passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

the new UK store is finally up and running properly. I like it, it looks nice and it runs way quicker than the old one. I did quite like how the old one used to display what was new as just a big list, this one things are partitioned away a bit more. Aside from that I'd say it was a definite improvement

I've also signed up for PS+ thanks to Spatular (a mate of his had a spare code). I was toying with signing up just because Hell Yeah! was free, which pretty much covers the cost of it (assuming I play through it all in the next few months and never want to go back). That, Double Dragon, and Motorstorm will definitely be getting played, and I've got the All Star Fighters beta to try which is really just for curiosities sake

it's £12 for 3 months or £40 for a year, and you get a bunch of stuff you'll never use like cloud storage, access to betas, demos you wouldn't ordinarily get. You also get Ed-baiting discounts and a selection of free games. These are either brand new download stuff like Double Dragon Neon and Hell Yeah! (I think both are supposed to be about £10) or slightly older full games like Borderlands and Resident Evil 5 (because their sequels are out) and sony stuff like Motorstorm Apocalypse and Infamous 2

So long as you "purchase" them they're tied to your account and you can download them whenever you want (even if they're removed from the specials list) so long as you have a PS+ account. I think if you let your PS+ account lapse then renew you get them all again too

It seems like a good deal imo, but it's got the Lovefilm problem of needing to be used to be worth it. If you buy Borderlands 2 for example and play it every night for 3 weeks, then you aren't getting use out of PS+

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-the-final-hack

Sony is waking up to a new PlayStation 3 security nightmare after a day in which a brand new, PSN-enabled custom firmware was released for hacked consoles, swiftly followed up by publication of the console's LV0 decryption keys - which some say blows the system wide open.

We've been here before of course. Over two years ago, the first piracy-enabling firmware and USB dongle combo - PSJailbreak was released, which exploited a weakness in the PS3's USB protocols, allowing for the system software to be patched in order to run copied software running from hard disk. This was followed up some time later by the release of tools from hacker group fail0verflow, which allowed users to encrypt files for the system in the same way that Sony does, allowing for a new wave of piracy. Geohot's public release of the "metldr" root key also added to the challenges facing Sony, resulting in a messy legal battle.

The firm's response - firmware 3.60 - plugged many of the holes, neatly working around the entire root key problem, and even with the release of the new custom firmware, any console running system software 3.60 or higher is effectively locked out. Only hacked consoles, or those still running 3.55 or lower can run the new code unless expensive, difficult-to-install hardware downgrade devices are utilised on older hardware.

Despite the effectiveness of firmware 3.60, PS3 has still had to contend with piracy issues, notably the JB2/TrueBlue dongle, but this hack still locked consoles to 3.55 and stopped compromised consoles gaining access to PSN - until recently at least, where the "passphrase" security protocol protecting PSN was leaked, giving hacked consoles full access to the service.

The release of the new custom firmware - and the LV0 decryption keys in particular - poses serious issues. While Sony will almost certainly change the PSN passphrase once again in the upcoming 4.30 update, the reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever. Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated (a 2006 launch PS3 can still update directly to the latest software). The release of the LV0 key allows for that to be achieved on PC, with the CoreOS and XMB files then re-encrypted using the existing 3.55 keys in order to be run on hacked consoles.

So just how did LV0 come to be released at all? The original hackers who first found the master key - calling themselves "The Three Tuskateers" - apparently sat on its discovery for some time. However, the information leaked and ended up being the means by which a new Chinese hacking outfit - dubbed "BlueDiskCFW" planned to charge for and release new custom firmware updates. To stop these people profiteering from their work, the "Muskateers" released the LV0 key and within 24 hours, a free CFW update was released.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn't have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day, only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now," a statement from the hacker group says.

I'm interested to see what these hacks can do once people get their heads around them.

I like it, it looks nice and it runs way quicker than the old one.

first page was really fast but digging down into the psn+ stuff to get hell yeah was (unbelievably) slower than the old store for me. hopefully it's just a one off or something because i can't believe it would be slower.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-01-sony-ad-compares-playstation-vita-to-a-woman-with-four-breasts

A new PlayStation Vita advert has compared the handheld games console to a woman with four breasts - two on her front, two on her back.

The French magazine ad is designed to highlight the touch-sensitive areas on the Vita's front and rear.

Text on the advert translates to: "Touch both sides. Twice the sensations."

The image does not include the woman's head - that's not important - just a flawlessly-skinned torso.

The image was first posted online by a Twitter user (via Kotaku) yesterday. The image has, so far, not appeared in the UK.

PlayStation Vita launched earlier this year in Europe to a muted response. Sales have been slow here and in Japan, far below that of Nintendo's 3DS. Sony UK boss Fergal Gara previously told Eurogamer that the company had plans to back Vita with strong marketing push in the run-up to the Christmas period.

Image in the link.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-28-arkham-city-limbo-vanquish-free-on-playstation-plus-next-month

December's PlayStation Plus offerings will include a generous sack of gaming presents in the run up to Christmas.

It all kicks off on 5th December with Batman: Arkham City, Limbo and Vanquish. The trio are completely free for Plus subscribers as part of Sony's Instant Game Collection offering.

The three will replace Crysis 2, Scott Pilgrim and Double Dragon Neon, Sony announced. You'll need to be a subscriber before 5th December to download these.

Later in the month Sony will add Big Sky Infinity and Knytt Underground for PS3 and Vita (12th and 21st December, respectively) and Mortal Kombat for Vita on 19th December.

PlayStation Plus subscribers will also get an exclusive demo of Devil May Cry, as well as other savings to be announced week by week.

That is some good shit.

• 1 month later...

This month's PS+ update:

PS3

Sleeping Dogs

F1 Race Stars

Quantum Conundrum

Vita

WipEout 2048

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Two quality Vita titles, right there. One I paid £35 for from HMV, and the other £30 on PSN. :facepalm:

Woah, thats amazing on the Vita front. So these game are FREE if youve got PS+ ?