Twitter rather cringy though.

They run a show that's largely E3 Adjacent, they're not really at E3 except paying for a small Mixer booth on the show floor and running everything else from their own Venue down the road in Downtown LA. There's nothing wrong with that and I definitely think it makes business sense to do so but at the same time if you're so Pro E3 put your money where your mouth is and put a huge Xbox booth on the show floor itself. 

Nintendo are the only one of the 'Big 3' left that actually properly support E3 now which is a shame. I'm glad Xbox is still there (albeit adjacent) but it isn't what it once was unfortunately, and that's down to Publishers like EA etc. not just Sony. I've always loved E3 and always wanted to go but it does seem like its on its last legs at the moment. Leaking Journalists' details and then not really apologising for it last year probably didn't exactly help the situation either really.

Gamescom has always been a consumer expo whereas E3 was the big thing for insiders (until recently at least). I guess that explains why one of them is overrun with people while the other isn't.

That said I don't think there's a direct correlation between the amount of people reached and the amount of people going to the expo. I usually read about most Gamescom announcements when I'm back home because there's so much to process while you're there that you're missing as much as you're seeing.