Sly Reflex

The Hot Topic

8 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Why did I get called into this what is even going on rn

I wanted to see if you were still around 😁 Or if you'd gone AWOL too, like Maf, and leave me all alone at the New School....

Missing out "some" in your sentence isn't minutiae, it changes the very dynamic of your point.  It's hardly a meaningless typo. 

I think it is important to accurately state your point as it just wastes time clearing up "I meant" back and forths. 

"It seems some are just content to be carried to the final cutscene. Where is the reward in that? Let alone the value for money??"

The final line. Where I bought my all-inclusive point to a close. The context itself applied to the entire comment, not just a line.

Is this thread about gamer skill not mattering anymore? I feel like Pious' reference points are not super up to date as outside of Switch he has probably not witnessed how game design has shifted back to a point where "difficulty" is not a dirty word anymore. Now it's more around how do you make a game that can be difficult but also respectful of the limited time available to an audience which isn't just kids and teenagers but adults with life commitments.

Hence ink ribbons being an option in RE2 and not mandatory

Well to speak to the point of value it's totally subjective.  Yes, some people may be just satisfied with seeing the conclusion to the story because it's why they are there.  I dunno what else there is to say about it.

There was a writer at BioWare that once threw out the idea of being able to skip combat sections in RPGs like you can skip a cutscene and she came under a lot of flack for it.  I think the idea is fine.  It's not an option I'd use but if you're just there for the story I can see it being a useful thing if you think another element of the game is getting in the way of your enjoyment.

Ultimately, there are many successful story based games with simple gameplay and also plenty of successful games that are hard and have a deep well of mechanics, and everything in-between.  Both have an audience and there is no need for an either or.

16 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Is this thread about gamer skill not mattering anymore?

I think so, or perhaps an attempt to gloat.

Games used to be tougher originally primarily due to memory size and also most either being ports of arcade games, or still being tied to the legacy of those games, meaning they're designed to eat your pennies. Once gaming shifted away from those tropes, so did challenge. The fact that you can still get games that offer similar style and challenge means that the want is still there. However gaming is much more vast and encompassing than it was 30 - 40 years ago, so games have to appeal to different players, styles and situation. Personally I think that is no bad thing. Everyone can find something that suits their style of playing and they don't have to look that hard to find it.

12 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

There was a writer at BioWare that once threw out the idea of being able to skip combat sections in RPGs like you can skip a cutscene and she came under a lot of flack for it.  I think the idea is fine.  It's not an option I'd use but if you're just there for the story I can see it being a useful thing if you think another element of the game is getting in the way of your enjoyment. 

In RDR 2 I would sometimes throw Arthur Morgan headlong into his death cause they would popup a dialogue box to skip the action if you died a lot.

I mostly did that tho cause I hated playing that game. The missions were just dull rubbish. But that's the one example I can think of a game which technically does let you skip stuff.

13 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Well to speak to the point of value it's totally subjective.  Yes, some people may be just satisfied with seeing the conclusion to the story because it's why they are there.  I dunno what else there is to say about it.

I might have the details of this wrong, but I think I remember Dara O'brian complaining on a Charlie Brooker show that he hated when he got to a difficult bit in a game and couldn't progress he'd get annoyed because he'd paid for the game and the content was being locked away. It's an interesting way of looking at it, something unique to games, no other media works like that 

3 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

that sounds like a great idea, there's some really long games that sound like they have a great story that i think i'd like to play like that. yeah that would impact the value but just wait for a sale or something. (one i was thinking of here was rdr2 so interesting to hear it already sort of does this)

i think i mentioned this difficulty thing in another thread too and did a bad job of explaining what i meant, i think all games should have difficulty levels because different people are good/bad at different games and so it's good to have the options there so more people can enjoy different games...and i'm still doing a bad job of explaining it. oh well. and yeah that includes harder modes as well for anyone who wants an even greater challenge!

i also don't like the stigma that seems to be attached to playing games on easy. people should just do whatever is fun.

i guess i can see the argument the other way that having the easy option means less people will get good or whatever, which is true, but i think the benefits of the easy option outweigh that personally.

Spoiler

also thanks for sticking up for my gaming skillz guys :blush::lol:

sottr_review_screenshot001_online_1536569174-53c1.jpg

Readers name the games they were most dissatisfied with last year, including Battlefield V and… Red Dead Redemption II.

