Sly Reflex

The Hot Topic

Normally see @Nag's latest on a Sunday, so time for a brief interlude. Are there any gaming series (or standalone game) you miss, that you know probably won't be coming back?

I miss Bloody Roar. Being one for the more imaginative aesthetic, as a Fighter series, BR ticked almost as many boxes for me as my favourite series (Mortal Kombat). Unfortunately, ownership of BR went to Konami some time ago now, so that in itself is the kiss of death. RIP.

I was hit with unforseen technical issues @OCH...

nartrailer_print01_1516709993.jpg

GameCentral readers pick holes in games they otherwise love, as everything from The Witcher 3 to Dark Souls comes under fire.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Edone, who asked what it is you don’t like about the game or games you otherwise love? How would you fix the problem and what effect would that have on how you – and the wider world – think of the game?

We had plenty of suggestions, from recent hits to older titles, although Red Dead Redemption II did come up more than most. Although most people admitted they didn’t really mind the flaws as long as the rest of the game was good.

As for the game series I miss? Final Fantasy... Yeah, I'm going there. I miss good old honest to gosh turnbased Final Fantasy.🙁

OCH  I've been trying to think of something that I wouldn't usually pick for a game I want back that isn't coming back. I want old style Shining Force back, it's not going to happen but that and Panzer Dragoon are games I'd always pick. Half-Life I still, stupidly, hold out some hope for. Sleeping Dogs? I'm not sure I'd actually want them to try to recapture that now but I definitely did want another at the time. I can't think of anything really old though, Shenmue and Streets of Rage are both happening

for the Gamecentral one, I love the Witcher 3, but weight limits and weapon degradation can fuck off. I really liked the last Thief game, but the layout of the city was so stupid, that's before you get to all the bugs and weird loading it had. It was a bit of a mess but I loved it

Indeed @Sly Reflex ...Hmm, I wonder what I would say????😜

The Souls series and... The Online component. I thought the notes on the ground thing was clever (In Demon's Souls IE The First Game) as with the ability for people to call in help, when some players are basically rubbish at certain bosses/levels. The rest of it? 🙄

What does PvP have to do with False King Allant/Gwyn/Nashandra/Gael? Nothing what-so-ever. Likewise with Invasions. The Souls games are each noted for having parts missing from the actual game due to time constraints. It is sad to think The Broken Archstone, Oolacile etc could have been ready day one, if time and resources wasn't wasted on a Faux-Multiplayer option that ultimately amounts to nothing within the context of the finished product.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

You're opening a real can of worms with this weeks question @Nag.

That's a good thing... Sometimes.🤣

I wouldn’t say I love Red Dead 2 at all. For all the praise the story deserves,the actual gameplay was a fucking chore. The only way to fix that,would be to tell Rockstar that realism does not translate to fun gameplay. And that their wanked-out control scheme needs updating.

Anyway,I’d go with God Of War,and improve it by putting a more varied amount of enemies and bosses in. For the most part,GOW was great. But the constant reskinned enemies and bosses really let the side down. And had me thinking “the previous games were better”.

I'll go with the complete obvious ones that are the the vehicle segments in the original Gears trilogy which are all absolutely shit.

As fun as Spider-Man was, the padding with so many combat challenges was a bit much. Fuck pigeons too.

1 hour ago, Bigkopman said:

Fuck pigeons too.

I can go with that, pigeons were shit in GTA 4 too.

template-1f12.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss the best video game music of the current gen, from NieR:Automata to God Of War.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Ishi, who wanted to know what you think has been the best video game soundtrack for the modern formats? What do you think of current trends in video game music and do you think this generation has been better or worse than previous ones?

We had so many different suggestions that there wasn’t really a clear winner – which seems a very healthy sign – although Red Dead Redemption II, Celeste, and Persona 5 did come up multiple times.

I'd probably have to go with Nier : Automata myself, it's certainly the one that jumps to mind whenever soundtracks get mentioned.

Typically, I don't pay too much attention to OST's, that said, my 'Current Gen' pick is Super Mario Odyssey... Because, yeah

Sonic Mania.  It's just remixed tunes from the 16bit games but they sound so good tidied up by new technology.  The hooks are so infectious.

But I dunno what to say here.  I'm always bobbing my head to a lot of game music.  Going back to Axiom Verge recently reminded me how much I like that soundtrack.

This kinda ties into the part about whether today's soundtracks are better or worse than previous ones.  But it's an odd thing to ask as it's just so much broader now.  Some games are scored like Hollywood movies but then there are also those that use cleaned up chiptune, using catchy melodies in a similar way as those games previous.  But that's just two examples.  There are many other ways how games are scored now.  But new takes on old music is also really cool.  Mario Kart 8's is awesome for that, too.

NieR: Automata has the greatest OST of all time, let alone this generation.

Bloodborne is up there, too.