passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

VentureBeat: Sony invests $250 million in Epic Games

Under the deal, the investment enables Sony and Epic to broaden their collaboration, with Sony’s portfolio of entertainment assets and technology and Epic’s social entertainment platform and digital ecosystem (think Fortnite’s increasing use as a social space or the Epic Games Store), to create unique experiences for consumers and creators. The closing of the investment is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals

Epic confirmed it will still be able to publish to other platforms. As noted, Sony is acquiring only a minority part of Epic Games, and it is not acquiring a controlling stake in the company.

I'm not sure Sony could afford a controlling stake in Epic could they? Between games and the engine being used in other games, film and TV, they must be pretty well off.

EDIT

Apparently, EPIC are worth an estimated $17 billion and Sony are worth just under $80 billion.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I'm not sure Sony could afford a controlling stake in Epic could they? Between games and the engine being used in other games, film and TV, they must be pretty well off.

Yeah, it'd be very unlikely. 

4 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

That and Tencent already owns a share of 40% and I doubt Epic would like to lose control of themselves.

I've just yesterday read EDGE's piece on UE5 and it seems Sony and Epic started talking about PS5 and the engine quite early on. Weird how the positions have shifted, Epic and Microsoft were best buddies during the 360 era and the UE3 was a nightmare on PS3.