passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Yeah, I guess so. Best to leave that one otherwise we'll be going round and round until the PS4 arrives.

Anyway.

http://spong.com/article/27032/Sony-CEO-Pre-Owned-Games-Great-for-Consumers

Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton - despite what his lawyers and bosse in Japan are now pointing out to him regarding PROFITS!!! - doesn't think that pre-owned video games are necessarily a bad thing.

Jack was expressing his *own* opinion on the state of the industry when speaking - apparently to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter who in turn explained to Bonus Round on the ever-analytical and critical GameTrailers site the following:

"Pachter explained that he had directly asked Tretton if the rumors were true. The exec apparently replied that he was “opposed to blocking used games”, stating that they were “great for consumers” and that it would be “anti-consumer” to block them."

Jack also, apparently told Michael that "this was just his view and that “Japan might think something different.”

Looks like the disc locked console from Sony wont be happening then, especially if that's his stance.

They now that locking out pre-owned basically stops a lot of people from buying their console. I'd be seriously surprised if any of the consoles did this, you know how ape shit people went with that 3DS game that had the saves locked up on it. The internet would probably implode if either of the big 3 said pre-owned would be done and dusted with.

http://spong.com/article/27044/Sony-Launching-BBC-Sport-App-for-PS3

Microsoft's not the only one to expand its on-demand video offering. Sony has announced today a brand new BBC Sport application, which will allow PS3 users to stream live sporting events for free.

According to the press release, the BBC Sport app will be launched "in time for Wimbledon 2012", and offer content that will be "above and beyond" what can already be found on your bog-standard Freeview tellybox. Viewers can choose from a number of events happening simultaneously - which will be a big boon to those wanting to catch up on the Olympics.

Petrol-heads will also like the fact that Formula One racing will be included in the BBC Sport app coverage. Sony is calling this "one of 2012's killer apps for home entertainment" - the company's category development manager for its BRAVIA TVs, which the app will also be made available for, said that it "will provide a substantial amount of additional sporting content that you can’t get through the current broadcasting model."

Now we have an even bigger reason not to go out during the Olympics - it'll all be on our PS3s

Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-sony-patents-method-to-interrupt-your-gaming-with-an-ad

Sony has patented an application that interrupts game playing to display an advertisement.

The patent, spotted by a user on NeoGAF, was filed in July 2011 by Sony Computer Entertainment America. It's called "Advertisement Scheme for use with interactive content".

Here's how it works: interactive content is suspended, an advertisement is displayed, then interactive content is resumed. Sony's patent images go into better detail, and are below.

First, game playing gradually slows down. You then get a warning that the game is about to stop. You then get the ad. Sony's example is: "BEST BRAND SODA. You've got to try it!" You then get a warning that the game is about to resume. The game resumes. There's mention of rewinding the game after the ad has run its course, too.

This latest patent is actually a continuation of a patent filed back in 2006, which shows Sony is at least still interested in the tech. But, as with all these patents, it remains to be seen whether ads interrupting gameplay will ever come to fruition.

Is it not bad enough that the XMB is packed with adverts as it is? If this happened on any system I'd boycott that motherfucker in an instant.

Thinking about it, didn't WipeoutHD have some sort of adverts added to it that people got pissed off with?

I'd never, ever, buy or even play a game that included this, no matter what it was. WipeOut HD had some adverts in the loading screens, and I think Deus Ex: HR did too, but that's not that bad, though still a bit jarring.

But interrupting play? That's just unacceptable.

They can't add this to a game you buy, they just can't so I guess it's perhaps considered for free-to-play games?

I'm not sure how that can be patented as it already happens on iOS games. Play a free version of certain games and you'll have an ad pop up for a bit after your turn and you have to wait before carrying on. It's fine with free-to-play but if that happened in a paid game (especially a full price one) then it's quite literally game over.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/900179-sony-to-announce-gaikai-collaboration-at-e3

Original story:

A partnership deal with a leading cloud gaming service could be Sony's major announcement at E3, according to rumours begun by website VG247.

The suggestion was made in a general preview of next month's E3 event, with the website referring to the rumour almost as if it was common knowledge - which may mean it was a secret told in confidence that they forgot hadn't yet been announced yet.

Here's the original story in context, along with some other equally believable comments about what Sony is likely to announce at its pre-E3 conference on June 4:

Sony’s first-party effort will revolve around at least two largely unknown core products and Vita. The two titles are likely to generate a great deal of excitement. Also expect Sony to attempt to play a strong 'Vita isn’t dead' card. Big core games on the small screen will be a focus for Sony this year, but, again, expect solidity rather than megatonnage. You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements.