Last week we ran our annual Readers’ Top 20 of the year, so this week it seemed sensible to ask what had been the most disappointing game of the previous year. It didn’t need to be a game you thought was actively bad, just one you consider to be overrated.

We got plenty of obvious suggestions, although not as much about Fallout 76 as you’d expect (perhaps because people already guessed it was going to be bad before it was out) but by far the most common suggestion was Red Dead Redemption II – even though it was also the fourth highest game in the Top 20 of the year.

I'm not exactly current with the games I play, so I'll go with the game I've played most recently that I found disappointing. LoZ: Breath of The Wild. That would make the last two main series Zelda games that I really didn't care for (Skyward Sword and BoTW) and left me completely cold, to a series I've adored since 1992. Maybe an indicator Aonuma should step aside. Then again, these games are still making money and positive critical reception, so I doubt that will happen.

It would be Red Dead 2 for me as well. As I mentioned above I ended up deliberately dying on some missions to use the "skip" function cause I got so sick of the lack of choice in missions. Anyway the game would fail me out whenever I dared to try and think outside the box. 107 missions of this.

Better off rewatching Deadwood tbh if the game part is going to be so strict.

Listening to Dan Ryckert over on GB about RDR was really interesting. Went from his most hyped game as a sequel to his legitimate favourite game from the 360 gen to one of his least favourite games ever when he actually played it

I'd be repeating myself if I talked about Ni No Kuni 2 again, but it's that. Such a boring game which is a shame because I loved the original

instead I'll say The Fall 2. The Fall is one of my favourite indie games from the last few years. It's a clever story with some good puzzles, a memorable character, and some decent Flashback style combat. The Fall 2, maybe it gets better, but it focuses on a long puzzle with a robot butler early on that is frustratingly obtuse, made worse that the butler character is astoundingly bad, and completely ill-fitting for the world. I wanted to stick with it in the hopes it was just a rough start, but the actual start was a rough start, the butler section is just so bad that you forget about the first 15 minutes. Maybe one day I'll go back to it, but it really is only that I liked the first game so much it's even still installed

Ni No Kuni 2 for me too. 

It’s like they took everything that made the first one special and cut it out, instead injecting shitty strategy sections, dull characters and cut-price voice acting. I was looking forward to this game for a very long time and it just disappointed me in almost every regard.

I guess more recently Gris too. Looks magnificent but is just so boring to play, played for awhile on the Plane and just couldn’t bring myself to go back to it.

DQXI also disappointed me slightly. I know it’s meant to be like the ‘Template JRPG’ but it was still a little more cookie-cutter than I was expecting. I’ll still give the next one in the series a go though as I did still enjoy a lot of it, it’s just a very unbalanced experience for me.

Vampyr. Life Is Strange was brilliant,so I had high hopes for this. Unfortunately,those hopes were very much dashed when I played this.

The combat is janky,which made fights much harder than they had to be. Every character has a phone book sized level of conversation,very little of which is actually interesting. I didn’t want to skip through dialogue,but after 10 minute conversations with literally everyone,I had to,to actually get anywhere. 

I quickly hit a difficulty spike,so decided to feed on as many NPCs as possible. The game warns you this leads to a bad ending,but by that point I just wanted to level up to progress further. Unfortunately this wasn’t allowed,because I hadn’t got far enough into the story to unlock the dialogue option that allowed me to kill them.

So I gave up. Utterly tedious. Not just one of the most disappointing games of 2018,but of my entire life. A massive letdown.

As an aside, I did wonder why I heard so much (understandable) hype when Ni No Kuni 2 was announced and nothing since its release. 

28 minutes ago, Blakey said:

DQXI also disappointed me slightly. I know it’s meant to be like the ‘Template JRPG’ but it was still a little more cookie-cutter than I was expecting. I’ll still give the next one in the series a go though as I did still enjoy a lot of it, it’s just a very unbalanced experience for me.

Me and Maf warned you! 😛

I know, I do think it’s funny that @Maf ended up loving it though @one-armed dwarf 😂

I am still glad I played it though and I did enjoy it, it just wasn’t the second-coming of JRPG-Jesus like I thought it would be 😂.