passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

42 minutes ago, Fragpuss said:

But you can't buy it without the new camera included (to the best of my knowledge)

ah, you're probably right with the packs they have now, but when they first came out you could get them without the camera. i don't have the new version camera anyway.

Honestly if the next Xbox is BC and Gamepass carries directly over from the One with the same offerings then that will be my console of choice to kick off with. Because then I’ll at least still have stuff to play after the initial let down of the inevitable bad launch line up is done. 

Sony playstation has been touting rumours of ps5 being BC towards ps1, 2, and 4 (I've not heard anything about ps3 BC). Honestly I would expect Sony to include at least some sort of BC at this point.

Look at you fools, talking about backwards compatibility and your hopes and dreams for the future. I won't bite until I see a tech demo of something stupid. 

My hope is that they bring world famous mathmagician Arthur Benjamin out on stage. They show him a beach rendered on PS1 and ask him to count the grains of sand, he does it easily. They show a PS2 beach, same. PS3? Easy, he's counting grains of sand like a mad man. A beach rendered on the PS4 is shown and he frowns slightly before answering. The Sony mouthpiece smiles as a spotlight hits the new PS5. A beautiful beach appears on screen, Arthur Benjamin gasps slightly, he frowns, his nose starts to bleed before foam begins to form at the corners of his mouth, tremors, convulsions and finally. Death. The crowd cheers as the pre order price of £999 appears on screen and we all rush to place our order. 

I don't think PS5 will be compatible with PS1 & PS2 games, it won't have a CD drive. If it is then they'll be adding them to PS+ or the equivalent. 

I'm liking the sound of the controller 

Revealed in a PlayStation blog post, the console is (as you might have expected) officially called PlayStation 5. The blog also reveals that the console's controller will feature two key new innovations - haptic feedback (replacing the traditional rumble) and adaptive triggers. It will also feature USB C charging, a higher-capacity battery and is a little heavier than its predecessor (but still lighter than an Xbox One controller with batteries inside).

Wired got more detail from system architect Mark Cerny. Haptic feedback will come through "highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller", which offer more tactile responses than the DualShock 4's rumble motors currently can. Along with an improved speaker, Wired reports that a modified version of Astro Bot Rescue Mission offers realistic feelings for the surfaces the player-character runs across, with soggy mud and bouncy wooden bridges being communicated through the feeling of the controller.

Wired also played a version of GT Sport that used haptic feedback - a major change from the PS4 version of the game, which removed rumble altogether, because it was too tiring. Adaptive triggers can be programmed by developers to offer different levels of resistance, with higher tension for the likes of pulling a bow string than a machine gun trigger

16 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I don't think PS5 will be compatible with PS1 & PS2 games, it won't have a CD drive. If it is then they'll be adding them to PS+ or the equivalent. 

I'm liking the sound of the controller 

I like the sound of the controller but it will have a disc drive, they already announced it would. Which is good otherwise i and many oyhers wouldn't buy it

Same as Maf, the next Xbox will no doubt be my first purchase. Once they made their BC plans clear, during a time Sony were saying they don’t care at all about BC I started buying all multi platform games on Xbox since I know they’ll work next gen along with loads of my 360 games. Then Gamepass came along and now I don’t see any reason to buy the PS5 first at all, even if it’s full 100% BC unless they make PS Now comparable to Game Pass and put new 1st party games on it.

ill defo get a PS5 later though and still looking forward to it, let’s be honest their exclusives - apart from the racing genre - have been loads better and more frequent. I expect them to keep that up. 

Really like the sound of the new pad too. One of my favourite under appreciated features of the One pad is the rumble on the triggers. I think they’re great, make those even better and you’re onto a winner. Would like it if they swapped the D pad and Left stick around too on the next DualShock. 

Sadly I've never felt more apathetic than with the next gen thing - what the current gen (& NS) has demonstrated is that there's no real need for more power or fancy graphics if the bulk of the catalogue is to consist of remakes, retro titles and indie games.

1 hour ago, Fragpuss said:

I like the sound of the controller but it will have a disc drive, they already announced it would. Which is good otherwise i and many oyhers wouldn't buy it

It will have a disc drive but not a CD one. Bluray ones will read dvds but you need a different laser for cds 

19 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

It will have a disc drive but not a CD one. Bluray ones will read dvds but you need a different laser for cds 

Misread your original comment, my bad.

Ps2 games were on dvd though i think, so could potentially be BC for that

38 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

Sadly I've never felt more apathetic than with the next gen thing - what the current gen (& NS) has demonstrated is that there's no real need for more power or fancy graphics if the bulk of the catalogue is to consist of remakes, retro titles and indie games.

I do agree with this, I said when they were announcing these I’m not ready for another gen yet especially with these half step consoles. But I’ll still be there day 1 for either one of these. I do keep hearing about more and more games that are struggling frame rate wise on the base consoles especially so maybe we do need a new start for people to move on to.

I don’t know if this is sometimes more down to optimisation though and not putting in the effort to make them work properly on consoles, especially when you see stuff like Gears 5, Horizon 4 and Spider Man running and looking good as they do. Not sure why some inferior looking games perform far worse, unless they just have some specific systems in place which take up more performance than I realise. 

37 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Albeit the PS1 could play CDs, PS2 could play DVDs & PS1 games, PS3 (original release) could play PS3 and Blu-ray's & DVDs, PS4 can only play PS4 & Blu-ray's, whilst my Sony Blu-ray player can play CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. Is it the physical laser, or software conversion issue ?

9 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I do agree with this, I said when they were announcing these I’m not ready for another gen yet especially with these half step consoles. But I’ll still be there day 1 for either one of these. I do keep hearing about more and more games that are struggling frame rate wise on the base consoles especially so maybe we do need a new start for people to move on to.

I don’t know if this is sometimes more down to optimisation though and not putting in the effort to make them work properly on consoles, especially when you see stuff like Gears 5, Horizon 4 and Spider Man running and looking good as they do. Not sure why some inferior looking games perform far worse, unless they just have some specific systems in place which take up more performance than I realise. 

I'm not sure the industry knows what it wants to sell me anymore ?

Is it the online streaming model subscription (PS Now) or a games on demand subscription, or a shiny new console that the former (dependent on speed/lag) makes rather superfluous?

51 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Blu ray players can play CDs. PS4 just doesn't because I guess Sony thought it would be funny. 

I was in Day 1 before the PS5 was officially announced, but yeah reiterating my Day 1ness ?.

Don’t give a fuck about BC or anything like that, all I want is cutting edge quality AAA exclusives - of which Sony has excelled at the past Gen and a half - so it’s a no-brainer for me.

Never properly got on with the XBOne despite owning 2 - but Game Pass is admittedly excellent - nor many of Microsoft’s first party games so I’ll most likely be getting Scarlett at a later date if at all.