passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

13 hours ago, Nag said:

Apparently David Jaffe has come out on Twitter saying that the reveal of PS5 is less than 4 weeks away, calling it "the worst kept secret in gaming right now"

A February reveal looking more than likely, just like PS4.

Definitely sounds plausible. Fingers crossed this turns out to be true.

PCGamesN: The Xbox Series X budget PCIe 4.0 SSD could be half the speed of the PS5

The new Microsoft Xbox Series X console, and the new Sony PlayStation 5, are going to be the first wee gaming boxes to ship with solid state drives as their main storage device. That could well be a literal game-changer for the next-gen consoles, and potentially a nightmare of weak-source PC ports.

But despite reports that the PS5 is going to have an SSD with “raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs” it looks like the prototype Xbox Series X consoles will have very much last-gen SSD speeds.

A LinkedIn post from a former Phison employee has detailed the SSD controller that was installed into the Xbox Scarlett, and it’s a chip that only supports sequential read/write speeds equivalent to a standard PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive.

The Phison PS5019-E19T is a budget SSD controller that’s been designed specifically to connect over the PCIe 4.0 interface, doesn’t use a DRAM cache chip, and because it’s essentially been based on a PCIe 3.0 controller doesn’t have the performance we’d expect from a purestrain PCIe 4.0 device.

The post was surface on Twitter (via Sweclockers) and confirms that there will be a speedy little PCIe-attached SSD in the new Microsoft Xbox console. But if Sony thinks it’s going to have something beyond what most PC users can jam into the machines, it looks as though Microsoft is being a little more restrained about what it’s putting in its next-gen game box.

Phison itself details the PS5019-E19T as having peak sequential read/write speeds of 3,700MB/s and 3,000MB/s respectively, which isn’t far off the performance of the super-affordable Addlink S70 drive topping our list of the best SSDs for gaming. That’s a resolutely PCIe 3.0 SSD with rated read/write performance of 3,400MB/s and 3,000MB/s and uses a much older Phison PS5102-E12 contoller.

It does need to be stated that this is just the controller that’s been dropped into the Xbox Scarlett prototype box and isn’t necessarily the PCIe 4.0 controller that Microsoft will use in the final retail units. That said, dev kits are usually over-specced compared to their consumer unit cousins.

Microsoft may still drop a speedier controller into the mix, but realistically when you compare it to any console in existence today even the budget Phison controller will deliver storage performance exponentially faster than anything currently available. Just not compared to the PC, obvs.

Or potentially the PS5 which looks like it will be getting a Samsung SSD and controller. And we know how fast Samsung’s new PCIe 4.0 drives will be with the Samsung 980 Pro SSD getting outed at CES with almost twice the rated sequential performance of the Phison controller.

That could be where the differentiation between the two next-gen consoles lies. With both running similar AMD technologies inside them it looks like Microsoft is aiming for a faster GPU and Sony a speedier SSD.

In other news… a few pics of the Xbox Series X prototype have been doing the rounds, and it looks like there might just be an internal PSU in the Microsoft console. There’s a two-pin power connector on there which looks a lot like a standard power plug, which would indicate there’s not going to be a power brick for the Series X.

Which also means there’s going to be a lot more heat generated inside that black tower aside from the higher-power CPU and GPU combination. There’s not a lot of venting on the rear of the machine so it looks like the main components are going to have to exhaust hot air out the top of the chassis.

We’re already placing bets on the number of Xbox Series X machines that overheat simply because someone has left a pile of game boxes on top of the vents.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully no more than £350 for a PS5 although that’s looking unlikely, I’ve no interest in Series X so £0.

Brexit fucking the £ isn’t gonna help either, we could end up paying way more than the Americans. I know we usually do anyway but the difference could be astronomical this time around.

I’ll pay up to £450 for a Series X. Although I may stretch to £500 if there’s some great games at launch. The fact my old pads will work and Game Pass meaning I don’t also have to shell out £60+ on the new Forza 8 & such means I’ve got more money to buy the actual console. Previously itd cost about £500 for a new console anyway at launch.  £350 for the box, then another £50 on a 2nd pad + usually £120 on a couple of games + maybe some download/indie games usually ends up meaning Id spend that. Whereas that’s not going to be a issue now thanks to Games Pass and BC including hardware. 

