passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fringe

Hendo

A mate bought me the first series of Fringe on DVD so I spent yesterday going through that, I'm about 5 episodes in so far I think.

It's been mostly really good but some of it does feel very old fashioned and forced, like the way they use the mad doctor's son as an interpreter to the audience. Like, his father will say a bunch of stuff and then he'll translate it to the woman but he might as well just turn to the camera and speak directly to the audience.

It's good though, very X-Files mixed with Lost but tighter and not as sprawling as Lost. And the mad doctor is funny. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished series 1 of Fringe, blasted through it in under a week, watching as many episodes as I could in a day.

It's really good but I remain cautious as it reminds me a lot of X-Files and that started out excellent and then lost its way. If series 2 is out, I'll have to pick up a copy.

Has anyone checked out Channel 4's stuff on youtube? They were advertising on the front page that they were pushing Father ted episodes for a lazy Sunday and I checked the comedy page and there's loads of stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDComedy

I could spend all day going through them.

• 3 months later...

Bought series 2 of Fringe last week, watched the first disc today, awesome stuff.

There was one bit though that I just found too hard to believe (yes, among all the supernatural stuff in there).

The episode with ex-soldiers as walking bombs.

Peter finds a cop's badge at the airport, then they find an ear and they decide instantly that the cop was responsible for blowing up. They weren't even looking for a cop, or had any kind of lead on what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made it to disc 4 of Fringe. I keep making the mistake of putting it on when I'm eating my tea.

And to think when I kept hearing everyone praise this show called Fringe, I just thought, "Why would I want to watch a show about hairdressers?". But then again, Desmonds was awesome. Pork Pie!

• 7 months later...

Watched the series finale of Fringe, series 3, tonight.

Just plain odd!

Won't spoil anything but the very last thing doesn't make sense but then that's what you get when you deal with time travel changes in telling a story.

Fringe series 1 and 2 are amazing. Walter is perhaps the true star of that show - "excellent! Let's make some LSD....."

Series 3 is a bit all over the place, they cover a lot of ground (and the rest) but it's been good going back to the first series after watching the other 2 as a lot of things in the first are really well planted for the future.

• 1 month later...

Just started watching Fringe, on episode 3 so far. I like it, very X-Files and Walter is a brilliant character, however the one thing I'm slightly concerned about is every episode so far has been the

by-product of something

Walter

created before getting put in the crazy house

, then back tracking

to solve it, usually by some nonsense

deus ex machina. Does this happen every week? if so I can see me loosing patience with it.

Also, Pacey, still got it.

It's not every week but it happens more often than not. Try and stick with it though as there is an over-arching story that builds up as the seasons progress.

Really enjoyed the last season, some great episodes towards the end.

Sometimes the whole "Oh, this is very similar to a project me and Belly did in the '70's...." seems very contrived but without really spoiling anything, everything really does revolve around William Bell and Walter and what they did.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Only just started watching fringe, finsihed the first season which i got on blu-ray as a whim, Just ordered the complete boxset as it works out cheaper then buying them season by season. So far really enjoyed the first season, although i must watch too much tele as some plotlines i had guessed before they revealed them, Walter bishop is a great character just plain crazy in a great way!!

and spock as william bell?? made me laugh!!

I've been watching this on Netflix. I'm not sure I like it, it seemed very forced and strained at points.

OK, we have a problem. We're gonna fuck about for 30 minutes then pull a solution out of our arses 5 minutes before the end. Characterisation is good though.

Mentioned in the TV shows thread, but ive just started watching this and the pilot episode is awesome, I understand that the first season is a drag but so far so good. Id love to play this as a game.

Honestly, I didn't find it a drag at all. Sure it takes until seasons 2/3 for the real story to kick in but it's all really enjoyable TV!