passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Columbo

Hendo

Bought myself the full Columbo box set for half-price a few weeks ago so I've been making my way through that, just finished the second series.

One of my favourites from the second series is the one with Leonard Nemoy, he plays the surgeon who tries killing a patient (also a surgeon) by using dissolving suture to tie up a fake heart.

There's also a good one with a pair of twins and Columbo has to work out which one killed the victim.

I got that too. In the cigar box? The Nimoy ep is awesome. Columbo totally loses it with him ^_^

Yep, cigar box it is. :)

I'm onto the last disc of series 3 and I'm not liking this thing they started doing, showing a 20 second highlight reel of what's to come. I know we get to see the murderer do the deed at the beginning and everything but that is somewhat taking the piss.

Watched another Robert Culp favourite last night where he splices stuff into film reels using subliminal messaging. Poor stupid feckless film projectionist. :(

I'm tempted but it does sound a horrible concept with bad execution. So in that case I probably will!

Also I expect you already know this but for anyone else, Columbo officially has never had a first name but his badge got a close-up early on and we see that he's actually called Frank. Sad little facts like that make me happy.

ColumboBadge.jpg

I thought everyone knew what Columbo's first name was? :unsure:

The best thing about Columbo for me is the template it's set on and how it's executed to push the story forward. It's a pretty unique way of doing things that allows certain scenes to be explored. Cracker did stuff like this. Fuck I love both those shows.

• 1 month later...

Finished series 4 of Columbo, unfortunately I ended it with the bonus feature on the disc, an episode of Mrs Columbo, which takes the same idea of seeing the murderer do their deed and then the detective work it out.

She isn't anything like how Columbo describes his wife and supposedly the show kept failing so they kept changing it.

Due to the negative critical and public reaction to the show, the producers fairly quickly started making changes. The spin-off was renamed Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective, and finally Kate Loves a Mystery. The main character was likewise renamed "Kate Callahan", and all references to and ties with the original Columbo show were dropped – the character was no longer supposed to be Mrs. Columbo or to have any connection with him at all.

The episode itself isn't terrible but the way they shoehorn stuff in like the dog, the old car, talking about her husband being in the police, etc, it's cringe-inducing.

• 1 month later...

I'm back on more Columbo, I expect I'll have it all finished next year at this rate.

I've started series 5. The episode had lots of Arabian characters so it's quite funny (and also a little sad) how they populated it with not-quite-white people. Some Italian looking men, a man who looked a little bit Indian, a very white woman and the rest were clearly white ass men.

• 1 month later...

The Columbo marathon continues - on Series 5, just watched one of my favourite episodes, "Now You See Him".

As with many of them, the guy who plays the killer has been in a few before. Previously he was an untalented author killing his writing partner as he was trying to dissolve the partnership. This one he is a magician who is being blackmailed as he is an ex-Nazi war criminal.

Watched the episode after that one above and it started rubbish, then got interesting and then ended poorly.

It starts out as normal and you think you (and Columbo) know who the murderer is but then he gets killed and it turns into a proper whodunnit but then it ends with one of the poorest ways of the actual killer tripping themselves up.

Maybe only Lakitu has seen this episode and may agree with me:

Why would the killer acknowledge that it wasn't the victim's watch? Surely your reaction would be similar to the others if they were the only person to know that it was busted?