Apart from the partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service, obviously.

The site later expanded on the comment with this only slightly longer news story:

VG247 has learned that Sony is to announce a cloud gaming deal with either Gaikai or OnLive at E3, apparently allowing streamed games on PlayStation hardware. Details are light, but the news expected to be announced in the Sony press conference on June 4.

Although both Gaikai and OnLive have said they're willing to work with any and all console manufacturers there's previously been no hint that a deal with Sony is imminent. There's no reason to think it couldn't happen though, the only question is what games would be available via the cloud gaming service?

Both services offer PC games that potentially include Microsoft-published titles, but it seems impossible to imagine that these would be made available via a PlayStation device. In fact it'd be odd to think of any PC game running on a PlayStation 3 or PS Vita, but that is now a technical possibility.

We'll just have to wait until June 4 to see if it's a reality.

Update:

Independent of the original VG247 leak cloud gaming service Gaikai has apparently started sending out invites to an E3 press conference. Or at least that's what French website Gameblog.fr is claiming.

According to translation of their story by forum NeoGAF Gakai's invite reads as follows:

Gaikai has major announcements for E3, which has the potential to change the future of video game, the game consoles and the way in which we play.

Given the existing Sony rumours it's pretty tempting to try and put two and two together...

Hmm. Cloud gaming. Anyone interested in that?

Hmm. Cloud gaming. Anyone interested in that?

Not really, I only recently realised I've only logged into OnLive about 4 times since launch, and not at all this year.

I thought it might become a decent way of demoing games, but I can't even be bothered to use it for that.

I think it could a good thing to have as part as PS+ if they're going to continue with free online next gen. But I'm not sure it'll be cheap enough for it to become a bonus like that. Cloud gaming isn't unplayable, but it needs to be much cheaper to the customer to make it worth bothering with

although them future proofing their tvs in case is a good idea

And since we have the crappest internet in Europe then our network needs a severe kick before things like this get taken seriously. I've not even tried Onlive due to me just thinking it'll be judder-y as hell on my 3mb connection.

But I suppose I could see me using it in the future. I've severely reduced the amount of DVDs I buy because of Netflix so who knows.

The rumoured deal between Sony and Gaikai will allow PS3 and maybe Vita to play old PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 1 games, GamesIndustry International reports.

Sources say the deal will be for first-party Sony games, but that the service will be open to third-party publishers who want to flog their old games.

It's all going to be announced at E3 during Sony's conference on Monday. That conference takes place from 2am Tuesday morning here in the UK. Eurogamer will be covering it live on both sides of the Atlantic.

Gaikai already has plenty of publisher partners on PC. And Sony obviously believes there's an appetite for PS2 games, because there have been HD Collection re-master releases of games like God of War, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank.

The launch fleet of 60GB PlayStation 3s could even natively play PlayStation 2 games. But Sony put an end to that party.

Exactly what the rumoured Gaikai and Sony partnership will entail remains to be seen. It could stretch far beyond PlayStation 3 and into Vita and Sony televisions and tablets.

GamesIndustry International also points out that it could be a tester for a backwards compatibility streaming service on PlayStation 4, which would be tasty like a lollipop.

Good news for those with PlayStation Plus, and may tempt a few to go for it.

Starting June 6th, there will be an Instant Game Collection of 10 games to choose from ready to download and play as part of the updated PlayStation Plus subscription, with at least three being updated monthly. The launch line-up includes Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, as well as Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD, Renegade Ops, Chime Super Deluxe, Outland, Darksiders and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

As part of the 10 games available, there will be a PlayStation Plus Game of the Month. This will change every four weeks and represent the best PlayStation Store has to offer, including brand new download-only games and Digital Blu-rays.

Additionally, as part of their subscription, members will have access to three digital Blu-ray titles from SCEE – inFamous 2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse and LittleBigPlanet 2.

PlayStation Plus will also deliver some of the best games in production from smaller, independent developers. The first game to be included as part of this new offering is Retro/Grade, the arcade shooter with a twist from 24 Caret Games and will be available later this summer for eight weeks, at no cost to subscribers.

Nice!

• 4 weeks later...

Ed, this is probably a daft question, do you get the game just for a month?? or is it available as long as your a plus member??

Was thinking of getting the 3 months sign up today, looking at the games i thought i would get some mileage out of it, would be great to get a vita game now and then as well.

They're yours until you stop subscribing to PS+. If you cancel your sub and then re-sub a few months down the line, you will still be able to access them.

Just make sure you 'purchase' the game during the free period, even if you don't download it. You'll be able to download it from your transaction history at any time, as long as you have Plus.