Sly Reflex

The Hot Topic

I like the look of the Vita and would gladly buy one, if someone else gave me the cash for it.

The launch lineup looks better than the 3DS's did (and still does tbh) but the only game i'd really want to play would be Uncharted, and that's not likely to last too long. The graphics it can produce are impressive (although I won't qualify that with the usual "for a handheld" as they're just impressive full-stop). Not sure I like the placement of the second analogue stick, seems like it would lead to chronic clawhand very quickly, the (optional) 3G on the device is also pretty redundant considering the limitations placed on it by the network operators. Proprietary memory cards are also a massive no-no in my book, just use SD ffs. Also, what's with you being forced to control the UI via touchscreen only, makes navigation rather cumbersome at times.

Overall: Meh. I don't think it's terribly expensive for what it is but it's the games that make up the value for money and there's nothing out to hold my interest atm.

its a gorgeous piece of kit.. that fucking screen!! but i dont want to play diet uncharted or diet wipeout, and pay 200 odd quid to an all

big companies always seem to put the b-team on these portable counterparts to their big screen blockbusters, understandably too its a much smaller market but these are not games i want to buy a vita for

I'm not getting one - I'm all handheld-ed out. I am really pleased with my 3DS, which goes everywhere with me, and I recently got an iPhone 4, which is keeping me well amused with its augmented reality nonsense. Also, I've got stacks of console games piled up in a corner hardly played. I really cannot justify increasing that pile with a new handheld, and all that entails.

Hells yeah I'm getting one. I wasn't planning on it, until my wife asked me what I wanted for my 30th, and mentioned the iPad or that new PlayStation thing. I thought long and hard, and ended up going for the Vita. I can't wait to get it.

I think the hardware is very good value for money, considering all the stuff Sony have managed to cram into this device. I can't see it receiving such a huge price cut like the 3DS had. The biggest downside for me, and this is typical Sony and their proprietary memory cards, is the cost of the the memory and the fact that they don't even chuck a 4GB in the box to get you started. The majority of the games have a note on the front of the case that mentions the game requires a memory card. You absolutely need one when you purchase the system. Thankfully places such as Amazon (who have the best deal) throw in a card. I managed to get my Wifi model with 8GB card and Rayman Origins for £224.99.

Portable gaming has always appealed to me. The way you can just put the system into sleep mode and carry on later is a godsend to me, being a parent of two young children. If I can get near PS3 experiences on this little thing, as well as the more condensed titles, I'm happy. In the PSP/NDS days of yore I was always a Nintendo advocate, but in these Vita/3DS times I can see that changing. I love my 3DS, but haven't played it anywhere near as much as I thought I would. I spend most of my time on it playing classic Game Boy games. The Vita has a stellar launch line up in my book, both retail and PSN wise. Sony are being sensible and pricing their PSN games at very tempting prices, too. MotorStorm RC is under a fiver, and that's for both the PS3 AND Vita versions. A new Super Stardust for £6.49, or get the DLC included for an extra one pound and fifty pence. Great stuff. They're milking Uncharted for all its worth, though, pricing it a tenner above all other launch games.

So yeah, other than the memory card issue, I'm all for the Sony Vita. I really hope it takes off, Sony seem to be doing the right thing from the off and it deserves to be a success.

Completely agree with this, and I think that the big sticking point of the memory will go away fairly soon actually, the fact you can get the memory cards from anywhere means that the price wont stay high for too long past launch, so its just a case of getting one that will allow you to limp by until then. As the saying goes, the proof of the dicking is whether or not you get aids, so will have to wait and see how the first week goes, but already with stuff like Gravity Daze on the horizon things look promising.

I agree with the portable gaming thing, I used to spend aaaages just sitting and playing shit like Dynasty warriors on the PSP when that was first out, and it was just the fact that you could sit on the sofa and have other people around you doing what they wanted and then just pop it into sleep mode when you felt like joining in or had to do boring shit like cook dinner or pay the butler and so on.

