passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

53 minutes ago, regemond said:

I thought that could be the case. PS2 would be enough to clinch it for me though. There are LOADS of games I'd like to go back to but I'm too lazy to find the ideal set up/root out the cables/find the controller for my PS2 Slim.

If they do this I just hope they do enough work to the emulator to sort the lag out for modern TVs. I bought Metal Slug Anthology and Marvel Vs SNK 2 PS2 games digitally on the PS4 and theyre almost unplayable. Especially Metal Slug. Stupidly didn’t research before buying, it’s a known issue with them. Just got over excited when I saw them on the store and immediately bought.

If they do sort it then having access to the entire PS2 library would be a huge bonus. I’d love to play SSX Tricky again plus many many others. 

5 hours ago, regemond said:

For once I haven't. I'm genuinely torn between the prospect of full BC for my ENTIRE PS library, and the awesomeness of Game Pass. I think if Sony don't go with full BC I'll end up going with Xbox at first, personally. Between their current BC prospect and the newer games that drop onto GP on a regular basis it just seems like a better sell for my needs at the minute. Who knows though - Sony could pull something phenomenal out of the bag...

Ah ok, that's interesting. I do think full BC is theoretically possible (if PS3 games were handled via a Software solution like Xbox do) but as @DANGERMAN says PS3 is probably unlikely to be included unless its streamed via PS Now. 

Yeah that's fair enough, Game Pass is a great proposition. What if Series X is more expensive than PS5 (say £80 more?), would Game Pass still come into the equation for you? I expect PS5 and Series X to be pretty similar on price from recent rumblings but I'm just what-iffing really. 

For me, I rarely use my home consoles nowadays. I think I've only really played Days Gone, CTR, R6 Siege and Death Stranding on my PS4 the past year (all of those I didn't finish either) and a handful of games on Xbox via Game Pass (mostly Dead by Daylight). I've not touched my PC at all since moving it to my flat in October either. It's my Switch that gets all the use because it's the only one I don't need the TV to use or have to go into a separate room to use. I even cancelled Game Pass the other day because inbetween big marquee games dropping it gives me choice anxiety and I just end up playing Dead by Daylight again as I don't want to start something new up and inevitably get 2-3 hours in before dropping it.

So the PS5 will very much be a luxury purchase, one that I may not even use much but as with all launch console purchases really it's one for the future really, as I'll be using it for the next 6-8 years of gaming. I want to have one when all those killer PS Exclusives start dropping next gen whereas I've got my PC and One S for all the Xbox Exclusives already (via resubbing to Game Pass), depending how well Series X games scale down I may sell my One S and get a One X at some point too as that will play all Series X games for the first 2 years at least and won't be significantly less powerful than the Series X 'Lockhart' (if that comes to fruition).

Seems to be like you'd be better served by selling your One S and getting a 3XXX series card, which will more than shape up to whatever the next Xbox has going on.

But who knows about any of that stuff. Apparently Sony are even moving PS exclusives to PC now. The only PS exclusive I really want to play is the next GoW so until that's a thing I will hold off I think.

54 minutes ago, Blakey said:

What if Series X is more expensive than PS5 (say £80 more?), would Game Pass still come into the equation for you? I expect PS5 and Series X to be pretty similar on price from recent rumblings but I'm just what-iffing really. 

Long run I'd say Series X would still do me better. I have no doubt I'll end up with both at some point, but the cost would eventually be equalled by the fact I wouldn't be buying as many games on Xbox as I would on PS4. That's an awesome point, though - I just assumed both would be £400-450-ish. Never factored price differences into account.

Would still end up with the Xbox due to the fact I’d save a lot more than say £80 over the course of that year due to Game pass. But it still mainly comes down to the fact MS have  a killer app for me no matter what in the form of Forza. So I’m not the “normal” customer anyway as most people aren’t really bothered about that but for me it’s the game.  

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Seems to be like you'd be better served by selling your One S and getting a 3XXX series card, which will more than shape up to whatever the next Xbox has going on.

But who knows about any of that stuff. Apparently Sony are even moving PS exclusives to PC now. The only PS exclusive I really want to play is the next GoW so until that's a thing I will hold off I think.

You might be right but I feel like I might need to upgrade my CPU and possibly RAM as well, I'd also want to go 4K so would need a Monitor to go along with it. All of those aren't cheap and a a PS5 will be cheaper I'd imagine, I'm still paying off my 2060 until August :( I believe a load of PS Exclusives are already on PC via PS Now but yeah all rumours still apart from DS coming at some point this year.

Yeah that's fair enough @regemond @mfnick ?

Best talk to @spatular before you commit to anything on the CPU side of things. Upgrading a GPU is so easy, the slots never seem to change. CPU is such a minefield of sockets, compatible RAM and motherboard, number of cores, does it have hyperthreading or whatever. Do I need to think about concurrency* or better single core speed?

*Which is the property the CPU has to perform tasks in parallel. A 9700k (my cpu) has 8 cores and 8 threads. AMD's 3600x has 8 cores and 16 threads. An application that takes advantage of all those threads will mean that AMD will make toast of the intel one and AMD are all about lots of cores, which seems to becoming more important now. But the software needs to be written with it in mind.

See PC gaming actually fucking sucks because you never stop thinking about this rubbish, I just forgot.

Ha, yeah i'd recommend AMD but don't think Blakey's too keen on them :) and yeah you're right that stuff is a hastle, i only know a bit about it because i built a new pc last year, hopefully the new one lasts as long as the old one and i won't need to know anything about it for the next 8 years.

