passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Cerny talks about some of the (presumably) PS5 components, although it's nothing especially hard to predict (an SSD as standard is a bit of a surprise I guess, but it's probably needed)

PS4 lead system architect Mark Cerny has shown off some of the internal components of the next-generation PlayStation - which he is currently not calling PS5 -  which will include a high-spec solid state drive and a GPU capable of supporting ray tracing.

In a meeting with Wired, Cerny explained that the console would definitely not be released in 2019, and demonstrated why this is a true next-generation machine, rather than a PS4 upgrade in the vein of the PS4 Pro.

Cerny explained that the console's CPU is a variant of the AMD Ryzen third generation, and that its GPU is a custom version of Radeon's Navi line. That GPU is capable of ray tracing, a high-performance imaging technique with some incredible results.

Cerny also showed off the power of the console's new solid state drive (SSD) with a practical demo. According to Wired, fast-travelling between locations in Insomniac's Spider-Man on a PS4 Pro took 15 seconds. Using a next-gen PlayStation devkit, the same action took 0.8 seconds.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/04/16/sony-reveals-next-gen-playstation-details

I think the 8k is just them future proofing. There's no way the PS5 is running games at 8k, but there's no reason it can't output an 8k signal. Like you said @Nag could just be video, presumably by the end of next generation Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, iPlayer etc will all be outputting at 8k

SSDs are coming down in price. I'm wondering if there's going to be means to have a 2nd one in there rather than a larger one. 1TB SSDs aren't crazy expensive, but anything larger than that is going to be. Who knows though, it's possible Sony feel like their download speeds will be enough, or that we'll all be streaming everything. I suppose we shouldn't see a massive spike in file sizes next gen, we're already dealing with 4k textures, 60gb file sizes, we're probably looking at the same for the first couple of years

I'd doubt a 1TB SSD. But I'd bet on it being easily added to or swapped. 8K is definitely for video format of some description. 

Price is what I need. Wonder if either are gonna try for launch £400+ again...having said that consoles these days come in different flavours. Choice is always good. Perhaps the wombo combo is pricier and the fisher price variant for the masses ?

Bah! ? Screw this guessing. I want it NOW damn you ?

Not far off got a Pro and X so going to be a very long time before I pay another £400+ for a console. Although if it is fully BC with PS4 (as it fucking should be!) then I could sell that to help pay for it... 

Feel a bit better about still buying games on PS4 now too knowing I can play them on the next one. I’d started buying almost 100% of the time on the Xbox because I was a lot more confident they’d include BC. Now I can buy more based on price and performance than worrying if my games will become almost useless when changing to next gen on one console. 

Probably. I wonder if something like London77Bus could generate, or other terrible events that could be squeezed into that format?

It's just asking for people to come up with the most horrendously offensive username that looks innocuous at first glance.

16 hours ago, Nag said:

Seems like it was the #MeToo movements fault why Trish got her arse covered up in Devil May Cry 5...

Oh no, boobs!

So that's why her dark hole was filled with light

Anyway about the SSD stuff, the main thing I noticed playing Witcher III on PC is I never got enough time to read the loading screen tooltips while on console you have enough time to read many times over. It's a very nice thing.

REVII is another one with a dramatic difference.

So I tried PlayStation Now again after remembering you can download games instead of stream them and that is true - for some games

I really wanted to play Sonic Unleashed and finally upload cool runs to YT (Not that  there aren’t loads of them already or mine would be extra good, but just for fun) but of course both Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations are both games that aren’t downloadable. And it turns out you can’t even capture footage of PS Now anyway

Auto Renewal off