As with anything, it all comes down to the games. I don't want a Vita right now. I had a PSP on launch and hardly played it compared to all my other handheld consoles, it's currently sat in my computer desk collecting dust. I just feel rather blasé about the Vita, while I think it's an extremely nice bit of kit, right now I don't think it's worth the money or the effort it would take to land one.

I thought maybe I'd get totally hyped for the Vita in the same was I did for 3DS, but I'm really not feeling it at all. The current line up I have no interest in apart from Everybody's Golf, but I could just play that on my PSP if I wanted. Sure the Vita version probably looks better and all that, but not £200+ better.

I think I'll be sitting this one out until the prices eventually dip and it has a good catalgue of games to pick through, although even then I'm not sure I'll bite.

Here we go.

The subject for this week's Hot Topic was suggested by reader Gadfly, who asks one simple question: which multiplayer game have you spent the most time on in your life?

It can be either offline or online, but which game have you spent the most hours playing? How did you first get into the game and what was the initial appeal? What kept you playing instead of moving onto other games, and what do you think makes it superior to other similar titles?

How good do you think you are at the game and how important is it for you to win, compared to just enjoying playing it? Do you play with a regular group of friends and are you a member of a clan? If it's an old game does it have a modern equivalent and if so what do you think of it?

Could see some lengthy replies to this one.

Since I connected my 360 to my Raptr account, the largest time recorded has been Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2, which is unusual as I didn't enjoy that as much as the first Modern Warfare. I would think that Call of Duty 4 is the most played game on my 360 by a long, long way.

Goldeneye, I played the shit out of that.

But I would still guess it would be Call of Duty 4 for the most time ever.

World of Warcraft, by a long fucking chalk. Been playing since 2006, just before Burning Crusade came out, that's nearly 6 years worth of playtime.

Surprisingly the game still interests me greatly (despite a few brief patches where I didn't play much) and looks like it will do going into Mists of Pandaria and probably beyond. Azeroth is like nothing else in gaming, it's such a lore rich world, so much to do and see. I've tried other MMO's, most recently SWTOR, but they just don't have the same appeal as WoW probably due to how fleshed out the world is and how solid the gameplay has become over the years.

I used to be heavily involved in raiding and guild life, was guildmaster for a while, leading raids and such but it became too much of a commitment so I took a step back. Now i'll raid here and there if there's something organised I have time for but mostly I just enjoy playing relatively casually and chatting with guildmates.

I've said about this numerous times before, but mine is a toss up between Final Fantasy VII and Gran Turismo.

Me and my friend played nothing but those two games for an entire summer, did everything possible on both of them.

I also poured god knows how many hours into Time Crisis on the Play Station, but only the first level. I could do the other levels fine and also finished the branching thing as well, but I was obsessed with the opening level. I got so good at it, i could take out bad guys before they had appeared on screen, just clipping the pixels. I'm still convinced I had one of the worlds best scores on that opening level, but it was pre-internet, so i never knew.

::EDIT::

So this dude here is making a fist of it, but not bad. I've pretty sure my best times was in the 2:35's

Which multiplayer game have you spent the most time on in your life?

Probably Super Mario Kart on the SNES

How did you first get into the game and what was the initial appeal?

Ever since the first screen shots in Mean Machines, we were all shitting our pants. My mate imported the American version for his cement brick in November 92 and the PAL version came out in Jan 93. At the time it was the greatest game i'd ever played and i loved it more than my mother.

What kept you playing instead of moving onto other games, and what do you think makes it superior to other similar titles?

The SNES was/is the king of consoles that had an amazing library of titles, but the constat 'back-to's' were SMK and SF2 with SMK just edging it. We either played Grand Prx, Head to Head or Battle mode and we played it constantly. People complain about the original Mario Karts controls and i understand it if you werent there in the first place, it can be hard to slide and the corners are sharp and the courses have a lot of rough patches that take away speed. Give it the time it deserves and you'll find the controls are tight and far superior to all versions that followed. Its these awesome controls, great vearition of game modes and superb course design that kept us coming back.

How good do you think you are at the game and how important is it for you to win, compared to just enjoying playing it?

