Sly Reflex

The Hot Topic

Thinking back there were a few games I felt a little disappointed with last year, not because they were necessarily bad games... Just not as good as I was hoping for or expecting.

State of Decay 2 - had fun with the game but so much more could've been done with it.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - you could tell that it wasn't Crystal Dynamics that finished off the trilogy, it's a shame as the first two are some of the best adventure games out there.

Shadow of the Colossus - fuck that horse!

And then there's the biggy... Good ol' Red Dead Redemption 2, how disappointed was I in you!

Dragon Quest XI definitely. I think we were blessed that the first three Dragon Quest games we got in Europe were brilliant (8, 4 and 5).

Shenmue 1 “HD”

People have been banging on for years about how it’s the best game ever made so I was expecting something great. I wasn’t expecting it to live up to the hype by any means, and I was well aware of the Black Car/Sailor/Chinese memes so was at least expecting it to be fun. But it was just shite. 

I enjoyed the story and dodgy dialogue and acting, but mechanically it’s a hot mess. And forcing the player to work at the dock for the last third of the game is rubbish. 

“Oh, but it’s supposed to be like real life!!” they say. Piss off, it’s a game about revenge and martial arts. Imagine if Game of Death stopped for an hour so we could watch Bruce Lee work in a super market, it’d be shite. 

So yeah, Shenmue. Shenmue 2 was much better... Until the last 4 hours. 

7 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Dragon Quest XI definitely. I think we were blessed that the first three Dragon Quest games we got in Europe were brilliant (8, 4 and 5).

DQ 8 is still one of the best games ever made.

3_1417869914.jpg

With Valentine’s Day just gone readers name the games they enjoy playing together the most, from Mario Kart to The Walking Dead.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox could involve any game and any era, and likewise any partner – whether you’re still with them or not – but we wanted to know which games you have enjoyed playing the most in co-op or multiplayer, or where one of you watched the other playing.

Unsurprisingly, the most popular choices were co-op games you could play together on the same couch and narrative-led games where both players could make suggestions on how to proceed, with the common complaint being that there just aren’t enough of either type of game.

Monster Hunter 4, Ultimate, and Generations. 

Girlfriend and I used to cuddle up on the sofa with our 3DS’s and wreck monsters for hours. 

We both bought MHW but barely touched it as playing. Not that it’s a bad game, but playing in separate rooms just isn’t fun. 

We’re looong forward to Dauntless releasing on Switch so we can play if together like we used to play Monster Hunter. 

Seeing as I never had a serious Girlfriend up until last year I can only really talk about recent experiences.

The Missus is besotted with Minecraft and part of the reason I got an Xbox last year - so I could play with her in her realm on there and learn the ropes. Before I got the Xbox the only games we could play together were Play Anywhere Xbox titles (we never played these though) and stuff like Fortnite as I was on PC and her on Xbox.

So Fortnite became the Go-to game really. We had lots of fun but famously never got a win in Duos together 😂

We tried to play A Way Out in couch co-op when I was over there in the Summer but she got bored with it pretty quickly and we never went back to it.

As she still hasn’t really taught me Minecraft I usually sit around doing nothing when I play with her and her mates - which is rather boring - so I have tended to avoid it a bit, so we haven’t played much together since December. 

Then Apex came out 10 days or so ago and she really likes it - far more than Fortnite, I think she’s a little better at it than me - so we’ve been absolutely hammering that together whenever we’ve both got free time.

I've never sat and played a video game with the wife, I've seen how she handles a duelshock though and it's pretry woeful to be honest... her Gran Turismo replays were hilarious.

To be honest it's nice we have different hobbies, I think it's good for a relationship to have a little space and different likes.

My other half is into MMOs, but I'm not.

We played Phantasy Star Online and Guild Wars quite a lot (which are more like Diablo than MMOs really). In the PS2/Xbox days we played Dynasty Warriors too.

These days, we play Overwatch. A lot. It's her first competitive shooter, she's not great at the aiming, so she tends to play the support or tank characters (at first she used to aim the end of the gun at enemies instead of the aiming reticule 😂)

Caz only plays phone games. I'll sometimes catch her watching over my shoulder, stuff where there's conversations going on like the Telltale games or particularly The Witcher 3 pulled her in and we'd sit and talk about it.

I actually showed her that Witcher cinematic that was posted in the thread a few days ago and she said if that was a TV program she'd sit and watch it. It completely slipped my mind that they're making a Netflix series so I'll tell her that if I remember to.

It's weird because I've been in several relationships where she has gamed, but there's never really been a cross over where we'd sit and play. I think the Gears Trilogy might be one of the few games I've actually played with a significant other.