Spoiler

for AMD it's:

3600 - 6 cores/12 threads

3700x - 8/16

3900x - 12/24

3950x - 16/32

they also have the older 2700 - 8/16 - which are great value

intel also have the i9 9900something? which is 8/16

I’m likely not gonna do anything on that front @one-armed dwarf as I might need a new MoBo for a new CPU anyway and I don’t think I can be arsed with all that hassle. My CPU right now is a 4790k so I assume I’d need another quad core with hyper threading for it to be compatible with my MoBo but who knows.

As amazing as GP is and Sony need to substantially step up their game the fact that the new Xbox won’t have any new games is a massive blow. And they did it to themselves is the funny thing.

Even though launch line ups tend to be pretty underwhelming with a new console I’m looking for new games and if Sony has that I see myself going that way first.

The other thing is I’ll end up with both as always but if I had to just pick one of the bat, it’ll be the one that has new games on it

I feel like I’m the only one who ever says this and no one else seems to care but exclusives are the most important thing a console has. A great subscription service I think has just proven that it’s also the new necessary second but you got no games then you got no pitch, really. 

It’s like a gun with no bullets

Exclusive or new to the Series X, then. Point being part of what makes me want to spend big money on new hardware is because it should do what the old hardware can’t. If it’s still playing the same games that’s not really good enough. 

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Exclusive or new to the Series X, then. Point being part of what makes me want to spend big money on new hardware is because it should do what the old hardware can’t. If it’s still playing the same games that’s not really good enough. 

Haven’t Sony also said their PS5 games will be playable on the PS4 for up to 2 years now too. Just listened to the Bombcast and it was in their news sections. Think that’s just how it’s going now. I agree it’s very disappointing that this is the case though. Sounds like we’ll have to rely on 3rd parties to bring the games that fully utilise the power of the new consoles. Which again is disappointing as 1st party studios always get loads more out of the consoles than 3rd party developers do so new console “wow” moments are going to be few and far between by sounds of it. 

18 minutes ago, Nag said:

I think you may have misheard that... it definitely goes against all I've seen on the internet so far anyway.

Maybe, I’ve googled it and can’t find that information. I’m sure that’s what they said though... 

Edit - found it. It’s about 1:08:20 in the podcast (premium). There is a slight difference, he says “many of the games launched on the ps5 will also be available to play on the predecessor machine”. So there is a difference in wording there. Could just mean 3rd party games but as Brad points out it’s from a playstation earnings report so could assume its mainly about their games. Or maybe it just means games that are already deep in development that are launching on PS5 but a lot of development has already been finished in the PS4 so they can easily port down. Maybe something like Ghosts of Tsushima? 

Re. last vs new gen console releases

Don't we always have a cross over period, with many titles coming out across old & new gen for 12-18 mths?

Been even more prevalent this gen with recent remasters (GTA V, TLoU, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, etc) too, and wonder if it's not just down to a general reduction in AAA releases compared to the 360/PS3 gen.

Last couple of gen’s, yes. But that was usually 3rd party titles or a remaster. You’d still usually have a couple of exclusives that look quite a bit better than what came before during the launch period. Sure, there will still be some

impressive looking stuff still but there’s no doubt they’ll be held back a bit to ensure previous gen compatibility which is very disappointing IMO. 

6 hours ago, Maf said:

As amazing as GP is and Sony need to substantially step up their game the fact that the new Xbox won’t have any new games is a massive blow. And they did it to themselves is the funny thing.

Even though launch line ups tend to be pretty underwhelming with a new console I’m looking for new games and if Sony has that I see myself going that way first.

The other thing is I’ll end up with both as always but if I had to just pick one of the bat, it’ll be the one that has new games on it

I feel like I’m the only one who ever says this and no one else seems to care but exclusives are the most important thing a console has. A great subscription service I think has just proven that it’s also the new necessary second but you got no games then you got no pitch, really. 

It’s like a gun with no bullets

I do get where you’re coming from but it’s been Microsoft’s game plan for awhile now to put their games on as many of their systems as possible and create an Xbox platform rather than just a console so to speak. But, saying that, I do agree with you that having games available only on PS5 gives a reason to upgrade and if you’re currently an One X owner and happy with it I personally don’t see much reason - purely in terms of access to NG games - to upgrade to the Series X (it makes less sense to upgrade to Lockhart if that comes to fruition too) for awhile as everything will be available on your One X, PC and One S. Unless you’re like many of us on here who have got to have the new bit of kit, graphical showcase etc. day 1 which I can obviously understand.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

Haven’t Sony also said their PS5 games will be playable on the PS4 for up to 2 years now too. Just listened to the Bombcast and it was in their news sections. Think that’s just how it’s going now. I agree it’s very disappointing that this is the case though. Sounds like we’ll have to rely on 3rd parties to bring the games that fully utilise the power of the new consoles. Which again is disappointing as 1st party studios always get loads more out of the consoles than 3rd party developers do so new console “wow” moments are going to be few and far between by sounds of it. 

Jason Schreier has said that ‘Sony will have PS5 only titles available at launch’ but that’s just inside info and nothing official. I’m sure there will be ports of stuff like GoW, GoT, Days Gone and TLOUP2 among others, all 3rd party games will be cross gen for the first year at least too. But it does seem Sony will have at least 1 PS5 only title at launch, but then if you can get all your Microsoft launch games included in game pass at launch will it matter? Honestly no idea if it well significantly affect sales of the SX or not initially, probably not.

18 minutes ago, Blakey said:

but then if you can get all your Microsoft launch games included in game pass at launch will it matter?

Not really. But like I say it’s still disappointing. & actually, if Forza 8 doesn’t look or perform much better than the One X version, then I’ll actually have no reason to upgrade at launch (unless there’s a big surprise). So that could actually put me off buying it for a while.