passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

2 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

think it's a wear and tear thing. You think about how a controller works.

To a point yes. But also the fact they’re failing so soon says to me it’s a cheap component issue not fit for purpose. Taken from Eurogamer;

According to iFixit, the DualSense as well as the DualShock 4, the Xbox One and Xbox One Elite controllers all use off the shelf joystick hardware "with a long history of predictable, preventable issues".

Hardware makers know exactly how much punishment these controllers will receive. Especially the analogue stick, so for them to be cheaping out so much on that part is pathetic. The better potentiometers will cost pennies extra, same as the better springs for the fancy triggers  - scaled up obviously that ends up being a lot but not substantial enough to fuck your customers over. You just know they’re well aware of this being a issue they can easily resolve too but they’re betting on the fact people will just give them a pass and keep buying new controllers at £50 a pop. Or £70 if you’re particularly scummy like Nintendo. They shouldn’t get a pass for this at all. They should last at least 5 years (approx lifespan of consoles) of decent usage. 

Either charge slightly more for the pad and use correct parts or remove the shitty mic or something to offset the extra cost. Pads should not be having stupid issues like this within 3-4 months. 

Luckily like I say I’ve not suffered this yet but it’s such a stupid worry to have and just because it hasn’t happened to me yet doesn’t mean it’s not fucking over a lot of other people. 

not that I don't agree with the general point being made, but I don't remember any of those controllers being littered with the drift issue. I had problems with a PS4 pad, slightly different issue, and an old 360 pad used to drift. So, I don't entirely disagree with the argument that it's probably being amplified as an issue because of how common it is with the joy cons

If Nintendo lose the various court cases over it we might well see it disappear as an issue at the midpoint of the generation, assuming there's a console refresh or you replace your controller 

3 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

If Nintendo lose the various court cases over it we might well see it disappear as an issue at the midpoint of the generation, assuming there's a console refresh or you replace your controller 

I really hope this happens. 

They are making a PSVR2

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/#sf243317607

Good news, now I expect that REVIII will definitely get a VR mode as well (probably after release in an update). Even if remains PS exclusive that's a cool thing I would be willing to pony up for if the implementation is solid (has to be motion controlled, no standard controller VR).

They say their controller will implement dualsense stuff so sounds like they're on the right path. Now IMO they way they should approach it is to make PSVR2 like a standalone platform like Quest 2, a sort of PSVita to the PS5 or something like that. But with the option to connect to PS5 like quest 2 does to PC

edit it's not wireless, missed opportunity. Still interested, but that's a real own goal. Guess they will fix that in the revision...

I’m not sure if I’d buy another, I loved my time with PSVR1 but it just ended up sat gathering dust after about a month or so. 

Also, if it doesn’t have HL: Alyx (long shot I know) I’m not interested, all I want a PCVR headset for is that really. Still think my best bet will be a Quest 2 or 3 with link cable. 

I'd say it's very likely it gets Alyx but who knows. I don't see why Valve would want to turn Half Life back into a PC exclusive series when orange box on consoles increased its appeal so massively.

The wireless aspect of Quest can't really be underestimated. Yea you trade some image quality if you go the pure wireless route with PCVR stuff like I have but I think graphics in VR are one of those things you don't notice as much. Especially if you're playing hectic games and getting all sweaty.

The killer competitive feature that Sony will have with their VR is the controllers I bet. If they do what the Index have and allow you to strap them and hold your palm open and 'feel' things in the environment with the dualsense stuff then it gets close to being the best device out there. Except for it not being wireless which is such an immense benefit to have

The thing with PSVR is that whole thing seemed based around seated controller based VR in its first iteration. Moving around in even small room scale is a cool thing especially as we're constantly getting locked into our houses all the time. My Quest is maybe the best gaming purchase I've made next to my gsync monitor.

Glad there's more news coming. This year looks a little quiet so far, so good to get Nintendo and Sony showing stuff 

I'm up for better VR too. Realistically I struggle to play much, I don't have the room for it really but I enjoy it, and the PS4 was a bit limited for it