The amount i played it i know without being big headed i was pretty good. As for competition, i was fiercely competetive with my best mate and one of my cousins. Winning was bragging right and it felt good to call everyone a cunt with conviction. Ive stated before about mimicking the noise the feather makes to get my mate to shoot his red shell at me and the game was so tense he fell for it. It was all enjoyable though, abxolutely classic times.

Do you play with a regular group of friends and are you a member of a clan? If it's an old game does it have a modern equivalent and if so what do you think of it?

No.

I would say Fifa 10.

Roomate had it in college, it was the first modern Fifa game i'd played, my most recent football game being Pro Evo 4 and before that Fifa 2000.

What kept you playing instead of moving onto other games, and what do you think makes it superior to other similar titles?

Well we lived together for 2 years so, that certainly helped. Fifa 10 and Halo 3 both got played to death, but certainly more hours were put into Fifa. There's no mystery to the addiction of Fifa. It's one of the most engaging games you can play, and one game quickly turns into 2,3,4,5,6...

How good do you think you are at the game and how important is it for you to win, compared to just enjoying playing it?

I certainly got a lot better over the two years! I was the worst out of the 3 of us, and lost more times than i won, but i had my share of the wins too and i was well able to hold my own. I would say in that period i easily played a couple of thousand matches, but i've never played it online so i don't know. I certainly amn't into the finer tactics or tricks of the game so i'm sure i would be destroyed online. I'm sure i could give a game to your average Fifa fan though.

Do you play with a regular group of friends and are you a member of a clan? If it's an old game does it have a modern equivalent and if so what do you think of it?

Not any more, life goes on i'm afraid...

If i was talking stricty online multiplayer then thats easy (and slightly obvious).... the Gears of War series, with the multiplayer whenever a new game comes out the older ones mp never gets touched again so its exclusively Gears 3 for me at the moment. Don't know why i enjoy the gameplay as much as i do, i'll freely admit that sometimes i feel like lobbing the controller at the tv but when it gels theres no better feeling for me.

Offline mp's slightly harder to judge, its not something i do now what with everyone being older, married and all that grown up shit. If i had to pick one game though it would probably be one of the PES games on Playstation 2, had a fair few fun (drunken) nights playing those.

Probably Battlefield 2.

I wasn't keen on all the twitch based FPS where you had to rocket and grenade jump around levels.

Friends kept me playing. Also, the mods were brilliant, I miss how much devs and community used to bolster up games with content. I guess it still happens in PC to some extent.

Play to win, although I was never that brilliant at BF2, although my job within the clan was to sneak into a base a tink (a gaming phrase no longer used?) every last vehicle they had. I sort of prided myself on being good enough to get in and out without getting killed, although my shooting game sucked massive gonads.

I do not play with any of my clan members any more. Even if we were all still playing I doubt we'd be playing together. The modern equivalent is great if you have a PC good enough to run it at full settings.

It can be either offline or online, but which game have you spent the most hours playing? How did you first get into the game and what was the initial appeal?

I played loads of halo 1 in uni, just 2 of us it was great so with loads of people online i thought it'd be even greater. never played much online before. so when halo 2 was coming out, i tricked my parents into getting broadband (well it was a lot better as me and my dad could go on the internet and my mum could be on the phone all at the same time instead of fighting for the phone line, i didn't tell them i really wanted it to play halo online). i played with guys from the dvd forums because i occasionally posted on there. it was amazing. the game was amazing, and i made some great friends in the process. sunday night halo 2 custom tournaments we had was some of the best gaming i've ever partaken in.

i'm pretty average, we win more than we lose but a good team will still destroy us. i used to just enjoy playing when we had lots of people to play custom games in halo 2 it was more about the fun. now, playing halo 3 and reach, people moved to cod so we had less players so play more matchmaking/ranked games which in turn makes it more about the winning.

played with loads of people/friends in the dvdf clan as above. still play reach probably far more than i should (with some of the same people), in some ways i think it's improved, in other ways got worse. starting weapons are much better balanced these days. but the maps probably aren't as good overall, and i'm not too keen on some of the armour abilities. they've added some amazing stuff like the theatre and forge. like someone said above, i still enjoy it, but also can get really angry while playing :unsure: