Sly Reflex

The Hot Topic

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

Garnet still has a cute butt, tho

It would be better if it wasn't one foot off the ground...🤣

12 hours ago, Nag said:

I skipped 9 and have no desire to ever remedy that... the whole big head dwarf look puts me off massively.

Seriously though, 9 is great, you should give it a chance.

Maybe if it's ever in a really good sale... and I can set the ratio wrong on my TV to stretch them out a bit. @Jimbo Xiii

abrm_screen_psvr_e32018_00012_1528771430-6a39.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss their favourite VR games and sing the praises of everything from WipEout to Beat Saber.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Ishi and asked whether you’ve ever played VR on a modern console or PC and what you thought of it. Were you impressed by the technology and what did you think of the games you played?

We were a bit worried about running the topic as not everyone can afford a VR headset but the response was one of the most enthusiastic for months, with everyone seemingly highly impressed by the technology and games such as Astro Bot and Moss.

Bit of a shit question for those who haven't tried it or just aren't cared, we'll just have to keep ourselves amused until next week.

I've not played a huge amount, and I think I've talked about this before, but the Resident Evil 7 kitchen demo really impressed me. It's the demo they put out that could be played either VR or not (it might have been remixed a bit), but in VR it really adds something. There's a bit where you're tied to a chair, if you look down your hands are bound, which you end up moving as such because you've got a controller in your hands. The really cool moment was that a woman crawls in to the room, I was saying it looked cool but the people watching me play had no idea what I was talking about, seemingly I could see her in VR but she wasn't displayed on the tv

Beyond that, and this is probably a bit predictable, but Astro Bot is the best thing I've played in VR. It does scale well, and it finds ways to have gameplay that works because of VR. Similarly Pixel Ripped 1989 I guess, it's not as good a game, but it has some really good ideas that wouldn't work as well in a traditional game, they're almost AR rather than VR ideas

Elite Dangerous in VR with Hotas controller is pretty incredible. Confusing as fuck for someone who doesn't know how to play Elite in the first place, but I can see how amazing it would be for someone who knows how to control that game.

Super Hot and Beat Saber are amazing and make you feel like a Matrix/Jedi Master.

There's a lot of downsides to VR at the moment but we're on the cusp where we're headed in the future. It's early days and we'll eventually end up wireless, super light weight and something like Google Glass.

I’ve been impressed by psvr, I like trying odd stuff like this and am usually left with various plastic tat that has doesn’t get much use, whereas this has been pretty well supported. Stuff like beat saber and super hot are amazing in vr and some stuff like dirt rally, Rez and thumper, that don’t really need vr, but they play really well in vr anyway. Also stuff like Astro bot and eagle flight were really nice too.

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Elite Dangerous in VR with Hotas controller is pretty incredible.

When the Rift S comes out, I'll be trying this, all being well.I hope the price of the  thing isn't astronomical, no pun intended.

Been really impressed with PSVR but admittedly don’t use it too often.

Still want to play Astro Bot, Beat Saber and The Persistence on there plus Blood & Truth when that comes out next month.

I’ve played a bit of PSVR and it mostly just makes me feel ill. 

Weirdly the one game that didn’t make me want to vomit, and the one I managed to play for the longest, was Ace Combat 7.

VR is a cool concept, but not one I’ll ever buy in to. 

9 hours ago, RikSP said:

I’ve played a bit of PSVR and it mostly just makes me feel ill. 

what games did you try? i mean it's different for everyone but games where you use the left stick to look left/right without actually moving your head (like that dinosaur one and rigs) are the worst generally - these make me really sick. and stuff where you don't move in game unless you move in the real world (like beat saber and superhot) - are good - as in much less chance of feeling sick - i don't feel sick from these at all. so yeah i guess i'm just saying if you were playing fps controls type stuff, don't let that put you off trying other stuff that might not make you feel ill.

personally i find things like eagle flight and dirt rally to be more in the middle ground, i can play them for maybe 30 to 40 mins but then start to feel ill.

Beat Sabre is the only game I've seen that I'd like to play.  But I still don't want my own VR.  I wish arcades were still around because it's the only way I could see myself getting into VR.  Just pop a few quid in for half an hour.