passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Saints Row The Third

DANGERMAN

seemingly the gaming press' favourite game ever, and it's actually not bad so far. As a highlight from the first 3 levels I've done, I jumped out of a plane and caught a girl, then as we were parachuting the plane tried to ram us, so I told her I was going to shoot the window, kill the pilot, kick the bad dude in the face, grab another parachute then jump back out of the plane and catch her again. Sure enough that's what happened and it was fucking awesome

Beyond the set up things I'm less convinced. The gun play is fine, though it could do with more aim assist I think, and a melee attack button would be nice rather than having to switch out (which is admittedly just a button press). I've yet to do any real GTA stuff, a few minutes driving but that's about it, but I should be at that point now.

One problem I have encountered, and I think this is down to A. Playing via OnLive and B. playing via OnLive wirelessly. The driving wasn't great. You aren't punished for killing people, or at least I haven't been, nor for accidents, but I found myself correcting a lot and having crashes caused by the AI drivers. But yeah, compared to the rest of the game it was very jerky (though it might also explain the feel of the shooting)

I can see why people love it and I'll definitely be putting in a bit more time over the weekend

I'm really enjoying this so far, it's the perfect companion game to fit in between Skyrim sessions. It's also great to flick on for 10 minutes as there's always something to do just a few button presses away and it never punishes you for anything. You're always progressing some total or another whether it's your respect or towards an achievement. The missions are a massive improvement over the standard sandbox fare, at least the story missions have been so far anyway. I hope they manage to keep it up through the majority of the game.

Not sure the issue is down to Onlive tbh. I've found the AI drivers are generally shit and constantly get in the way or randomly swerve in the road angry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 20% through this apparently even though I've only really been dabbling, it's good, and genuinely pretty funny. So far I've almost exclusively been sticking to the story missions, which have all been fairly straight forward, although they've had a few difficulty spikes.

My issues with it so far, bar one or two of the story sections throwing a bit too much at you for you to see what's going on and recharge your health, are that I'm never really sure I'm fully aware of what I need to do, like if the game got more complicated you'd just be bewildered by the missions. It's also a bit too hard to lose your notoriety level, you can just go back to a crib, but it could be easier. That said this morning I'd just nicked another gangs car which might explain why they were chasing me.

I think I've worked out my driving problems on the game, it does seem like the onlive computers aren't up to it. Since my first play there's now less traffic on the roads with a shorter draw distance, so it does look like they've had to drop the detail down to get it to run.

Highlight so far has to be Oleg and his nakedness, oh and the auto-tune guy

• 3 weeks later...

Very early on in this, done bits with choppers and a bomb I think.

It really is a "video game-ass video game".

I probably spent about half an hour on the character customisation bit, I would probably still be on there. I was so tempted to make something ridiculous, most likely with a zombie voice. In the end I went a fairly standard woman but with a Russian accent.

Finished this, the last couple of missions aren't amazing, but then they do make for a good end. In fact the last quarter of Saints Row 3 has as much variety as most games in their entire length.

There's not much else to say about it, it's flawed, especially when played via OnLive but it's very funny at points, certainly hard not to like. Oh, and if you do want to carry on afterwards you get lots of stuff to play with for completing

I tried this back in MCM last year, tbh there didnt seem to be a selling point for me, just pissing about as you do in these type of games, i bought this purely based on what my friend told me about the 2nd mission

You skydive miles above the ground to catch a falling comrade, only to throw her off again, go through a windscreen of a plane, throw your parachute to knock out a goon, kill the guy at the end and nick his parachute

Just hearing how ridiculous it sounds got me interested.

I completed this earlier this morning, i love this game! Very addicitve. The more you do, the more rewards you get back. I think im on about $31,000 a game hour (20 mins?)

I'm pretty much a walking machine now, i dont think i take damage from anything, plus i have infinite ammo. Carnage galore!

It did suck when the server was down and i wasnt able to download my character i made in the initiation station, i've pretty much stuck with the default female emo.

Santa got me this which was nice of him. I thought it was amazing. Honestly after watching a lot of the videos before release I was kind of disappointed that the world felt so empty when you were outside of a mission or activity. Quite often I would see something in the distance and think, "ohh, exciting" only to get there and find nothing of interest at all. After Skyrim that felt especially disappointing in an open world game.

However that is pretty much my only complaint. It controlled well and there was an insane amount of variety in the missions. They managed to get over the biggest problem most sandbox games have of drive to A, shoot B, back to A over and over again and because of how ridiculous it all was there didn't seem to be any limits on what they could do with missions.

I struggle to think of a highlight of the game. Currently the final choice while 'I need a Hero' was playing, the Zombie level, the VR level or the Wrestling bit are all jumping up and down and shouting that they were it but I think they are all fibbing because I can't choose.

Generally when I play a game I am just there for the ride for the first part and then I just want it finished so I can play something else. There are generally a handful of exceptions to this a year like Gears, Skyrim and Infamous where I would be quite happy just to play them forever and there are even fewer games that I am actually sad to see finish. SR3 is definitely one of those. After 25 hours or so I have done pretty much everything except a handful of challenges, assassinations and car thefts. Hopefully the planned DLC will be substantial and not extortionately priced, or if it is we will see a much more reasonable bundled retail version in time for next Christmas.

I probably spent about half an hour on the character customisation bit, I would probably still be on there. I was so tempted to make something ridiculous, most likely with a zombie voice. In the end I went a fairly standard woman but with a Russian accent.

I started it today, spent ages on the customisation too. I very nearly went with something bizarre and stupid, but in the end decided I'd rather have a normal-ish* looking character and let the craziness in the game speak for itself.

*he looks a bit like a middle-aged 40's cinema idol, so not entirely serious.

Played everything so far in co-op with the Norwegian Haggar, it doesn't make it different, it just happens that there's someone else in your game with you, helping out. Kind of like the co-op was in Crackdown, rather than Gears of War.

This is kind of a spoiler for early on in the game, but not really, so I won't spoiler tag it.

Giant Bomb have mentioned a few times that they didn't realise that Johnny Gat was dead till near the end, but it's fairly obvious, I thought. Plus there's a few references, like "that one's for you, Johnny!" and characters talking about missing him.

The other point that I've found absolutely true is that the missions are like end-of-game stuff in normal games. Usually, you have to play quite a lot before you get to use satellite-guided missiles, or unlock your own private helicopter to use rather than a car, or missions where you pilot a speedboat to a massive ship, leap onto it, kill everyone, rescue the prostitutes and blow up the helicopters and boats coming to get you.

Also, the penetrator. :wub:

And run button followed by get-into-car button.

And the way you finish off the brutes.

Fuck, I'm turning the Xbox back on.

This is kind of a spoiler for early on in the game, but not really, so I won't spoiler tag it.

Giant Bomb have mentioned a few times that they didn't realise that Johnny Gat was dead till near the end, but it's fairly obvious, I thought. Plus there's a few references, like "that one's for you, Johnny!" and characters talking about missing him.

Yeah, I can't say I ever felt it was at all ambiguous.

Game journalists do seem a bit dense sometimes. I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to the "professionals" on podcasts know less about a game than me - who just reads their website.

I've only played a couple of hours so far, just following the main missions for the most part. I did one of the guardian angel missions too, which was really good.

They made it seem like hes dead near the beginning, i thought he was going to make a return later in the game.

The story missions in this are such fucking mental fun. I did the bit with the 'Ho Boat through to where STAG shows up last night.

Open world stuff is never my favourite, but it's more enjoyable here than most games of its type. They've made flying planes and helicopters pretty easy, flying around the city taking out gang operations in a helicopter gunship is really fun.