passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Seems like a VR stream. Cool stuff

I think Sony will be doing lots of VR hybrid games

The other zombie VR game after Resident Evil btw, I made a thread about the original version of it here

It's kinda cool but I couldn't get into it the way I liked due to the 'run' based nature of it. But it's basically like a sort of immersive sim zombie game with hoarding/crafting mechanics, and spooky stealth. I mainly stopped playing it cause of how bad the elevated black levels are on Quest, kind of kills the spooky a bit

Not a bad show. Nothing really excited me proper but most of it looks good and stuff I wanted to play.

I wonder what Spider-Man will be like on PC. They’ll be fun fan mod costumes and stuff I’m sure but in terms of features, it’ll have to be a really big improvement for me to buy it again. I already completed that game 5 times 

I thought it was a good show. I also don't mind that we're still getting last gen ports, the whole benefit of the last gen consoles being built around pc architecture was that it meant ports would be easier, I'm not sure they're holding back many games currently, on the PlayStation side at least

How can they not be holding games back? One of them biggest complaints even at launch was how underpowered the One & PS4 were. It was a big talking point. Now they’re ok & aren’t really effecting new games? Don’t get it. 

15 hours ago, mfnick said:

How can they not be holding games back? One of them biggest complaints even at launch was how underpowered the One & PS4 were. It was a big talking point. Now they’re ok & aren’t really effecting new games? Don’t get it. 

I can't think of 5 games they've held back. Cyberpunk is one, because of the scope of the city, but that seems to be it. Drop the resolution and the framerate and most games can be scaled down. We've had Ratchet with the NVMe use, not much else has bothered outside of loading, because everything else would then be PS5 exclusive (no PC, no Xbox)

Theoretically, sure, but that scope of game just isn't getting made. God of War is just more God of War, Forza was more Forza, and I did excluse the Xbox One tbf, that does seem a bit too weak

The issue with those machines at launch I think was they had underwhelming resolution/fps.

Technically though if a game is built to scale well the resolution/fps on those old systems will be just as underwhelming as it ever was. Cyberpunk is the exception I think, it needs a good CPU and never should have been released on those systems. Most people's impressions of that game are based on a version that should never have been released.

Cross gen is still happening because there simply isn't a large enough install base for the new systems cause of how difficult they are to get a hold of, and apparently that's still going to be the case for a while. If anything is holding stuff back it's more likely that.

When it comes to proper next gen stuff tho, I hope IO drop the old systems when they do their James Bond game and really go to town with the new hardware. Want something as impressive as that Paris fashion show level but to a next gen standard.

34 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Cross gen is still happening because there simply isn't a large enough install base for the new systems cause of how difficult they are to get a hold of, and apparently that's still going to be the case for a while. If anything is holding stuff back it's more likely that.

But PS5 and XS consoles are selling faster than previous gen consoles even with supply constraints. Yet in every other gen the cross stuff had basically ended well before this point. & we’re looking at another year at least on top of the 1 and half(!) years they’ve been out already. That’s basically 3 years of cross gen games, it’s half of consoles lifespan dedicated to creating games that don’t fully utilise them. That’s mental! The sales thing is bullshit really, it’s never stopped them before. 

Imagine any other gen if you bought a console 3 years later and it had hardly any games youve not already played in mostly the same capacity. It’s very disappointing. 

11 minutes ago, mfnick said:

But PS5 and XS consoles are selling faster than previous gen consoles even with supply constraints. Yet in every other gen the cross stuff had basically ended well before this point. & we’re looking at another year at least on top of the 1 and half(!) years they’ve been out already. That’s basically 3 years of cross gen games, it’s half of consoles lifespan dedicated to creating games that don’t fully utilise them. That’s mental! The sales thing is bullshit really, it’s never stopped them before. 

Imagine any other gen if you bought a console 3 years later and it had hardly any games youve not already played in mostly the same capacity. It’s very disappointing. 

The sales thing isn't bullshit when games are more expensive to build than ever. They can't sell to a niche customer base of XSX/PS5/RTX owners. Like look at the sales figures of Elden Ring compared to something like Ratchet and Clank, it's just a huge market to leave behind.

My (uneducated) take is even if these systems are the 'fastest selling' doesn't necessarily indicate that they are selling as well as the system owners want them to, nor are they projected to reach as large an install base as they would want either. They probably want their base to grow

We actually don't need to speculate on this too much tbh, this is Sony themselves saying that they aren't hitting projections and the outlook remains very bearish (Intel I think are saying it will continue into 2024)

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-misses-ps5-sales-target-as-stock-struggles-continue

DF have some loosely related thoughts on the whole thing here also

But anyway, now you know how I feel as a VR person. I want more games but there's got to be more motherfuckers out there buying the headsets for it to happen.  😠

Yeah, they're selling the units they produce 'fast' but there's still not enough in homes.  No one ideally wants this.

It's just getting more apparent that the technology is moving faster and getting too expensive to feasibly make games with.  Dev teams need to be so big to make high end games, there needs to be so much time and there already crunched to hell.  Games aren't made in a vacuum away from the current reality of a lack of physical components and manpower.

Unreal 5 isn't being used yet and the biggest dev friendly thing it does is having some procedural generation and sharable assets so maybe once that's established we'll get new, high end games at a faster rate 

Wonder if in future (with console titles) we'll just end up with things being released in extended 'beta' - so they can generate income whilst continuing to develop/finish the game. Think some PC titles have been doing that already - maybe that would have been a better release model for Cyberpunk too ?

Perhaps in someway it's been like that for a while (given release issues & big patches with some games) just never labelled as such for console releases.

• 1 month later...

Gamepass expirations pale in comparison to this nonsense

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-07-07-sony-removing-purchased-studio-canal-content-from-playstation-libraries

Sony removing movies that people bought from them, no refunds, due to 'evolving agreements with license holders'.

Might not be legal tho. Amazon did this with me before, took away all my digital movies after I moved, some of which I'd bought literally weeks before. Managed to get them to refund all my money tho, so a sort of win there.

yarr 🏴‍☠️

Clearly the big difference in this situation is that they're not just removing digital content, but also deleting it from the purchasers libraries (with no obvious refund) - the former does happen occasionally, the latter does not.

I assume the T&C's allow them to do this, but whoever reads those.