I can only afford one at launch so that’ll be my option and no doubt get a PS5 the following year after a bit of a price cut. Or maybe even just wait for the PS5 pro before getting that. 

On 16/02/2020 at 12:53, mfnick said:

I’ll pay up to £450 for a Series X. Although I may stretch to £500 if there’s some great games at launch. The fact my old pads will work and Game Pass meaning I don’t also have to shell out £60+ on the new Forza 8 & such means I’ve got more money to buy the actual console. Previously itd cost about £500 for a new console anyway at launch.  £350 for the box, then another £50 on a 2nd pad + usually £120 on a couple of games + maybe some download/indie games usually ends up meaning Id spend that. Whereas that’s not going to be a issue now thanks to Games Pass and BC including hardware. 

I can only afford one at launch so that’ll be my option and no doubt get a PS5 the following year after a bit of a price cut. Or maybe even just wait for the PS5 pro before getting that. 

I'd pay pretty much the same for a PS5 but I still hope it's sub £400. Also your old pads will work with the PS5 too and at launch PS Now could be almost as good as Game Pass - they've already added the ability to download some games as well as Stream but granted it's nowhere near as good as Game Pass at this point. Still, if Sony want to compete properly on this front for Next Gen they need to up their game when it comes to PS Now and make it every bit as good as Game Pass and I don't see why that wouldn't be one of their big pillars for PS5.

I get what you're trying to say but the XBOne was £430 at launch, PS4 was £350. Also, big third party games will not be available on Game Pass day 1 so you may still have to shell out for some games, a Forza Horizon game would be a more enticing prospect for me as FM does nothing for me anymore, I get you're a big racing guy though so I see why that appeals to you.

Just playing devil's advocate really. I know most folks have already made up their minds about which NG console (if any) they'll be getting at the end of the year, my only point is that we don't know what Sony will come swinging out the gate with just yet whereas with Microsoft the picture is clearer at this point. 

PSNow has definitely improved but like you say it’s still not in the same league as Game Pass yet. If they start bringing all their 1st party games straight to it at release like MS do then it’s game over as far as I’m concerned, I’d be all over the Playstation instead. But I don’t think there’s any chance of that happening unless their sales are terrible in comparison. Saying all that I don’t think I can ignore Forza Motorsport anyway (which I personally prefer to Horizon). It’d take a new God of War and a new traditional style Gran Turismo to make me actually change which I get at launch. Apart from that I don’t think there’s anything Sony can to change my mind. 

I’m not expecting many, if any 3rd party games on there but I don’t think I really need any. As long as FM8 is and maybe a indie game or too that’ll do me. Im happy to buy a game a couple months later. But the point is I don’t have to at launch. And never know, MS might make a big push at launch to get more games on there to entice people. 

I’m definitely excited about the PS5 though because for the most part Sony’s exclusives this gen have been fucking incredible and varied. 

Have Sony confirmed if the PS5 is definitely BC with the PS4 yet too? Because that’s a huge deal to me if not. More so than ever due to how many digital games I’ve bought (mostly indie/small games) and never got around to playing. Not like I can just sell them on. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Have Sony confirmed if the PS5 is definitely BC with the PS4 yet too? Because that’s a huge deal to me if not. More so than ever due to how many digital games I’ve bought (mostly indie/small games) and never got around to playing. Not like I can just sell them on. 

Yeah Sony have confirmed BC with PS4 games for PS5.

15 hours ago, Blakey said:

I know most folks have already made up their minds about which NG console (if any) they'll be getting at the end of the year

For once I haven't. I'm genuinely torn between the prospect of full BC for my ENTIRE PS library, and the awesomeness of Game Pass. I think if Sony don't go with full BC I'll end up going with Xbox at first, personally. Between their current BC prospect and the newer games that drop onto GP on a regular basis it just seems like a better sell for my needs at the minute. Who knows though - Sony could pull something phenomenal out of the bag...