passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

For the record I will get both, I always get both because I love both company’s output. But if it was down to “What one will you get first?” and one has new games and one doesn’t.

However if both systems aren’t going to have new games that take advantage of what they can do then it would probably come down to a war of subscription services. 

But I will get both anyway because I love video games

The only underwhelming Playstation launch for me was the PS4. PS1 and PS2 were amazing just because the jump in technology both times was so much greater than what I was playing the day before I had played those consoles it was like holy fuck. Even though the Dreamcast came first Sonic Adventure was the only game on it I loved so the PS2 was crazy.

I actually really liked Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man as well. For Motorstorm the first one was my favourite out of all the Motorstorm games they made, and Resistance was really fun. It had creative weapons and was a decent shooter, I think. Not Halo but I liked it a lot. 

PS4, though, crapped the bed and didn’t get going for a long time. First off 3rd parties was like “Consoles are over, this shit is dead”, so it was all cross gen stuff. And even Sony themselves seem surprised they had a PS4 and was like “Err...Everybody likes indie games, right?” even the hardware couldn’t wow which gave rise to two years of headlines about pixel counts.

In retrospect you could say these launches were underwhelming but I remember feeling pretty whelmed at least 3 times out of 4 (Not including PSP and Vita which were both garbage start to finish)

So I'm very outside the loop then cause I wasn't aware of this 'no real next gen games' thing, or that Sony's next gen line up could be like one game or whatever. Honestly I don't mind, it makes it much easier to sit back and put off that upgrade and get an idea of the capabilities of the systems rather than jumping right in.

It's not like any of these systems would have a BOTW in their launch lineup anyway. Also I wonder how quick that next FFVII part will come out, if that could be cross gen too

13 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

When you look at the launch titles, PS1-4 , it's all been a bit underwhelming:

https://www.ps4home.com/playstation-launch-titles-compared-ps1-ps2-ps3-ps4-which-sony-console-wins-in-this-area/

I think most console launches have been pretty bad overall aside from Nintendo really, I guess the OG Xbox launch was pretty great with PGR and Halo too.

13 hours ago, Nag said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Horizon 2 as, if not a launch title, definitely in the launch window. Sold!

Yeah I can definitely see this being possible. They wrapped the Horizon DLC in November 2017 so they potentially could've had a solid 2 years of development under their belts at the moment and almost 3 years by the time October/November rolls around. The original game took 5 years but as they've got the engine and all the tools built a sequel could take significantly less time to develop than the first. There was that slip from actress Janina Gavankar a few months ago that spilled the beans there was a sequel in development as well.

13 hours ago, Maf said:

The only underwhelming Playstation launch for me was the PS4. PS1 and PS2 were amazing just because the jump in technology both times was so much greater than what I was playing the day before I had played those consoles it was like holy fuck. Even though the Dreamcast came first Sonic Adventure was the only game on it I loved so the PS2 was crazy.

I actually really liked Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man as well. For Motorstorm the first one was my favourite out of all the Motorstorm games they made, and Resistance was really fun. It had creative weapons and was a decent shooter, I think. Not Halo but I liked it a lot. 

PS4, though, crapped the bed and didn’t get going for a long time. First off 3rd parties was like “Consoles are over, this shit is dead”, so it was all cross gen stuff. And even Sony themselves seem surprised they had a PS4 and was like “Err...Everybody likes indie games, right?” even the hardware couldn’t wow which gave rise to two years of headlines about pixel counts.

In retrospect you could say these launches were underwhelming but I remember feeling pretty whelmed at least 3 times out of 4 (Not including PSP and Vita which were both garbage start to finish)

Yeah the PS4 didn't have a lot of great AAA 1P games at launch that's for sure, it was just Knack and Killzone: SF followed by inFAMOUS 3 in February/March the following year. All those didn't exactly set the world on fire either. I don't think the PS3 was great either though really, launched 16 months (?) after the 360 in the UK and all they had to show was Resistance and Motorstorm with those godawful incredibly light SIXAXIS controllers. I never had a PS1 at launch but the PS2 was pretty great from my hazy memory.

Ps1 launch was really strong. Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Toshinden, Jumping Flash, Destruction Derby, DOOM in the December as well. That's are just a few that spring to mind. 

Wasn't the 360 launch line up ok as well? 

PS1 was the first and last console I've gotten (close to) at launch. I got my PS2 quite soon after launch I think. I remember Jak and Daxter being my tipping point to get one. I was a fairly early adopter of the 360 as well, the rest I've let brew for at least a year.

9 hours ago, spatular said:

PS4 is the only Sony console I’ve had at launch, only good game I can remember near launch was resogun. Oh and the vita, can’t remember what was on that.

Wipeout and Uncharted? 

Seem to remember the Vita had a decent number of games at launch 

15 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Ps1 launch was really strong. Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Toshinden, Jumping Flash, Destruction Derby, DOOM in the December as well. That's are just a few that spring to mind. 

Wasn't the 360 launch line up ok as well? 

PS1 was the first and last console I've gotten (close to) at launch. I got my PS2 quite soon after launch I think. I remember Jak and Daxter being my tipping point to get one. I was a fairly early adopter of the 360 as well, the rest I've let brew for at least a year.

Yeah I'd forgotten about the PS1 launch line-up, I got one years after it was launched in 1999 or something like that. 

I only remembered Condemned: CO from 360's launch which was phenomenal (until I got a game breaking bug where it wouldn't allow me to beat the final boss) but having a google there was Quake 4 - which I remember playing - Kameo, FIFA 06, Amped 3,  CoD 2 (which was awesome), Perfect Dark Zero (which was trash), Ridge Racer 6, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, PGR3 and King Kong amongst others.

I think I've got every home console at launch since the Dreamcast up until the Wii U but I may be wrong. This Gen will be the first I only intend to buy 1 NG console - although I do plan on trading my One S in for a One X at some point.

I suppose the weird thing is - does it really matter ? And that's a bit of a yes & no answer - some consoles have a bunch of launch titles, others don't, some succeed others flounder, and the availability of launch software is just one of a number of contributory factors - another being launch price.

But rarely is launch software a clear demonstration of a consoles true power, which only comes a few years after launch - which is a round about way of saying that seldom do launch titles represent the best games on a platform (albeit as I type I have a nagging voice of some reminding me of the NS and BotW...)